SAU Community

The car would only be used at the drags, she wont be going out for track work. I don't want to compromise the fact she is a daily driver, so cams that make it really hard to get from A - B are something I DONT want.

Thanks heaps for your advise, it has been a HUGE help!

The car would only be used at the drags

the fact she is a daily driver

two totally different setups (not that their isnt a compromise between the 2)...make up your mind what u want from the car, then its easier to set it up.

Annoying when people say i want 1000Hp, but im using it daily to drive 1000kms a week....

Edited by Bl4cK32

two totally different setups (not that their isnt a compromise between the 2)...make up your mind what u want from the car, then its easier to set it up.

Annoying when people say i want 1000Hp, but im using it daily to drive 1000kms a week....

It can be done, but you are really going to need to make sure its done properly, cant skimp on anything.

For example that 1500hp 3 speed supra that is daily driven.

Well you dont NEED massive cams to make decent power and run quick times, take paul's (dirtgarge from here) set-up for instance. on his old engine & set-up which was standard bore 26, HKS 2530's and 264 in & ex cams, he was running low 10's and made well over 400awkw's (thats without NOS).

As per my PM, give the first guy a call and tell him exactly what you want, and ask for his opinion.

Full boost is made (18psi atm) 3500rpm i think...actually to be honest i havent really paid attention. I raced yesterday and i didnt really make an effort to note that sorta thing. Besides we spat the tailshaft out after all 3 uni's busted in half at the start of the first race, qualified 3rd in sports sedans....pissed off. 4k dump off the line, wheel spin for like 2 seconds and then BANG! Maybe if I could have raced for the whole day I may have had time to take a note of it, plus we didnt have the laptop with us for datalogging sorry :)

It is a dedicated track car, so i cant just take it for a drive up the street to find out those sort of things about the car sorry.

P.S I blame SydneyKid for the broken tailshaft :) The only thing that changed was the suspension for that race (oh and the diff)....But I must add the car handled about 500 million times better then before with the teins in it :( cheers gary.

Edited by r33_racer

I have a quick question for someone that has done the conversion.

With regards to the engine mounts, am I correct in saying that I have to remove the ones from my rb26 and put them onto the rb30? As in the whole entire mount with the metal ‘bracket’ that bolts onto the block

Sydney Kid What exhaust houseing size on the gt35/40 did you use in the following setup? and have u got any dyno pics?

Cheers

Jon

[There were very few "brand" name parts used;

Standard RB30 block, crank, water pump, oil pump and balancer

Balanced up & down and round & round bits

O'ringed block and double annealed copper head gasket

ACL Race Series pistons, rings and bearings

Pistons were ceramic coated on the crowns and oil retention coated on the skirts

Argo I beam rods with ARP rod bolts

Std VL RB30 Commondoor gaskets and seals

Fabricated sump with wings and baffles

ARP studs for cylinder head and main bearings

Std RB26 Camshafts, valves, retainers and followers

Performance brand valve springs

Adj camshaft pulleys (no name brand, early Jun style)

Gates cambelt

Ported head with polished and matched combustion chambers

GT35R on a no name high mount manifold with a no name (HKS copy) wastegate

850 cc Cosmo injectors

Bosch 044 fuel pump

Nismo regulator on the standard fuel rail

Power FC

PWR intercooler

Q45 AFM

Run in on the dyno for around 1 hour all up, change oil and filter and get into it.

Calcs..........

632 bhp = 472 kw less ~60 kw (2wd) = 412 rwkw

The average power from 4,000 rpm to 7,000 rpm is massive and it's not straining at all. A/F ratios are not over 12 to 1 anywhere and the knock is less than 20. Cams and a bit more airflow (no more boost required) it would make 500 rwkw easily]

What ACL race series pistons were these?

ACL told me the normal ACL pistons are hyperutectic ones pretty much like the 'ACL race series' (non forged im talking about)

Would it be ok to have these and maybe get the tops coated if chasing 250rwkw?

Edited by VHR32

Guys;

Just wondering how RB30s are treating hard driven (not abused) GTR and RB25 gboxes. I did a search on 'gearbox' here and got some threads from 2003 but that was it; found references to 320 rwkw being well wthin the capacity of the RB25 box, and the GTR box running happily with 650 hp (fly I assume) but not much on torque capability.

I'd hate to have to detune an RB30 so that the gearbox will live and I don't want to shell $5k for a gearset.

Cheers

everyone's gearboxes holding up ok then?

heres my current list of mods!

Do you guys think that adjustable cam gears and cams are my next natural progression of mods?

A new fuel pump and valve springs will be going in at the same time but i figured while i'm getting the springs done i may aswell get the 'cam' stuff too!

Mods are:

fully rebuilt standard bottom end (approx 8:3:1)

standard freshened up R32 Rb25de (non vvt head) will have GTR valve springs soon.

full 3" stainless steel exhaust (custom dump pipe)

600x300x75 intercooler with 2.5" piping

Apexi Ap engineering Power FC

GT35/40 1.06 exhaust housing

gtr fuel pump

gtr injectors

z32 afm

catch can

standard airbox with apexi panel filter and CAI

Tell me what you guys think or if you have any other suggestions on where i should spend my money

Edited by mr_rbman

heres my current list of mods!

Do you guys think that adjustable cam gears and cams are my next natural progression of mods?

A new fuel pump and valve springs will be going in at the same time but i figured while i'm getting the springs done i may aswell get the 'cam' stuff too!

Mods are:

fully rebuilt standard bottom end (approx 8:3:1)

standard freshened up R32 Rb25de (non vvt head) will have GTR valve springs soon.

full 3" stainless steel exhaust (custom dump pipe)

600x300x75 intercooler with 2.5" piping

Apexi Ap engineering Power FC

GT35/40 1.06 exhaust housing

gtr fuel pump

gtr injectors

z32 afm

catch can

standard airbox with apexi panel filter and CAI

Tell me what you guys think or if you have any other suggestions on where i should spend my money

You'll quickly find that you'll soon be maxing out those injectors. So i'd look at some larger ones, maybe 720cc's or even 800cc's (their the same price so y not go bigger). Also depends on what cams ur going for will determine if you need to upgrade ur springs. Also the rb30 wont be revving too hard (nothing near 8000rpm i hope) so you shouldnt need to do the valvetrain if everythings in ok order.

So i'd suggest Sard 800cc injectors, BOSCH 044 fuel pump, some JUN or TOMEI 264duration 9.25mm lift IN 272 duration 9.25mm lift EX cams & some cam gears (not hks ones, as they have been known to slip)

Then a retune and you should be seeing some decent power :D

Also the rb30 wont be revving too hard (nothing near 8000rpm i hope) so you shouldnt need to do the valvetrain if everythings in ok order.

Its just a matter of when the std box goes not when. :P

Mine appeared a tad noisy then one day it just went bang, clunk clunk clunk.

you know not everyone has a bottomless pit for a budget like some people. Though items like that would be nice.

theres 2k there MAX, thats not a massive amount to spend if you come to think of it, hell ud prolly pay twice that for a big single n all the appropriate bits

Its just a matter of when the std box goes not when. :happy:

Mine appeared a tad noisy then one day it just went bang, clunk clunk clunk.

yes, but you see u had a shitty rb20 box didnt you ;)

may i ask wats running behind urs now?