SAU Community

Stage 1 Boost Controller Installed Into R32gtst, But Doesnt Limit Boost At All.

Howieau

Heya,

We put a Turbosmart Stage 1 Boost controller into a R32 GTST, yet when driving it doesnt limit the boost, the boost just keeps pushing out until you take the foot of the throttle.

We have it running between the turbo and the actuator. Weve tried changing the direction in which it points, checked the pipes for kinks or holes, made sure its all correctly installed but it still has the same problem. We tried various settings on the boost controller itself and we even tried the boost controller in another car and it worked fine. Is there something we have missed?

I have come across a topic or two on these forums that mentions something about a boost solenoid? Could this be the problem? I searched and searched and couldnt find anything further on the forums or on google.

Whats the go with the boost solenoid in an R32? Should it be 'blocked' or 'bypassed' or something as I have read?

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I havent been able to get a picture yet.

But Im thinking, the control arm that runs from the actuator to the turbine side of the turbo (the wastegate inside), should you be able to move that with your hand? Left and right?

I cant, does that mean anything?

• 1 month later...

hey guys, this is actually my car we are talking about. as howie said, we have swapped the direction of the controller just incase the arrow on it was pointing the wrong way, we have checked the hoses and all that being very thorough and still nothing will work. im not that worried about it at the moment cuz its running about 12 psi. also the other night when i was coming off an on ramp at full boost, the car sounded normal below 5000 rpm, however after that it started to make a noise kinda like a baby screaming. its got me thinking, could the turbo be starting to fail from the boost not being properly controlled? its a weird thing thats happening but any help would be greatly apprectiated.

also when you put a fmic on a 33 you have to run a hose from the piping to something else, otherwise it just keeps on boosting, so do you have to do the same for a rb20?

cheers

Standard RB20 turbos have a nipple on the compressor housing which the wastegate actuator is connected to.. my guess is that the actuator rod should not have any play in it as this would let the wastegate move uncontrolled.

You say that you're not that worried about it now as it is running 12psi.. does that mean it is controlling boost now?

My understanding of the turbosmart controllers is that they are a bleed valve, meaning they bleed air off requiring more pressure to open the wastegate than is normally needed. Tried winding it in at all? that should reduce boost.

its running 12psi but thats without the controller... just a line from nipple to actuator like stock. we did try winding it but still did the same thing, might have another go tmrrw.