SAU Community

More *hoon Events :)* At Sandown.

West

Let's pretend for a second, that MRC gives the go ahead for "more" events to be held at Sandown.

Even if MRC approved it, the council wouldn't, especially if its "hoon events"... the behaviour displayed by spectators at "hoon events" is the exact same behaviour which is trying to be discouraged.

Anyone who has ever attended an event at Calder would be aware of the types of behaviour which are exhibited by heroes in the car park, and the burnouts and dangerous actions which are undertaken by people as they are leaving events of this nature.

Other factors:

trackside db limit

Residential area

Track is not suitable for drag racing of any sort, and it's unlikely MRC would pay to have sections of the track resurfaced every 12 months so that the track is in good condition for the 500.

People don't seem to realise that events are held at Sandown constantly.

Track meets are a regular occurence, as are motorkhanas and driver training events which are run in the car park section.

If people want to involve themselves in events, all they need to do is seek out the clubs that are holding the events.

.......but I suppose sitting around whinging on a forum and firing off emails to a local newspaper (who ultimately have no say in the matter) is a viable option if people would prefer to sit on their hands instead of doing a bit of research and actively involving themselves in motorsport events which are already available to them.

This is an instance where I'd be happy for people to prove me wrong.

I'll eagerly await the results, and councils response to the feedback left by everyone, but I reckon you're all just banging your heads against a wall similar in size and construction to that of the great wall of china.

Good luck

:wave:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id pay to do a easternats type thing on a friday night at sandown.

Its a facility that is here and seeing that the area is meeting place for car enthusiast all around melbounre I think it would be a top idea!

With any sport, there has to be a venue. Guys that like flying R/C planes have areas to fly em, people like to race go karts they have a place, people like playing tennis/football- theres a place.

Where is the place for us who enjoy cars. Why should we drive 1 hour away, sometimes even 3 hours away just to get a little time and spend a load of money to open up our cars.

I dont think its events @ Sandown being a problem in terms of quantity... its the type...

Drags are the things people want, circuit isnt for everyone and khana's either. I've changed view, i much enjoy watching circuit and cant wait to get into it.

But drag has a far greater following, and there is nothing out east

I feel like I'm having the same conversation on 2 forums at once.....

..oh wait..... I am ;)

But drag has a far greater following, and there is nothing out east

Latrobe?

The only problem with Latrobe, is it isn't on a busy road in Noble Park, so again, people will cry that it's too far.

Sure, it would be great if every suburb had their own drag strip.

But they don't.

...and as for the other sports mentioned, it's the same thing.

I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but if people are interested in a certain sport, they will do what it takes to participate.

Not every suburb has a go-kart track, but I don't see people pull their karts out and turn the roads into kart tracks.

Not every suburb has a facility for flying RC planes, but I don't see the enthusiasts setting themselves up on a highway so they can fly their planes.

"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time, but don't ask me to drive a few measley k's to go to a safe venue to do it"

Honestly I can't see a problem with the lack of facilities.

If it something that people really want to do, they will do it.

Even if it means relocating, moving house just to be nearer to the types of facilities that you want to have around you to enrich the lifestyle you choose......

EG; if you've got 12 kids, you don't buy a house with no public transport and no schools within 300 k's and then complain that there's no public transport and no schools nearby :)

You buy something close to schools and public transport.

I feel like I'm having the same conversation on 2 forums at once.....

..oh wait..... I am :glare:

Latrobe?

The only problem with Latrobe, is it isn't on a busy road in Noble Park, so again, people will cry that it's too far.

Sure, it would be great if every suburb had their own drag strip.

But they don't.

Latrobe?!? You are kidding right?

For starters, it's 1/8th mile strip, and it's 2 1/2 hours from Melbourne. I'd hardly call Traralgon eastern suburbs.

Cheers,

matt

Now you're just being picky, 1/4, 1/8, does it really matter?

If people live in Melbourne, they shouldn't have any problems with travelling to Calder.

If they're not going to travel to Calder, then they certainly won't travel to the eastern suburbs, because the eastern suburbs is at least a half hour drive.

....and yeah, you just backed up exactly what I was saying.

I certainly wasn't kidding.

"Oh my god, I'm expected to travel? Screw that, I'll just do it on my doorstep instead".

People who are keen, will travel.

They will travel interstate if that's what it takes.

It seems that many people are still having trouble coming to terms with the concept that the people who participate in street racing are NOT drag racers, they are criminals.

Providing a drag strip in the eastern suburbs won't combat crime.

Being picky? RIGHT! Most cars will do what - 110-130km/h at the end of the 1/8th mile... Where's the excitement in that? You can do the lower end of that speed on the street legally. Plus the fact that 1/8th mile is hardly a performance yardstick.

Once again - BS. Given driving from Noble park (as an example), you're talking about a travel time of over 1 hour (that's not taking into account traffic) - and at 5:30 on a Friday night to get to calder, you're talking about well over 2 hours, and by the time you get there, maybe 1 or 2 runs because it's already packed. Where's the fun in that?

Why should they NEED to travel if there is a viable option right there? The venue is RIGHT THERE... They already use it for drag races at the Easternat's.

LOL @ Criminals... You're a crack up... So you can honestly tell me that you've never taken off from a set of lights next to a car and given it some, even if it's just to the speed limit? What about driving up into the hills and having a bit of a squirt? Does that make you a criminal? Or what about taking off quickly from the lights in the left slip-lane when you know that it's going to end?

Cheers,

matt

I remember a few yeras ago took me 1.5 from Bundoora to Calder. I left at 4.45pm, right in the thick of peak hour.

I doubt traffic has become any less in this time.

I reckon it could take upto 2.5-->3 hours from out that way.

Thats simply impossible to get a decent night, or make use of the $55 a$$-sting.

It will take some attention away.

People arn't there just to start shit. I was there on the night of havoc and the week before. The week before was just racing. Did not see one dispute. Sure still alot of wanks, although nothing compared to the week after that which was just discraceful and obviously gives us car enthusiasts a bad name.

Good dear god....!!!...i never thought i was Intelligent till this POST came up....!!!.......

enthusiasts a bad - By far the most note worthy definition of a Car Enthusiast.

just racing - I am not even going to bother...

Calders website says competitor entry for drags is $40, is this information incorrect?

When I was working full time I wasn't able to make it to Calder either.

It's not possible to knock off at 5:00, come home, shower, pack the car up with wheels etc and then make it to Calder, prepare the car once there, and still be able to fit in a couple of runs.

Does it really matter?

No.

Because a Sunday at Heathcote is waaaaaaaaaay better than a Friday at Calder. :wave:

matlowth, it's already been explained that Sandown is not a viable option, due to trackside db limits, and the fact that it's in a residential area (amongst other things)

Yes, it's used for drags at easternats, but it's not "set up" for drag racing.

as for your other concerns, there is no law against taking off from the lights and giving it some, provided you don't loose traction while you're doing it.

I have no idea what you're trying to get at with the slip lane thing, I think you may be a tad confused about what a "slip lane" actually is. :huh:

there is no law against taking off from the lights and giving it some, provided you don't loose traction while you're doing it.

If you do it alongside another car, as matlowth suggested, then it can quite easily be labelled as street racing, and bye bye car :wave:

When was the last time we saw trouble at a western suburbs common car meet spot of Noble Park’s scale?

I am sure illegal street drags occur, however they are much more controllable for police than a 500 strong crowd of publicity nightmare like the one at Noble Park. The point is the fact that Calder Park run numerous cruise/drag/drift/circuit nights/days it alleviates the situation. Good for them, police and the council…

There is nothing in the South or Eastern suburbs! I can almost drive to Heathcote on a Saturday morning in the same time it takes to drive to Calder on a Friday night. But the cost of trailering a car to either, plus entry and other expenses make both an expensive time consuming solution. We all understand that Sanddown will not cure the problem but it will help a great deal.

SKY031 people like you are part of the problem not the solution. A true car enthusiast will fight for drag strips and grid girls on every corner. :wave:

Edited by FINER6

Starionturbo you must be special.

I live just as far away from Heathcote as you do, if I can manage the trip, I'm sure you can do it too.

I think before you both start trying to tell me that I'm part of the problem, go and have a read of what's been addressed so far.

I've already encouraged people to do what they think will help, I'm just not bothering to jump on their bandwagon, because I've lived in the area long enough to know that the council simply will not consider Sandown as a viable option for "hoon events".

I don't for an instant believe that the people who race on the street would actually pay to go to a track.

I can remember a time when exactly the same sort of "hoon behaviour" was rife in the west, regardless of legal venues being available to people.

Most of those people either grew up or killed themselves or moved out east so it's now not as prevalent as it was in the west.

Why would it be any different in the east?

I'm not going to bother arguing other points with you, because you seem to spectacularly miss the point...

However... This particular comment gives me the sh!ts and shows exactly how little you know about the car community and it's history.

Most of those people either grew up or killed themselves or moved out east so it's now not as prevalent as it

Are you so naive that you think that the people out west have "grown up" and therefore there'll be no more street racing? FFS - Hoon's are not specfic to THIS generation, and when one person "grows up", there's at least one other young person to take their place.

How on earth can you think that there is no more street racing out west because people are either dead or old???

Oh - and one last thing... How often do you head up to Heathcote? Every weekend? No? Didn't think so.

Oh dear, please don't put words in my mouth and then ask me to respond, and please don't skew what I've said.

I simply stated that it isn't as prevalent in the west as it used to be.

Nothing about "no more street racing out west because people are dead or old".

.....just not as prevalent.

Of course it still goes on.

....and does having a facility like Calder Park available to people stop them from being idiots on the road?

YE.....er..... NO! :P

I am well aware that hoons are not specific to "this" generation, because I've been around long enough to experience more than one generation of idiots on the roads.

... as a quick example of what I mean, (and I know I'm going to cop ultra flamage for this) areas change and grow, so do the residents.

When the residents change, so does the types of crime in the area.

Different classes of residents have different behavioural traits.

Some classes are simply more likely to engage in certain types of criminal behaviour.

Re Heathcote, I don't go every weekend, I don't have the desire, or the need, but if I had either, I wouldn't hesitate.

....and are you sure you don't want to explain to everyone what a slip lane is? >_<

:P:( calder parkthis year is not that exspencive $40 to race.

however another type (maby circute/drift) in the east would be grate, as it gives us more then one option in which to race. maby it should not be every suburb that has a drag stripbut every councile i.e nilumbick, whitehorse. and yes calder does get cramped. i.e. my self and another member from r31skylineclub went to calder last week. we got there at 5.30pm and started raceing at 6.00pm and got in 6 runs each :( however we left at 9.00pm aas after the burnout comps the line was back to the entery point and filling, so i would take over 1h to race for 16sec. so if we had a second or thired venue it would help to elimonate congestion as well as give people who don't live close a place to race.

and r31sky if you can provide me with clubs that use sandown i will go.

email sent

all i got to say is somthing needs to be done, an i hope that they can open sandown for a weekly event, but i dont think it will happen ..... but if you dont try you dont know

thanks WEST for post