SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

Hey Shane, its not as easy as that. The rb30 is older (finished production late 80s from memory) than the car (1996) its in so therefore the conversion is illegal in WA (dunno about other states though)

the only way of stating its an rb30 is possibly doing an emmision test which is something not even available to the general public in WA.

Thats correct if you use the rb30 SOHC head but when you run the DOHC head they consider it the same as a stroker; of which requires an emissions test.

this issue is the single biggest turn off of doing the conversion. Also the fact if i want over 400hp i really need rods and pistons, were as a rb26 only need a set of forgies and stock rods are good to go to 500hp.

Where did you get the 400hp limit from?

The rods are quite strong; the only thing they don't like is rev's. I've seen up to 630rwhp (470rwkw) pushed through a set of stock rods without issues. 7000rpm rev limit and they are good for pretty much what ever your throw at them.

i was gonna start another topic but i've started too many already so ill just add a post in here...

have any of you guys had the chance to go through a vehicle inspection with the rb30 bottom ends and what did they say about it being legal or not? do u think i should just grind the 30 number off the motor and restamp rb26 to keep it "legal"?

this issue is the single biggest turn off of doing the conversion. Also the fact if i want over 400hp i really need rods and pistons, were as a rb26 only need a set of forgies and stock rods are good to go to 500hp.

Hey Shane, its not as easy as that. The rb30 is older (finished production late 80s from memory) than the car (1996) its in so therefore the conversion is illegal in WA (dunno about other states though)

the only way of stating its an rb30 is possibly doing an emmision test which is something not even available to the general public in WA.

No, the conversion is legal as you are retaining all the 1996 emissions regulation gear as that is all in the head and has nothing to do with the bottom end.

Brad, my RB30 is legal and licensed.

As stated, emissions are all in the head etc.

26 to 30 doesn't even come close to the 50% capacity increase* limit that you are allowed to do without engineering/emissions testing.

Mine was worst case scenario going from 2L to 3L but it passed the pits with flying colours without needing to be engineered or tested.

*Actually I don't think the increase limit is that high, I'll see if I can dig it up but it might be something like 25%, enough to account for oversize bores from rebuilds etc

Edited by bubba

I am getting sick of hearing stock stuff "can not" "will not" Handle more than ~400hp

I mean how do places like RIPS Push 750hp out of a stock bottom end?

RB30 Stock internal long engines with RB25 head. (suit up to 600hp and 7200 rpm)

this is a another quote off there website...

The first skyline we took to the drags for fun (R32 GTS4) was a very basic complete street car with a stock internal motor and it ran mid 12's.

Within 6 months we were down to 10.2 and had won 14 meetings in a row, both the Idrag and Nightwars Pro street championship titles and the 4 and rotary Nationals.

The engine in this car had 100% stock internals and made 750hp, it is still in a road car today and has been untouched since it was first built nearly 4 years ago.

Edited by dano4127

interesting info, so Bubba how come i have to get mod approval for a rb26 in a stagea (usually rb25) and you can get away with a hybrid 25/30 in a car thats supposed to have a rb20. Are u saying u didnt need to send in a mod approval application at all?

I hate the WA inspection centres, they are sooo varied on rules depending who inspects it, surely an increase to 3L is gonna class it as modified like Cubes mentions. What car do u list the engine is out of then? a vl or a skyline gtr if it was a rb26/30?

Dano4127, sorry mate im just stating whats been said on these forums in general on stock internals, i know very well RIPS can do it but i dont see many others with the same power on stock bits? Im talking reliable and gonna last as well, this is going to be my daily driver so i dont want to be replacing bottom ends every month because they let go. I tell u what, if i could run 450rwhp all day everyday on stock internals ill happily do it as long as its all legal to do the 26/30 conversion obviously :laugh: The best results in Oz i've seen are from sky30 making 400kw at wheels on stock internals, i dont know if its still going but thats a huge effort if it is.

i love the rb30 idea im keen as to do it, just a few hurdles in the meantime unfortunately i have to get over

I didn't even attempt to get mod approval as about 3 days after the 30 went in I got a yellow sticker because my bonnet didn't close.

Took it over the pits and they notarised the engine number and that was it, done and dusted. The fact that it looks pretty damn stock under the bonnet (low mount 25 turbo etc) probably helped my cause somewhat.

The justification I would have used though is that I broke something in the bottom end and it was cheapest to use an RB30 bottom end.

I am also a firm believer in taking it in steps. For instance, you're more likely to get it over the pits if it's JUST a 30 bottom end upgrade, everything else is stock, than if you tried to get it over as an RB30 with say a GT35R hanging off the side. I'll cross the high mount turbo bridge when I get to it :laugh:

It's also easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission :D

Edited by bubba

I didn't even attempt to get mod approval as about 3 days after the 30 went in I got a yellow sticker because my bonnet didn't close.

Took it over the pits and they notarised the engine number and that was it, done and dusted. The fact that it looks pretty damn stock under the bonnet (low mount 25 turbo etc) probably helped my cause somewhat.

The justification I would have used though is that I broke something in the bottom end and it was cheapest to use an RB30 bottom end.

I am also a firm believer in taking it in steps. For instance, you're more likely to get it over the pits if it's JUST a 30 bottom end upgrade, everything else is stock, than if you tried to get it over as an RB30 with say a GT35R hanging off the side. I'll cross the high mount turbo bridge when I get to it :laugh:

It's also easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission :D

its also more expensive if you do it and its not legal haha, then its a nightmare as im finding out with this current setup :P

Yeah very true!

BUT, my motor came out of a VC commodore sporting a pair of 2540's and was making 365rwkw.. completely street legal and driven.

How that sort of sh!t passes the pits is beyond me but it's definately possible!

So what if you change the head AND the bottom end. How does that work in qld?

According to the EPA you cant run an older motor in a newer model car, unless you want to pay $ to get it pass EPA regs. (NSW & QLD)

If the engine number is an Rb30 one it will be rego'd as an RB30, regardless if its twin cam or not.

How does it work in QLD? You stamp your engine number on the RB30 and keep it looking stock, thats the easiest way. :D

Edited by Alf

Mine is reg'd in Qld - I had it blue plated ( approved modification ) and new engine number tranferred to registration papers.

Like its already been mentioned - changing the bottom end shouldnt be a problem as its basically just a stroker crank ( well In Qld anyway ).

Edited by Spoolup

Mine is reg'd in Qld - I had it blue plated ( approved modification ) and new engine number tranferred to registration papers.

Like its already been mentioned - changing the bottom end shouldnt be a problem as its basically just a stroker crank ( well In Qld anyway ).

Do you drive it to many events?

A mate got done for having a Rb30DET in a 33(QLD rego) 8 months ago outside QR. DOT inspectors pinged him hard for 17 defects including using an older motor in a new car which he had to go over the pits to get cleared (used a 25det, once cleared in went the 30det)

Also seen people get done outside EC and EPIC for the same thing.

You can get away with anything with Queensland transport, they couldn't even get my Rb20 engine numbers right. "Where else but Queensland" :laugh:

Edited by Alf

Did he have it blue plated and the engine numbers swapped to his rego papers. They can defect you for a RB25 in a R33 if the engine numbers do not match - its just revenue raising and bureaucracy bull shit, but you got to live with it.

Did he have it blue plated and the engine numbers swapped to his rego papers. They can defect you for a RB25 in a R33 if the engine numbers do not match - its just revenue raising and bureaucracy bull shit, but you got to live with it.

No it wasnt. :P

When going over the pits he was told you can increase the capacity to a certain % but you cant stick a RB30 from a 86 VL como in a 95 R33, some EPA regulation bullshit. It's not hard to get it blue plated theres plenty of dodgy guys who can give you one. :laugh:

Ended up getting it blue plated for other mods and changing the "30" In the engine number to "25" and have that number put on the rego paper, grounded down the RB30 on the side of the block and since then haven't had a prob.

Edited by Alf