SAU Community

have done some serious searching on the XR6 turbo topic not "that" much out there but from what I can see it should be fairly suited to the 3L bottom end

anyone got anything to add regarding this turbo?

Hi Guys,

Ok well if all goes to plan I am buying a 25/30 in the near future the motor It is one of the RIPS ones from NZ

http://www.ripsltd.co.nz/performance/products.html

It has an R32 RB25DE head I am putting this into my series one R33 GTST motor is being supplied with loom and stock 32 computer, so heres the question:

What will be involved in hooking up my RB25DET PFC to this motor?

I was thinking for ease of conversion just fitting the motor up and getting it all going with the supplied computer later as I can have the car off the road for too long to start with then revisiting the computer side a little later on although if there is not much to it i would prefer to be running the show with the power FC

One thing I was also wondering about will my Splitfires fit this head?

Motor is being delivered with a new XR6 Turbo fitted up, is that basically a GT30? Should it make decent power with that?

Initial goals once I put injectors in would be 300kw (only stock injectors to begin with)

Cheers,

Dan

Why buy an exorbitantly priced RIPS engine when you can build you thats easily as good locally and for probably much cheaper? Spoolup can sell you half the parts here.

Its all in this thread.

I looked into the PFC for ages also and its probably much easier to change the computer. A link G3 computer with wasted spark is a great setup at half the power fc price, simply as you wont find a 32power fc computer, and modifying a 33 one is lots of unknowns

have done some serious searching on the XR6 turbo topic not "that" much out there but from what I can see it should be fairly suited to the 3L bottom end

the xr6 turbo is a genuine garrett 35/40 and is a spot on turbo for the 3L bottom end in respect to topend power and response. Just look at some of the dyno results with the 35/40 and you can see how well it performs. The only difference i'ce noticed is the xr6 turbo has a slightly different front cover (doesnt effect anthing, just looks different), and is internally gated with a 1.06 rear housing. If you talk to different people some will recommend the .82 housing over the 1.06, but i think any difference would be minimal with spoolup time with the 3L bottom end anyway.

Good thing about the xr6 turbo is that they go pretty cheap (all the xr6 boys upgrade) so you can cash in on that. A mate of mine has 460rwhp on 19psi boost on his xr6turbo and another has just pumped over 550rwhp on the stock turbo (gets full boost by 2500rpm). Bloody great turbo imo

Has anyone else had problems getting the crank timing pulley off the RB30 crank?

It's supposed to slide on and off according to the service manual but mine is fairly wedged on. Blow torch and pry bar moved it far enough to ease the crank out of the block but I still need to get the old oil pump off :)

Also, while everyone is talking about turbos... am I being optimistic to think a Trust T78-33D with its smallest (14cm) housing would get close to full boost by 4.5k rpm? I know it all depends on cams, tune and all the rest. I'm just looking for a round about figure to estimate it's response. I don't really want to buy it if it comes on way too late and makes the car useless for anything but the drags.

Block is going off for a bore and hone tomorrow to suit the CP Pistons then I get to start assembling and hopefully I'll be running it in for the new year.

Has anyone else had problems getting the crank timing pulley off the RB30 crank?

It's supposed to slide on and off according to the service manual but mine is fairly wedged on. Blow torch and pry bar moved it far enough to ease the crank out of the block but I still need to get the old oil pump off :domokun:

Also, while everyone is talking about turbos... am I being optimistic to think a Trust T78-33D with its smallest (14cm) housing would get close to full boost by 4.5k rpm? I know it all depends on cams, tune and all the rest. I'm just looking for a round about figure to estimate it's response. I don't really want to buy it if it comes on way too late and makes the car useless for anything but the drags.

Block is going off for a bore and hone tomorrow to suit the CP Pistons then I get to start assembling and hopefully I'll be running it in for the new year.

the harmonic balancer is on a key and is pressed on when the bolt is tighted up, so once the bolt is undone its still pressed on. You needed a harmonic balancer puller (supercheap sells them), and woolaa off it comes.

the harmonic balancer is on a key and is pressed on when the bolt is tighted up, so once the bolt is undone its still pressed on. You needed a harmonic balancer puller (supercheap sells them), and woolaa off it comes.

The balancer is off, its the sprocket between the balancer and the oil pump that the timing belt sits on. I've got a puller, its just got no holes to attach bolts to. I'll probably have to drill and tap some?

It 'should' just slide off, but its being a major pain in the ass

Cubes - they will be a stroker crank for the RB30 block - aiming for 3.4 litre.

Billet forged 4340 with wide oil pump drive.

interesting...

>GT42R or fail :domokun:

RB30 block

actually he dosnt. i asked him when i saw him. unless i misunderstood but he explained his using something else. he complained that a 3.0L was to much of a hassle. he used something smaller size wise. :domokun:

awesome news brad! Kyle was talking about doing a stroker conversion kit for the rb30's to bring it up to 3.3 or 3.4 litres also. But that was a little while ago. If youve got it going already thats great.'

I think we will be due to build a new race motor in the new year when we get back from the states. Depending on price, I could con my father into a stroked rb30 if its not too exxy.

Why buy an exorbitantly priced RIPS engine when you can build you thats easily as good locally and for probably much cheaper? Spoolup can sell you half the parts here.

Its all in this thread.

I looked into the PFC for ages also and its probably much easier to change the computer. A link G3 computer with wasted spark is a great setup at half the power fc price, simply as you wont find a 32power fc computer, and modifying a 33 one is lots of unknowns

Im buying a RIPS engine that someone else imported into australia that didnt end up fitting up in his 260z

$4500 gets me the RIPS RB30DET Motor+XR6 Turbo+Heavy-duty Clutch+RIPS Forward facing Plenum/Throttle body - nothing has been run yet all new

Tell me thats not a good deal?

I had not really thought of it but I guess I could swap the heads on the two motors and I could save myself a bunch of dramas aye only thing is how would that go in regard to the forward facing plenum? would the RB25DE be the same fit up as the RB25DET???

Basically I want the smoothest transition possible...