SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

The bigger the turbo the less it muffles the exhaust, that's why you can get away with a straight through setup on a stock rb20 and still have it bearably loud. With a GT30 the exhaust wheel is that much bigger and doesn't do a good job at muffling so you need a better exhaust setup. Keep this is mind when choosing exhausts people, turbo size influences the noise level drastically.

hey just a quick question,

i have just recently bought a brand new n1 oil pump will i also need to buy the jun crank collar too? and second thing i bought my oil pump from a Japanese tuner shop (st hi tec) and also bought 1 tomie oil restrictor but when buying this soichi cautioned several times not to use the oil restrictor as it is made for a rb26 and most likely to run the head dry and i have been told this by a couple of other guys too but some say to use it. Can anyone help?

my combo is

rb30 block with r32 NON vct head

wiseco forged pistons

shot peined rods

and just a standard recond rb25 head.

Quick question - how long does it take your cars to reach operating temp (we'll go by water temp)

From dead-cold to 80 degrees, it takes my donk about 5-6minutes... is this on par with other RB30s? Overall the engine does run quite hot, especially on the turbo side :P

Sounds about right. I've only recently whacked a new thermostat and water pump in there, before then I'm pretty sure the thermostat was getting stuck open as it would take AGES (read: 15-20mins) to get up to 80deg and would rise past there easily as if the thermostat wasn't opening fully.

Edited by bubba

Yeah the only thing is i only just need to get it rebuilt so it would be cheap, i would add cams but i dont have that much money to spend so thats about it.

I saw it made 344kw on a RB25 not much done to it at 7500 RPM but didnt boost till about 4.5.

Yeah I'm using one... 3" Hi-Flow Metalcat; I wasn't really using it for any performance reasons... more for legality, and also to get rid of the repulsive fuel smells coming from my exhaust which was also coating my rear bumper yellow. Great success in achieving these two goals.

Hey guys quick question..

Haven't got a block yet, but first thing I do will be to strip it down and go get it checked over before I rebuild the thing myself

I'm gonna get some pricing from some engine rebuilders around me, to help with the planning

What are the things do you guys think I should be asking for?

I hear you don't really need to rebore the cylinders

So just get pricing on machining the deck, acid dipping, repositioning of the tensioner, crack testing? Anything else I should get pricing on?

Plan for worst, hope for the best really.

Can someone confirm for me if its ok to use the RB25DET idler pully and tensioner with an RB26 head? Apparently there are two different tensioners, one for the RB20/25 and another for the 26...

Can't say I've seen any difference. Just use 2 x 25 tensioners as you can have too little slack with the high tensioner/low idler location.

There is no need for a difference as they do exactly the same job. Don't buy from Nissan but go to rolling bearings or somesuch. Should be about $120 for the pair.