SAU Community

i thought i saw in his nick/sig 35 at some point.... anyway wouldnt the 30 be a bit on the small side, whats it like to drive cubes? must spool quick

It feels perfect and doesn't ease up until the 7000rpm rev cut.

Its all in a shade over 3000rpm and making a good 7-8psi by ~2400rpm. Extremely responsive. Perfect roll-on acceleration turbo.

I found the GT35 .82 to lack the roll on response in second gear; it felt as if you would always hang level then click third and hammer away; with the gt30 its instant go.

The GT35 doesn't really make its peak boost much later in the rpm but the transient response in comparison is very very noticeable especially in the lower gears.

To drive it feels less laggy and with more torque everywhere than an rb25det with its std turbo.

And the interesting part is for under 300rwkw with the stock exhaust manifold they both make the same sort of power for the same boost. Which is why I don't recommend the GT35 unless your going a nice exhaust manifold and cams to really make use of the potential.

You really need to drive the two setups both on std exhaust manifolds with std bits everywhere to see where I'm coming from.

Was speaking to Tony Rigoli tonight at WSID and he said they make their own sump adaptors but use 10mm sump bolt holes (same as RB26) not the factory size. He said with the extra weight of the sump/diff the standard RB30 holes aren't adequate.

Thoughts?

10mm bolts on what side of the adapter

plate to block or sump to plate?

theres 17 M6 & 6 M8 bolts holding the plate to the block. then theres 8 M6, 7 M8 & 13 M10 bolts holding the sump to the plate. whice imo is more than adequate

Was speaking to Tony Rigoli tonight at WSID and he said they make their own sump adaptors but use 10mm sump bolt holes (same as RB26) not the factory size. He said with the extra weight of the sump/diff the standard RB30 holes aren't adequate.

Thoughts?

I used a RIPS plate before Pro Engines started making them, as far as I remember they use the standard holes and have been doing so for years. When I see an RB30 with the bottom torn off I'll believe they need bigger fasteners.

Cheers

I was only passing on info from a highly respected engine builder....

I took the sump of my rb30 this morning, was actually suprised how small the bolts were but then their were plenty of bolts.

My engine was about to go in a GTS4 when I got it so the block is drilled/tapped for the 4wd sump adaptor if I ever decide to get a 4wd and put it in there (shock horror).

Can anyone give me a fairly close estimate on the weight of and RB30DET for freight purposes Complete motor with clutch and GT3540

any recommendations of freight companies more than welcome too!

need to know asap

does anyone know if a RB30DET with low compression RB30ET ACL pistons with a 3 layer cometic head gasket be a interference engine ? or non intererance ?

Would the valves smash the pistons if the timing belt let go?

anyone know?

update guys. misfire was the injector resistor pack on the inner wing, took some finding but we are there now.

its picks up well when you set off...lol lol

Great to hear mate!

after getting my RB30E and my RB25DE, and taking the head off the RB30E....What is recommended to be done if im wanting to replace

i.e. measuring/checking etc etc

a)main bearings

b)welsch plugs

c)big end bearings

d)piston rings

anything else anyone recommend to replace bar rods and pistons...

Cheers David

after getting my RB30E and my RB25DE, and taking the head off the RB30E....What is recommended to be done if im wanting to replace

i.e. measuring/checking etc etc

a)main bearings

b)welsch plugs

c)big end bearings

d)piston rings

anything else anyone recommend to replace bar rods and pistons...

Cheers David

All the seals ie. sump, rear main, head gasket, oil pump etc...

Make sure u clear the oil feed gallery for the turbo in the block as every na Rb30 I've seen has been blocked with sludge.

Edited by Alf

does anyone know if a RB30DET with low compression RB30ET ACL pistons with a 3 layer cometic head gasket be a interference engine ? or non intererance ?

Would the valves smash the pistons if the timing belt let go?

anyone know?

dont mean to sound rube but what difference does it make? your going to all that effort just buy a decent timing belt and its not an issue

dont mean to sound rube but what difference does it make? your going to all that effort just buy a decent timing belt and its not an issue

I think the whole thing is, he might want to build a non-interference motor incase the timing belt lets go...

With all the engine failures recorded below I've only seen a couple when the belt let go. Just heard of one this morning but no detail yet. Of the others I know it was either a poor quality bolt in the idler/adjuster and a cam cap galled and the belt jumped a bit (GTR cams into RB20) so I've yet to actually see where the belt has failed instantly and catastrophically. There is usually noise and time to inspect the problem.