SAU Community

,4 Jan 2006, 09:25 PM]Ok.. I have a serious question...

What kind of things should I be looking at if I want to get a motor built to cope with 25+ psi?

RB26 top end, RB30 bottom end...

If you keep the restrictions down it will make 800 'ish bhp at 25 psi. Is that your power target?

:P cheers :O

Edited by Sydneykid

Unfortunately you can't "get there slowly" for a large number of the items. Otherwise you will have the engine in and out countless times, which is expensive. These are the things that I would do the first time around;

1. Forged pistons, bore and hone

2. Forged rods with ARP rod bolts

3. O'ring the block to go with a double annealed copper head gasket

4. Balance ALL of the up & down and round & round parts carefully.

5. ARP head studs

6. ARP main bearing studs

7. Non genuine main bearings and big end bearings (I use ACL Race Series)

8. Port the cylinder head, match the manifolds, test on the flow bench

9. Polish and equalise the combustion chamber volumes

10. Determine the lift and timing of the camshafts so that you can do piston to valve clearances and any required cylinder head lobe relief at this time. For that sort of power your are looking at around 272 degree cams with at least 10.3 mm lift. This is also the time where you choose the valve springs and retainers if necessary.

11. Wide oil pump drive crank collar to go with an aftermarket high flow oil pump (Jun, HKS etc), preferably dry sump if you are doing any high G'force activities.

12. Oil flow control mods, limit what goes up and speed up the return to the sump. All RB's are crappy at this unless carefully modified, this is another advantage of dry sump.

13. Pick a clutch, at least twin plate for 2wd and triple plate for 4wd. Balance it along with #4 above

14. Sump mods, either for dry sump or wet sump with wings, one way doors and baffles.

15. All the bits necessary to turn a SOHC RB30 into a DOHC RB30, refer to the RB30DET thread for more details.

16. All of the myriad of little things that you normally do when building a high performance engine that would take me pages to list.

That's enough from me, I am sure the others will add to the list

:O cheers :)

Edited by Sydneykid

Thanks Sydneykid.

I am becoming a supplier for a lot of well known brand parts so that's going to help me a lot.

Getting there slowly meant that I am buying parts bit by bit than I will worry about getting it all together and into the car.

can i ask why you stated a certain PSI that you want to run rather than saying what turbo and engine parts are required to get XXX horse power?

why is the number you see on your boost gauge the important part?

because when telling mates thats the only number thats important is boost. nothing else matters. if its turbo, how much boost. its the land of fairies and boost basically.

most people dont understand pressure and volume are two different things when talking about turbochargers on cars, most just assume more boost is better and more boost is always more power. the higher the boost the faster and better it must be to drive. 19psi is like fully sick.

most assume 19psi is way fast cos its "lots of boost" but in reality its lots of heat and pressure, neither of which make power. a 3litre running 7psi boost could make more power and be better to drive than the car running 19psi but that doesn't mean anything to the average joe blow, the 19psi is better cos its more.

all my friends ask is how much boost does it run, i say 12 they go fark thats alright.

i could have said 5psi or 11psi and they still wouldnt know how much power it made or how it feels to drive. all they know is they always know SOMEONE who runs a vl or some other turbo car that runs at least 19psi and its super duper fast cos its runs stacks more boost.

sure i could battle them in a 15 minute argument over what makes power and pressure is not volume and volume of air makes power and the more boost is worse and so on but is it really worth it? let them think of the magical land where boost is super cool

because when telling mates thats the only number thats important is boost. nothing else matters. if its turbo, how much boost. its the land of fairies and boost basically.

Yep pretty much! I reckon everytime someone asks me a question about my car the first thing is 'how much boost is it running'... very stupid.

so if i said stock rb25 turbo with 10psi does that mean its slow? i forgot to metion it had the 3 litre bottom end with proper internals awesome cai setup, stripped interior and attessa so i can do 4000rpm launches. its pointless asking what turbo and boost

Just like your initial tune on 15psi.. 200.4rwkw, then 16psi it made 218rwkw. There's much more in the tune than many realise.

18rwkw from 1psi extra one would not think it was usual, goes to show its all in the tune.

I live in Sydney.

I drive around with the doors locked and windows up.

if someone asks me a question about my car, I take one of 2 options.

1.) 6000rpm, side step clutch, get the fcuk out of there.

2.) get out of car with clublock and beat them till they can't remember who or where they are. and therefore my car is safe as they will not remember the conversation.