SAU Community

Opinions Of R34 Gtr Prices

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see if some of the regular importers had an opinion on weather the price of the R34 GTR's will drop when the new model is released later this year?

Did this happen when the R33 took over from the R32, and when the R34 took over from the R33?

Or, do you think that the high supply and lower demand here in Australia will drive the local price of an R34 GTR down, even if their still commanding higher prices in Japan. Just look at the for sale section, there are people struggling to sell Series 3 R33 GTR's for 30 grand, even though they would still cost low 40's to bring in if you wanted to import from Japan.

cheers

Bobby

Don't think they will move that much in terms of pricing here, because the release of the new Skyline will not affect SEVS stock.

You should probably look at your pricing anyhoo. When I was looking to import late last year Series 3 R33 GTRs were going for high 20s-low 30k landed. And that excludes the rise in the exchange rate we've experienced since.

Don't think they will move that much in terms of pricing here, because the release of the new Skyline will not affect SEVS stock.

You should probably look at your pricing anyhoo. When I was looking to import late last year Series 3 R33 GTRs were going for high 20s-low 30k landed. And that excludes the rise in the exchange rate we've experienced since.

wow, that cheap?

would that be for a mint example or run of the mill?

The few mint examples I heard of have all come in landed for around the low 40's.

Might explain why people are finding it hard to sell in the low 30's.

Thanks

Well R34 GTR prices have not dropped in 3 - 4 years in Japan and it doesn't look like they're going to massively fall anytime soon. You are still looking at 4million yen base price for a good example.

What has come down though is:

- Import Duty - 10% vs 15% four years ago

- Compliance costs

- Value of the yen

- Difficulty in sourcing stock parts

I did the calculations and if I bought my GTR today versus 3 years ago for the exact same auction price I would have saved $13,000. Due to:

- Reduction in import duty

- Increase in the strength of the dollar versus the yen

- Less GST to pay on the combined above

- These combined causing the cost of the car to fall under the LCT threshold

- All this combined causing the cost of the car to be lower for Stamp Duty purposes

- Lower compliance costs due to higher availability of R34 SEVS workshops

So it can be said prices have fallen. The next big fall will be if the government lowers import duty again.

As for local prices. You will only get a bargain locally if someone is going to make a loss if they are desperate. Oftentimes someone will import a dud and scrape it through compliance and sell it cheap here. Is this the kind of car you want though? No.

when's the next import duty % drop?

it's interesting though, because the 34 GTR's coming through on the prestige and j-spec lists seemed to be significantly cheaper than when i was looking for my GT-T in 2004, and was keeping a close eye on anything R34

have the R34 GTR prices really not dropped "in Japan" the last 3-4 years?

when's the next import duty % drop?

it's interesting though, because the 34 GTR's coming through on the prestige and j-spec lists seemed to be significantly cheaper than when i was looking for my GT-T in 2004, and was keeping a close eye on anything R34

have the R34 GTR prices really not dropped "in Japan" the last 3-4 years?

In 2010 the duty will drop to 5% and remain there, this will match the commercial vehicle duty, unless they change their mind like they did before .

R34 GTR prices have not dropped in japan at all in the last 3 years but as they get older you will find rougher cars and of course they will be cheaper . I was there in 2004 and you could find rough 34 V-Spec GTR's there ( rust accident , high ks etc...) from about 3.2 million yen but a good example would be over 4 mil.

As sewid pointed out before our $ has gone from 78-80 to 94 at present and the import duty from 10% to 5% so you could actually escape luxury tax on a car that costs about 4.3-4.4 million yen now .

Back in 2004 you would have to pay luxury tax on a car that cost 3.6 million yen .

I'm sure when they get 17 year olds they will be as cheap as R32's are now ..

Oh course it will go down. Cars (excluding vintage cars) always depreciate generally.

When I first bought my sII r33 gtst, they were going for about 30k. r33 gtrs were going for about 50k.

When the r34 first came out, prices remained the same for a tiny while.

But then even the price of the r34s started to drop. e.g. before, you could only get an r34 gtt for about 30k. They dropped and you can now buy one for 20k. This made the price of r33 gtsts drop.

One thing to note, is that once a car hits rock bottom, they don't really drop anymore, but obviously, this is no where near the case with r34s.

E.g. commos and stuff tend to bottom out at about 3-5k. Once they go to this price, they don't go any lower unless if they're dead. Whether they're 15 years old or 20 years old, it's still the same price.

the same has happened to r32s and s13s. They've hit rock bottom. As they are considered a sports car, they're more expensive than say a commo. In say 5 years time, I don't predict the price of r32 gtsts getting any cheaper.

But yeah, for the 34 gtr, in 5 years, it could be 40k. That is not to say that there is anything wrong iwth those people that have bought it at a high price. They have enjoyed it for all this time, and it is 5 years more modern now then it will be in 5 years time. Just like those that buy new cars, and those that buy second hand.

Edited by MANWHORE

'03 350GT for ~$20K would prolly be a better option than a '99 GT-R for ~$40K. but hey....

yeah it may be, but I tell you now you wont be buying any decent 350GT (especially coupe) for $20K on the road in aus. all the nice ones in japan I've seen at auction go much higher than that and they are still in japan. you may get a high km, thrashed, ex-smoking commuters 4door for that, but It's not worth buying I reckon.

exactly... for what you want... a 350GT is a better option.

and not just straight line, overall performance, a GTR V-Spec is much better choice than a 350GT

i don't think there'd be as much in it on tight tracks or twisty mountain passes as you'd like to believe.

i used to worship at the altar of BNR, but now i'm not so narrowly focussed.

remember-

NA cars need less power than turbo cars to be quick due to better throttle balance/response and no lag

and

the 350GT will have better weight distribution

of course, dollar for dollar, a 34 GT-R would always murder a 350GT in a drag race, but it's hardly relevant in the modern speed camera infested, over zealous cop, stop start cities we live in.

the styling isn't to everyones taste, for sure- but the GT is a much more modern looking car. and they look tops with some tasteful mods.

yeah it may be, but I tell you now you wont be buying any decent 350GT (especially coupe) for $20K on the road in aus. all the nice ones in japan I've seen at auction go much higher than that and they are still in japan. you may get a high km, thrashed, ex-smoking commuters 4door for that, but It's not worth buying I reckon.

yeah- currently. but what i was getting at was, buy the time an actual high-grade early R34 GT-R is worth around $40K, you will be able to get a 4-5 year younger 350GT with brembos for around $20K. which seems to make more sense to me, these days.

i don't think there'd be as much in it on tight tracks or twisty mountain passes as you'd like to believe.

i used to worship at the altar of BNR, but now i'm not so narrowly focussed.

remember-

NA cars need less power than turbo cars to be quick due to better throttle balance/response and no lag

and

the 350GT will have better weight distribution

of course, dollar for dollar, a 34 GT-R would always murder a 350GT in a drag race, but it's hardly relevant in the modern speed camera infested, over zealous cop, stop start cities we live in.

the styling isn't to everyones taste, for sure- but the GT is a much more modern looking car. and they look tops with some tasteful mods.

yeah- currently. but what i was getting at was, buy the time an actual high-grade early R34 GT-R is worth around $40K, you will be able to get a 4-5 year younger 350GT with brembos for around $20K. which seems to make more sense to me, these days.

ah, my bad!. now I get you.

and yes, the 350GT coupe is a very nice car. I've now been in a few and driven a couple and seen heaps in japan. every time I see one I like them more.

I hated the 350GT when I first saw em... however now I am growing to like them... currently in terms of favour (from least to favourite) I'd say R33, R32, V35, R34

V35's look spectacular with the impul kit (Michael Longden at ISASO is doing some nice replica kits for these)