SAU Community

*Adjusting* the factory BOV in an R33

HOTR33

Hey All.. A Concept that I've been familiar with, but never gone into ... is Adjusting the Stock BOV to get a 'fluttering' sound..

Apparently you block something.. but as I've not given any thought into it.. I've not tried anything..

So Does anyone know what the go is with adjusting your stock BOV to get a Fluttering sound?

Cheers..

U sure ur not refereing to blocking off the BOV, so it gets bypassed and all u get the 'fluttering' of the cooler? I tried that on mine, waste of time really, u loose all the responsiveness, and the tiny stocky cooler doesnt really sound 'fully sik'!

you block the return pipe form the bov, and due to the fact the air can't escape it goes back through the turbine, which is bad for your turbo so i suggest you do not do it! the fluttering sound is called compressor surge! sometimes you can get the flutter sound because your bov isn't tight enough but that is only for aftermarket bov's, this is why vl turbos, the early ca18 silvias make this flutter noise because they never came out with a standard bov :) this would be the 50 millionth time this has been explained

adrian :)

p.s:- never thought a 17 yr old would be explaining this to older people :)

Originally posted by chopobo

the intercooler makes a sound?

yea...i think the bigger the cooler, the more the air has to pass through(making noise as it passes) fluttering because it bounces one direction to the other(i think)

wat i did to get that noise waz stick a bit of metal at the joint of the bov.....but dont do this, i had stalling problems..so i took that out and bought an actual bov....and i STILL got stallin probz eheh

why not just keep the standard bov. You get a nice sound with a pod. and if u want get a short alloy pipe from your turbo to replace the rubber hose. sounds even louder when spooling up. or just stick the pod off the turbo like they do on rotors.

either way i'd always go plumb back bov, unless i was running some type of aftermarket management, or safc so i could prevent stalling.

but u can run with no bov. people say its bad for your turbo, that compressor surge. I'd say not entirely true. Depends. If i had an auto i would run no bov. Like a lot of the hot vl turbos. As they just flat to the floor and no taking foot off throttle, thus no pressure being released anyways. And when you take your foot off in an auto, you aren't normally looking to speed up. Cause you dont have to change gears, so basically to slow down, so no lost throttle response. Thats my theory anyways.

but yeah, cars are confusing. so many ways to do stuff, but i say dont fix it unless its broken.

Guest INASNT
this would be the 50 millionth time this has been explained

50 millionth and 1 now! :(

leave the stock bov alone unless u r planning a big power upgrade with new turbo etc!

this would be the 50 millionth time this has been explained

first time i've seen it :(

yer, stock BOV makes enough noise.. if you run 12psi or so it sounds cool anyway. That flutter noise is kinda cool when you hear it but then again its also talking to the cops going "canary me, canary me" at the same time.

Lot'a the aftermarket BOV's can do it properly .. so i'd be going for one of them if u really have to have that noise.

Originally posted by dabigbolf

but u can run with no bov. people say its bad for your turbo, that compressor surge.  I'd say not entirely true.  Depends.  

agreed.

even with a manual too... cause if you can change quick enough you can catch the boost spike... and then throw the extra few psi down the plenum's throat.

As for it being bad for your turbo... not really THAT bad.

in the end you'll need to have it re-built anyhow. Running no BOV only makes it occur quicker.

But still your turb's will last a few years. It's not as if it'll give up the gohst in 2 weeks.

I don't run a BOV at all. Much prefer to catch the spike and light tyres till 7500 RPM :D