SAU Community

got a few prices on some things, what do you guys think?

Rb30 water pump (silverline) - $80

timing belt (dayco) - $22.95

Rb20 thermostat and housing - $28.95

Rb30 sump gasket $12.50

Just wondering is the brand 'silverline' a good brand of water pump or should i try and source a genuine nissan water pump?

my car ran considerably hotter with an aftermarket than with a genuine nissan. The aftermarket also got stuck open after a while, i changed it back to genuine nissan and havent had a problem with overheating since. I also use the standard clutch fan although people are starting to change to the twin AU thermo's which work well.

Edited by Miz_VL_Turbo

well i just rang another nissan dealership here in adelaide and they only want $260 for the vrs kit so search me? I also asked them about the thermostat and housing and they've said about $110 for both compared to the $30 i got quoted for the non genuine nissan items, do u guys/gals really think its worth spending the extra $80?

I like the genuine thermostats. $~50.

They get the car up to operating temp real quick, which equals better fuel economy and less engine wear.

From my observations the aftermarket thermostats react very quickly, in other words it flings right open, and very wide, and shuts really quick.

The genuine tends open not as wide and it does so a little slower, it also closes slowly. If that makes sense.

My sister had overheating issues in her VL Commodore when cruising up Willunga Hill (big arsed many km hill), drop the genuine thermostat in it and its fine.

I suspect the aftermarkets open too much that causes issues with either water flowing too quick or some some how reducing the pumps ability to flow?!?! No idea.. ;)

Grab a decent quality RB30E waterpump that come with a gasket, no need for rb26 n1 items unless it will see lots of the track.

As far as I'm aware there is only a genuine thermostat housing available. Obviously, they are a little pricey. :)

Use the one of your rb20, it should be fine.

Don't forget to change the block heater hose attachments on the rb30 to suit the rb20 setup.

One off the thermostat housing and another at the rear of the block on the drivers side.

Edited by Cubes

ok, i found an rb30e waterpump, Brand name 'silverline' sounded pretty good for $80 and came with a warranty. I'll keep my thermostat housing from the rb20 as it looks in pretty good nick and i'll just grab a genuine nissan thermostat, better to be safe than sorry!

What turbo are you bolting on the 3ltr rbman?

Stocker for a while or..?

With these petrol prices i'm starting to want some lag back.. :P

The 3ltr drops out of closed loop mode so easily, its actually quite hard to accelerate up to speed and keep it in closed loop.

The old rb20 would stay in closed loop until it was making a psi or two.

RB30 being the rb30 spools 1psi as you let the clutch out at idle. :)

Bolting a XR6turbo is looking attractive. Even if it doesn't get going until 3800rpm or so who cares. ;)

I find I don't really use the power under ~3500rpm.

Edited by Cubes

What turbo are you bolting on the 3ltr rbman?

Stocker for a while or..?

With these petrol prices i'm starting to want some lag back.. :)

The 3ltr drops out of closed loop mode so easily, its actually quite hard to accelerate up to speed and keep it in closed loop.

The old rb20 would stay in closed loop until it was making a psi or two.

RB30 being the rb30 spools 1psi as you let the clutch out at idle. :D

Bolting a XR6turbo is looking attractive. Even if it doesn't get going until 3800rpm or so who cares. :O

I find I don't really use the power under ~3500rpm.

I'm able to get the bb VG30 pretty cheap so thats what i'm looking at pretty much before it gets bolted into the car. I remember you saying with your pissy little turbo that u were getting crappy mileage so i figure if i spend a little on a bigger turbo i'll save while running the car in and waiting for my 35/40 :D

Another noob question, Do you use the rb20/rb25 runners and plenum? I just can't remember what you said a while back!

Fuel economy isn't too bad, roughly 430kays to 50litres or so.

I am finding it annoying how she snaps on so hard with such little acceleration, you constantly have to be on the ball when trying to accelerate just that little bit harder than limping pace.

The VG30 with its larger turbine housing will be better suited and smoother to drive.

------

Use the R32 RB25DE inlet manifold and RB20DET plenum.

You can use the R32 RB25DE plenum, it lacks the BOV's boost feed, T into the carbon canistors feed.

You will also notice the turbo inlet manifold has a water galley run around the injectors that then feeds in to the turbo water lines around the back of the head. On the n/a inlet manifold this is blocked off. Not too much of a drama, I left mine blocked off. :)

I drove my oldies 100series v8 landcruiser around for a few days this week.

Jumping back in to my car I realised i have a big diff whine. :D

What clutch are you settling on?

Edited by Cubes