SAU Community

Compression Test

Richo

Best disconnect the injector loom, no point spraying fuel about for no good reason, what else could go wrong?

Well you could drop a bolt down the spark plug hole, but that's easy fixed with a magnetic pick, everyone who doesn't own one, buy it now, they cost nothing and you'll wonder how you survived without.

The above leads to this, make sure you clean out any crap around the plugs before removing them, a good blow (teehee) should sort it.

Ummm... try not to cross-thread any bolts (incl. sparkies) when putting them it back in, always tighten with your figures first, then the ratchet.

Yes, rockers stay, only the valley cover needs to be off, the cross pipes can even stay if you have some extensions and uni-joints, it's fiddly but has worked the last few times I've changed spark-plugs and/or coils.

Yeah thats right. Before you take off the coilpacks and again before you take out the spark plugs, make sure there is nothing in or around them that might fall into the engine. Generally people do this with an air compressor to be sure.

Also dont let anything into the air intake when you take off the crossover. Generally a very clean rag or cloth over or pushed into the intake piping (both exposed ends, and the ends of the crossover if you want to be sure)

In all honesty though, it sounds like it won't matter if there is something very wrong with your engine!

oh also take note of how tight the spark plugs are when you remove them. Don't do them up tighter than this when you put them back!

Also, you must not have been in your car yesterday if it's off the road. what were you driving? Did you see the security guard yelling at me for giving it a bit? :yes: I was running late!! haha

Edited by Mike_

Thanks guys. Will keep that in mind for tonight.

No, I wasnt driving my car yesterday, I was on the GF's car, I did notice the guy there looking at you, but I thought he was just admiring the car :) didn't hear him go off at you, I must have been just getting in the carpark.

Gotta love giving it some in that carpark, setting alarmas up as you go, specially if you have a screamer pipe, not that I do :ph34r: ...ever. I mean that would be stupid. haha

Anyway, ill se how we go tonight with this guy, ill let you guys know the results.

Ok here are the results! Have to say big thanks to Dangerman4, went out of his way to help me out, thanks mate.

1- 152

2- 150

3- 151

4- 152

5- 150

6- 149

So as you can see the results are quite good, and im pretty happy to know there is nothing wrong with the engine.

A Catch Can is on the way and also will be looking for a new turbo, cause we reckon thats the culprit.

Cheers

Ric

im fairly sure its the turbo.

theres no blowby that i could find and obviously the comp test lookes good.

i cant think of any other way to get a cup full of oil in your intercooler.

the turbo was only installed recently, and may have been sitting around for several years without use.

give it a hard time and bam goes the compressor oil ring.

thats what my moneys on anyway.

and cheers for the beers Ric

Thanks guys, oil level its fine. Im paranoid now and checking it everyday to make sure its all good.

After installing the catch can, ill be able to rule out the rest and blame the turbo. Damn im going to have to buy a bigger one :)

How does a GT2871R sound for an RB20? laggy or not?

Cheers

Ric

A mate of mine is selling his turbo off his Cefiro(RB20 obviously) I'm about to post it up for sale for him, below i have copied and pasted what he sent to me in a message:

HKS 25 30, external gate (plumb back integral dump), Intake pipe, Dump pipe, all lines, clamps, nuts etc.

Bolt on rB20 unsure bout 25

$1600 o.n.o

Very interested, just how old is the turbo, did he buy it new? why is he selling? ill PM you in a minute.

Cubes, im looking at around 220rwkw on an everyday basis (say 15psi) , and maybe 235rwkw max when extra grunt is needed.

Cheers

Ric

A mate of mine is selling his turbo off his Cefiro(RB20 obviously) I'm about to post it up for sale for him, below i have copied and pasted what he sent to me in a message:

HKS 25 30, external gate (plumb back integral dump), Intake pipe, Dump pipe, all lines, clamps, nuts etc.

Bolt on rB20 unsure bout 25

$1600 o.n.o