SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

not sure if this will q be beating a dead horse or not but here goes:

any of you experts consider using the 300zx (z32) rods ? please share your thoughts on this.

If my memory serves me correctly, they are way too long, and with the price and availability of the rb30 stuff, there would really be no need

gotcha!

i should do the math first. the 300zx rods is 1.8mm longer than the rb30 (6") rod.

even with the combination of the 300zx rods w/ the rb25det pistons it still protrude above the deck.

hmm...a thick headgasket may solve it. the availability of the 300zx here in he States are abundant and so cheap.

the GM SBC rods option is also dirt cheap: 250.00USD (266.010 AUD); make this also a nice option i'm itching to dive into.

Edited by @irborne

My engine has teh modified SBC conrod option. If i built it now, i wouldnt have gone that way, especially with the price of rb30 specific rods available. To modify the SBC rod/bearing/crank costs far more than the purchase price of the rod.

hey im buildin my rb30det atm and im tryin to sort an intake setup 4 it. Using a rb25de head i was considering using a factory intake but have the plenum modified to front facing. But recently i heard that this mod can lean out the 6th piston or something. Any opinions or advice would be great.

I can't fit the 120deg intake pipe like that due to bonnet clearance so I'm going with a GTR plenum chamber welded to stock runners with a single throttle body.

cheapest way is to run the piping like this. excuse the tape and excessive joiners (hasnt been welded yet)

This is how i did mine, Is there any reason for doing it the way you have?

16cc5957c4.jpg

Thanks for those pics fellas, ive been tossin up which way my piping will go.

Either way looks good with dan's having slightly more bends?

also what ex manifolds are you guys using (dan and sir racer)

cheers

Im using a stainless one from Boostworx AFAIK it was made by them for a VL and to be honest sits a little too high, that as much info that I have on it,

Thanks for those pics fellas, ive been tossin up which way my piping will go.

Either way looks good with dan's having slightly more bends?

also what ex manifolds are you guys using (dan and sir racer)

cheers

If you are after a quality exhaust manifold i highly recommend 6boost or Extreme Turbo Manifolds (ETM). I am using an ETM item and my mate is using 6boost; both work of arts :teehee:

post-1811-1211267916_thumb.jpg

16cc5957c4.jpg

Did you cut a hole where the battery used to sit?

My previous skylines have been defected for cutting holes, DOT inspectors said it weakens the crush zone of the body and all piping should go through factory holes or be plumbed around the body.

My current rb20 piping is done this way.

If you are after a quality exhaust manifold i highly recommend 6boost or Extreme Turbo Manifolds (ETM). I am using an ETM item and my mate is using 6boost; both work of arts

I wish the service was the same quality. ;)

For some reason Leigh (ETM) quoted me higher through these forums, and $150 lower (same car, same manifold) on CLT forums under a VLT orientated username.

They both take months to reply to pm's and email, thats if they do...

The prices these days are a bit steep for a street car.... I'll be making my own. :bunny:

hi guys, not posted for a while.. right section now, :D after some advice as usual.. my rb26/30 has now done 2500 miles no problem whatsoever, but is under turbo,ed.

specs is as follow,

rb30 block decked bored to 86.5mm

spool rods, cp forged slugs.

acl bearings,arp bolts everywhere.

trust sump

1000cc injectors, twin in tank tomei fuel pumps.

hks drag 4" intercooler..

1.0 tomei headgasket.

jun stage one cams 264/272 9.7mm lift.

full extreme turbomanfolds kit using a gt35r 1.06 rear 4" dump

car made 680bhp 645lbs @ 5500rpm but drops off after 6500rpm,s

pm,ed leigh ref replacement kit as i have a buyer for mine.

thinking of going t4 flange and twin scroll.

leigh suggested gt4088r or 4294r

not sure what rears to use on either, or spooling times on either too?.

looking for 750-850 bhp @ the fly..with a good spool.

cheers bernie.uk

Did you cut a hole where the battery used to sit?

My previous skylines have been defected for cutting holes, DOT inspectors said it weakens the crush zone of the body and all piping should go through factory holes or be plumbed around the body.

My current rb20 piping is done this way.

Nah R33 has battery in the boot from standard, But I had to remove the windscreen washer bottle that I will replace with a alloy surge/washer bottle when the wallet permits

There is a region below the washer bottle where the GTR piping is run through as standard and the rail is exactly the same in a 33 GTSt. It even has the shape stamped. Cutting the hole and finishing with a little reinforcing is generally fine. Do a good job, tell them it is factory and if they want proof get a mate with a GTR and show them or take photos.

Was wondering if many have used the rb30 gearboxes? I bought mine with the block im using for my 30 build and iv heard heaps about the gtr and 25t g/boxes bein really strong but not so much is said about the rb30 boxes. So any advice or opinions on their strength? also what are the ratios like? Cheers.