SAU Community

How do you know it is an older engine when it has no numbers on it? When you buy a new block from Nissan it comes with no engine number, the assumption being that you bought a new block because your old one was broken. So they sell you a new block whihc you can put the numbers on it from the old block.

Hi riceline,

The oil feed diameter is indeed exactly the same as I have used. Although I didn't take the feed from where you have. Apologies for being vague, but I did this about three years ago so I'll have to check. I took the oil feed from the side of the block. I'll have a look and get back to you. Thats not to say what you have done isn't satisfactory however, I just chose a different supply path.

As Joel has also suggested, check the cam timing. The number of teeth are irrelevant. What's important is lining up the TDC crank mark with the cams. The backing plate on the cam cover has two marks which line up with corresponding marks on each of the cam gears. This is what you have to line up with the crank mark...don't worry about how many teeth this may take. This will vary depending on the tensioner bolt position.

The noise comming from the front of the head....the crank position sensor must be mounted with the original rubber gasket, WHICH INCLUDES THE ORIGINAL SPACERS, which fit into the three bolt positions, regardless of whether or not the outside cam cover is installed. Failing to include these or do something else equivalent will bring the sensor too close to the exhaust cam once mounted. The cam gear bolts will then hit the back of the sensor assembly, and create a noise. Also the backing plate can become warped and rub on the cam gears as well. I have experienced both these situations, which, after a mild heart palpatation proved to be easy to correct.

I would again stress that you solve this quickly without letting the engine idle for extended periods whilst still in its fresh state. I have ruined a few engines in the past trying to figure out running issues with a newly built engine. This is not the ideal time to have this happening, although I understand your dilemma. I would check all of this first. I can supply you with information on how to check your AFM with a digital multimeter if none of this helps.

RNZ11Z,

If we were using the SOHC RB30E head/ecu etc then it could be considered an older engine.

Compared to the origional motor released in the R32/R33 skylines, the only difference is the longer stroke.

Gotta Love the dremels.. :rofl:

Priced up oil pumps from Nissan to suit the RB30E short motor.

RB20t - $580

R32 GTR - $633

R32 GTR N1 - $632

Trade price the R32 GTR N1 pump is around $550.

Nissan (Unley) mentioned some thing about the RB20t & RB25t Pumps are the same. Can any one confirm this?

HKS 3037ProS. 10mm spacer plate so the comp cover clears the std exhaust manifold.

Should make 300rwkw if it doesn't I’ll run 20+psi if need be.

The engine is being setup to run 24+psi (piston/bore clearances etc).

I really don't know if I should go with the .69 or .81 a/r.

The bloke who's going to tune it said the .69 would be fine and make more overall power, the larger a/r wouldn't make enough top end to make up for the loss in the lower/mid rpms.

Sooo.. hopefully when I step out of the car I should look like those blokes from that old Nissan Patrol advert (Face sucked back). :cheers:

Hey Skyrine-Dave,

Sorry, I got caught in the HKS/Garrett nomenclature confusion I keep seeing, and didn't realise what you meant. What components go into a Garrett GT3540 i.e wheels/trims etc? Do you have an actual Garrett Australia part number or is it a hybrid? Or is it whats 'officially' known as a Garret GT35R, part # 714568-1, which has a GT40 type compressor, and is shown in the Garrett Performance Products Catalog, and which Garret Australia seems to know about? As far as I can tell from available documentation there is nothing officially known as a GT3540. If you mean the part number mentioned, then I was also considering using this on my next build, and was wondering the same thing as you....the 714568-1 with a 1.06 or the 714568-2 with a 0.82.

Reason is the HKS 3037ProS is internal gate. Can use the stock manifold etc. + from Greenline by the time I buy external gate custom manifold etc the price works out more than the ProS.. Guess I will find out if that is to be true when I drop the motor in the car. Always hidden costs that you forget about.

Ok this info is from GCG: note the 1.06 AR exh hsg

Garrett GT35R Ball Bearing Turbo:-

$2960.00

Aftermarket Applications

P/No #GSB8007

Rated 700hp

Spec's:-

1.06a/r Turbine Housing (4 bolt outlet)

0.70a/r Compressor Housing

Watercooler Centre

52 Trim Compressor Wheel (T04S)

50 lbs/min Comp Flow Max.

84 Trim Turbine Wheel

Now Ray Hall website:

Turbo|  Part#    |  CHRA #    |AR   |Trim |model  | wheel diam|lb flow|AR  |Trim |Wheel diam

GT35 |714568-0001| 706451-0005| 0.70| 56  |GT40   | 2.41/3.22  |60    |1.06| 84  | 2.45/2.68

Ray hall seems to use a "GT40" comp wheel with the 56 trim, where as the GCG one uses a T04s wheel with the 52 trim.

After looking at the Garrett catalogue the GCG specs are GT35, the Ray hall specs are GT35R

this is all i have found so far.. still researching suitable turbos

Yes, its confusing isn't it, with everyone putting on their own part numbers/components/ specs, and then you ring Garret Australia for something and they don't know what you're talking about! Why would you go with a T04s wheel when the more modern GT40 style is available? Some Garrett official part numbers start with SB, such as SB8007. You cant order a turbo from Garrett and only quote GTxx, they dont know what you mean! I bought an SB8005A I'm currently using, with a 1.06 A/R. As mentioned I have enquired about a GT35R from Garrett Australia, and the part number is as mentioned. One of the few recognised out of the catalog here in australia. Perhaps I need to find out exactly what compressor wheel this uses as far as Garrett is concerned, TO4s or GT40. I preffer going straight to the source to avoid confusion/marketing such as this.

Indeed the GCG call their product a GT35R, yet acording to the catalog it is a some sort of GT35R/GT35 hybrid collection of parts!

the phantom:

so this is what you would have:

Garrett GT3040 Ball Bearing Turbo:-

$2960.00

Aftermarket Applications

Part Number #GSB8005A for 500hp

#GSB8006 for 600hp

Rated 500-600hp

Spec's:-

0.63 0r 0.82 /r Turbine Housing (4 bolt outlet)

0.70a/r Compressor Housing

Watercooler Centre

56 Trim Compressor Wheel (T04S)

55 lbs/min Comp Flow Max.

84 Trim Turbine Wheel

again taken from GCG website.

here is a link to the Garrett Product catalogue: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...7%2017%2013.pdf (right click - save as) its 2.8mb

In there is clearly lists the different models, their model name (ie GT35R) and the specs available to the turbo. Might be worth looking at by someone with more knowledge than me :cheers:

Yeah that catalog is where I'm getting my info from. But if you ring Garrett here direct GT3040 doesn't mean a thing. You need a part number. And GCG have added a G in front of the SB8005A Garrett part number for what I have. Does this make it their own hybrid version or just an internal GCG part number...who knows...I remain confused!!! By the way the SB8005A with a 1.06 exhaust I have is OK with boost made from 3000 onwards, but peak boost of 1 bar doesn't happen until about 4300-4400 RPM. But get it into range and its pretty awsome, being able to light up the wheels at outrageous speeds....:cheers:

Hi Spoolup,

Congratulations...nice. What boost are you running and what are the response characteristics like?

I have a question regarding the turbo you mention. What exactly is it? A Garrett GT30 has a T04s compressor from what I can come up with. Only the GT35R's have the GT40 compressor. So is your turbo a hybrid, i.e a GT30 (SB8005A) with a gt40 series compressor fitted on it as non standard?? Can you please enlighten me as to where the GT30/40 designation comes from?

The cars not mine, I just built the engine.

Too answer your questions about the turbo , a Garret turbo is made up of 3 main components (compressor, core and turbine) and you can mix and match genuine Garrett components around.

So a GT30/40 is a hybrid, it has the standard GT30 ball bearing core and one of the GT30 compressors with one of the GT40 turbines.