SAU Community

Compression Test

Richo

If anyone has the tool to do a compression test to my car and can come up to my place an give me a hand, I just dont want to drive it, in case it blows up on me or something.

Its got biblical ammounts of oil in the intercooler and pipes (blow-by) and its dropping oil pressure badly.

So, help a fellow member! , remunerations in the form of your favourite alcohol beverage, are in order. :devil:

Cheers

Ric

A long time? what's different between an rb20 and a 25? a 25 doesnt take long to do. remove crossover, coilpack cover, coils, injector crank it over.

Is it a redtop or a silvertop? ECCS or NICS?

I'm sorry I don't have the tool Richo but maybe give James from TypeX Motorsport a call:

http://www.rpmlounge.com.au/bdir_typex.php

He's a good bloke, can do anything with any engine. might be able to help you out, but naturally he doesn't work for free. If it's only the tool you need then it shouldnt cost you much.

Edited by Mike_

Thanks guys, it is a silver top ECCS btw

No worries Mike, ill give him a call and see if I can borrow his tool.

So should I be able to do it myself if I get the tool, How hard is it, never done before?

Cheers

Ric

Whats this tool we are talking about? is it like a gauge or something,

Do you need a different tool to do a Leakdown test? or the same does the job? Sorry for my noobiness the first time I have to worry about the engine on my car.

Cheers guys

Ric

Edited by Richo

you want a screw type compession gauge. Around $30-40 from any automotive store.

also id say its not piss easy, considering most cars it takes about 5-10mins for a compression test, it takes like an hr to do a compression test on a rb. take of crossover and all pipes, remove cover, remove coilpacks, test, etc, put it all back together

Richo, it's a screw in guage that you screw into where your spark plug was. Theres no point in doing it yourself if you don't know what you're doing. As Enrico says it would take you over an hour (if you didn't have help from someone who's done it before), but if someone with the knowhow can help you out it will take 20-25 mins. Leakdown test is completely different.

If you're an RAA member you can call them and ask them to do it for you, if you need a mobile service. Get a quote first as to what it would cost you, but I assume it wouldnt be cheap. about $100 or so.

Edited by Mike_

Yes I know its pretty bad, maybe time for a new RB30/RB25 and new turbo to suit :) *looks at very empty wallet* :D

Mike: I was behind you getting into the city carpark today, I remember your car because of the RPM sticker on the side, it was you wasn't it?

Cheers

Ric

Edited by Richo

you want a screw type compession gauge. Around $30-40 from any automotive store.

also id say its not piss easy, considering most cars it takes about 5-10mins for a compression test, it takes like an hr to do a compression test on a rb. take of crossover and all pipes, remove cover, remove coilpacks, test, etc, put it all back together

you obviously dont work on rb's alot or lack experience. its just as fast as doing a compression test on a sr. i do both all the time.

I can't possibly see how it is just as fast to do a compression test on an RB compared to an SR. The SR you can literally be done in 10 minutes. On the RB you haven't even gotten the darn rocker cover off by then, well on a NEO anyway. POS.

I have a compression tester tool if anyone needs to borrow.

:thumbsup: me, me. ill PM you Busky.

I have an offer from a fellow enthusiast to come help me out, but if it falls through, Ill take you on the offer of the tool.

Cheers

Ric

I can't possibly see how it is just as fast to do a compression test on an RB compared to an SR. The SR you can literally be done in 10 minutes. On the RB you haven't even gotten the darn rocker cover off by then, well on a NEO anyway. POS.

Why you taking the rocker cover off? I'm assuming you mean the valley cover, mine hasn't been on for the last 2 years. ;) And NEOs well they've got that lovely plastic turtle shell too.

Also when does time equate to difficulty, I never said it was necessarily quick, who cares if it takes him an hour or even 2? This isn't a WRC service stop.

lol!

Mitsu RalliArt team: ok boys, we got broken rear suspension, engines running rich, air intake filled with leaves, radiator is ~ 80% clogged and we have 3 inch tread missing from rear right tyre... and we got 37 minutes to fix to the next stage... lets get to it!....

Rico: Ok... compression test... want it done in under 25 minutes... neighbours is on at 6:30pm...

Guess which one gets everythin done within half an hour first?

jks :P

Mike: I was behind you getting into the city carpark today, I remember your car because of the RPM sticker on the side, it was you wasn't it?

Yep that was me!!

my rpmlounge.com.au stickers do me proudly :P

Also I would help out but a) I don't like doing anything to anyone elses engine, because i dont want to be responsible for any f**kups.

and b) you said you need it done urgently and I'm full on for the next few weeks. I don't have any spare time I'm sorry! (I write on the boards when im at work)

Yep that was me!!

my rpmlounge.com.au stickers do me proudly :yes:

Also I would help out but a) I don't like doing anything to anyone elses engine, because i dont want to be responsible for any f**kups.

and b) you said you need it done urgently and I'm full on for the next few weeks. I don't have any spare time I'm sorry! (I write on the boards when im at work)

Its all good mate. no worries. One thing though, can something actually go wrong while doing this compression test?, just want to be aware of possible risks, and see if I can avoid them.

So the Rocker covers stay? just need to get the valley cover off, is that right? then get the coilpacks and

coils out to expose the spark plugs and finally remove them, yeah? Shit I am so useless. hahaha