SAU Community

AND... If and when you crack test the rods if one is bung you can find another second hand for around $20-$30 AUD.

When I was in Nissan the other day picking up some parts I asked how much as new Nissan RB30E bare block is new.

$2500... I remember that new nissan block that was on sale here in SAU not that long ago for $500. That was a bargain.

Joel when are you updating your DIY RB30DET guide? I would like to know about using the original turbo off a RB25 (r33 / r34) and have about 5 to 10 psi. I would still want a compression ratio of about 9:1... or would it be better to use a different turbo and just sell the other? I dont mind spool up at 2500 - 3000 rpm, I just don't want spooling earlier or up at the 4000k mark... I'm not after high boost either. How about twin turbo, where one spools up and at a certain amount of rmp the other one kicks in...

I will update it when I get my hands on my parents digital camera next.

Using the std rb25/30 turbo apparently spools to full boost around 1800rpm. So basically you wont feel any lag.

If you were to have a turbo that spooled up to full boost at around 4000rpm then you would be making over 300rwkw.

A GCG stage 2 500hp turbo makes full boost around 3000rpm and makes around 250-260rwkw on 1bar with the RB30DET. On a RB25DET you can add another 500rpm approx until it is on full boost.

You don't want twin turbo where one spools then the other spools at a certian RPM it is to much trouble.

Well i'm going with a Garrett GT30 with a .82 exhaust size... Its rated to 600hp... ;)

Should be getting the ball rolling within the next week... Going to start building the head (its in millions of pieces atm)... Going to fit some big cams (270deg 10.8mm lift) into the 26 head...

Oh yeah just a question... Anyone know where i can get big sumps for RB engines??

I'm getting the RB20DET sump baffled.

Well i'm going with a Garrett GT30 with a .82 exhaust size... Its rated to 600hp...
I'll looking at spending as little as possible...  

If you do the above as you said you can easily kiss around 10k good by if you already have a full exhaust and suitable intercooler. If you havn't then its going to cost approx another 1.5k for a suitable intercooler and say 1.2k for a decent exhaust.

i.e

RB30 short motor with forged pistons & shotpeened rods - 3500

Injectors - 900

Aftermarket ECU & Tuning - 2000

Custom Exhaust Manifold - 1000

Wastegate - 800

Turbo - 2400

Total - 10,000

+ Fitting and other little bits

Joel, i thought we went through this already...

I've got a new block which will be bored out to 87mm with Arias forged pistons and Argo forged Con Rods and standard crank...

N1 Oil and Water pumps...

RB26 head with Tomei 270degree step 2 cams, springs and sprockets...

ATi fluid dampener...

Tomei fuel rail...

As well as a few other bits and pieces...

I already have Autronic Sm2 v1.93, intercooler, turbo, wastegate, manifold and all that stuff...

I'll looking at spending as little as possible...

Thats right I was refering to your comment on spending as little as possible.

Which really is not possible as you have basically selected everything for the motor that is going to make you spend as much as possible.

Hence the RB26 head, Tomi Cams, Tomi Fuel rail (that is not really needed) and especially the Autotronic ECU.

Personally speaking, when it comes to projects like this... unless you've got scads of cash and no full time job, you can't rush it.

I know I can't... money is tightish (trying to buy a house), and I don't want to cut a corner, just to find that I've wrecked what could have been a powerful, solid, reliable engine.

Slow and steady gets the smaller quartermile times. :P