SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

I'm using the 25de cams, fine for now and they do something at about 4500rpm.. even though I'm making full boost by 2200rpm it pulls harder again over 4500rpm... will be interesting with the bigger turbo.

RB20DET specs are: in: 240deg, 7.8mm ex: 240deg 7.8mm

RB25DE (R32): in: 240deg 7.8mm ex: 232deg 7.3mm

RB25DE (R33): in: 240deg 7.8mm ex: 240deg 7.8mm

RB25DE (neo): in: 236deg 8.4mm ex: 232deg 6.9mm

wasnt sure which RB25 you meant so i thought id post up all 3, got the specs from the RB30 guide on the forum

So going by this RB20DET's are prob the way to go

The RB20DET cams require a little fiddling with adj cam gears to make the most of them.

When I ran the RB25DE cams they made good power once a larger turbo was dropped on. The RB25de centerlines do suit the rb30 with a larger turbo better than what untouched rb20det cams do.

Std cams mine made peak power at 6000rpm and torque peaked at around 3500rpm. STD and VG30 turbo peak power was at 4400rpm that held on flat until 4800rpm for the std turbo. The VG30 turbo was pretty much the same but held on to peak until ~5500rpm where it would nose over hard. I suspect valve springs were playing an issue with high back pressure on the exhaust side.

In comparison to RB25DET's with their VCT and the same turbo same boost etc on the same dyno mine was making ever so slightly better power. Which is most likely as a result of the head that had been ported polished.

A set of cams saw mine pick up close to 25rwkw on the same boost. It now allows a heap more ignition timing and is no where near det as it was when running the std cams. It makes the power easier and is not as highly strung as it was with stock cams.

^^ +1

Should be interesting to see how my custom plenum goes.. if that guy can make 370rwkw on an RB20 with the same plenum setup I think it should do fine! also cost half what an off the shelf item does :(

hey im in new zealand and im just wondering where i could get some tomei oil restrictors from? I'm thinking about putting 1.5mm oil restrictors in both the valleys which leads me to my second enquiry, im just wondering if there is anywhere in new zealand where i can get a n1 oil pump as im in Hamilton and have even tried Auckland without any luck. If anyone could help me with either of the issues it would be much appreciated cheers.

hey im in new zealand and im just wondering where i could get some tomei oil restrictors from? I'm thinking about putting 1.5mm oil restrictors in both the valleys which leads me to my second enquiry, im just wondering if there is anywhere in new zealand where i can get a n1 oil pump as im in Hamilton and have even tried Auckland without any luck. If anyone could help me with either of the issues it would be much appreciated cheers.

Hi mate, im in Hamilton NZ as well and have just about finished my 30.

Ring Rob at RIPS and get a 33 or 34 stock GTR oil pump. He will have plenty of those lying around at a pretty good price. He should also have some oil restrictors that you can buy, or otherwise just one made up by an engineering shop. Should be pretty easy.

I got mine (before i knew how simple they were) from nengun.com.

There is a guy pure_methamphetamachine on the NZPC forums who might have a brand new N1 one sitting at his place as well. Simons his name and hes a good sort.

Edited by SirRacer

Nope, I feared they would want me to get it engineered (as it's a 50% capacity increase) but they didn't. I don't have a big highmount turbo hanging off the side so that probably helped but I do have bigger everything (brakes, clutch, gearbox, tailshaft, diff) so it wouldn't have been much of a drama if they did want it engineered, only $$. They did take it for a drive though and must have felt everything was acceptable *shrug*

I think ADR's limit an unengineered swap up to 25% or something silly like that so if there were legal problems, it would be more legal to drop a 30 into an R33..

Edit: oh I did get a REALLY nice inspector at the pits tho, he really liked skylines and thanked me afterwards for having a drive of my car :(

Edited by bubba

I'm using a large body 3" Hi-Flow Metal Cat...

Main reasons for using one:

* a bid to muffle the sound a bit as the 3" straight through pipe was a tad bit loud (understatement)

* to stop myself and other occupants from getting high every time we go for a drive, massive amounts fuel fumes before cat (parched throat, stinging eyes etc), none after

Cost of the cat was quite reasonable too although I got other things done at the same time.