SAU Community

Gts4 V Evo

Hey guys i'm buying a GTS4 hopefulyl in about 3-4 days (depending on the NRMA check) and was just wondering in comparrison with the EVO 6 or later how does the GTS4 hold up..They are both 2L both AWD but obviously the skyline is 6cyl and mitsu is a 4. In terms of power and handling which is better. Is there a magazine review or an online article that weighs out the two head to head..or does anyone own one or driven both and compared each?

Cheers for any details!!! Matt.

evo will eat the GTS4 unless the evo is stock and the GTS4 has some serious work done.

the earlier evo's had about the same amount of power but were about 200kg's lighter than a GTS4. the rb20 only has 7kw more than an sr20 and the early GSR motor, but has less torque than them.

a more even match would be a GTiR pulsar and an evo. a GTS4 is more comparable to a GTS-t r32 since they have the same power. the GTS4 will get off the line quicker, but the GTS-t is lighter so once it gets going it will be faster.

The Evo will absolutely murder the GTS4.

Both maybe 2L engines but the Evo's 4G63 2L produces a lot more power than the RB20DET in the GTS4.

Not to mention the Evo has a better suspension setup.

No-one bothers matching them head to head as everyone knows the Evo will kill the GTS4.

Evo vs GTR - that's the real comparison.

Oh and I hope you didn't buy a GTS-4 thinking it could beat an Evo...

Yea i just wasn't 100% sure. So i've gathered that the Evo will destroy power wise but is it really THAT much better in the bends. I bought a GTS4 because of the simple fact stated earlier that its nearly 30k cheaper. Do you guys think that your really gettin 30K more with the evo then the GTS4? Oh and the one i'm hopefully buying has a RB25 in it.

even with the RB25 the evo will munch u unless u have made a fair few mods and the evo is stock.. and as for cornering if u spend about $10k on suspension work u might mach a STOCK evo... its on of the best handeling produstion cars in the world... (and remember i love skylines and am always bias towards them :laugh: )

is it a turbo rb25? cause the r33/r34 ones had a natro rb25 in it.

what you have to remember is that sure there is a 20k difference, but they are also a much newer car. so the suspension technology is much better. and they evo is a road/rally car. it is designed to be quick through the bends.

Do you guys think that your really gettin 30K more with the evo then the GTS4?

As with all cars, you are facing the law of diminishing returns

Is the Evo $30k better than a GTS4?

Is a BMW M3 $70k better than a Evo?

Is a Porsche 911 $60k better than a M3?

Is a Ferrari F430 $200k better than a Porsche 911?

Is a Lamborghini Murcielago $200k better than a F430?

So really you cannot answer the question on face value - you have to know background factors such as the buyers tastes, needs and budget.

Sure you could put $30k in a GTS4 and get a much better performer than a Evo but in the end the car you have is still older, not worth as much as you put in and possibly more unreliable.

Yea its a turbo and its upgraded to a T3 with bigger intercooler and ecu and exhaust coilovers, strut brace. Thanks for the input guys and if theres one thing the GTS4's have in advantage is the capability of RWD as well. I think i'm going to get some REAL FAT tyres and that with the coilovers and strut brace should give me plenty of grip through the bends!!

One Q. If for some reason i am unable to get to an AWD dyno, if I put it in RWD and dyno it will the settings stay when its converted back to AWD?

Is it more expensive for an AWD dyno test and run?

Yea its a turbo and its upgraded to a T3 with bigger intercooler and ecu and exhaust coilovers, strut brace. Thanks for the input guys and if theres one thing the GTS4's have in advantage is the capability of RWD as well. I think i'm going to get some REAL FAT tyres and that with the coilovers and strut brace should give me plenty of grip through the bends!!

One Q. If for some reason i am unable to get to an AWD dyno, if I put it in RWD and dyno it will the settings stay when its converted back to AWD?

Is it more expensive for an AWD dyno test and run?

What settings? A dyno run doesn't change anything, just gets a power measurement. If you are talking about getting a remap or aftermarket ecu, then no difference if done in awd or rwd other than a slight change in the number.

With r32's putting it in rwd is as easy as pullin one of 2 fuses, with an 33 or 34 its a bit harder with dropping the prop shaft.

Edited by heller44

power aside the two cars are completely different

you are comparing a 1990 32 vs a 1997+ evo

the evo would have better average power

better traction

better handling

better seats

better interior

better brakes

better gearbox

and so on...

ban?

ban who the topic starter.? for what having a genuine question. i bet uve made stupid questions too. give him a break he only wants to learn and esnt need people saying ban ban.. post whoring..

F430 better than a 911TT.. yeah kinda. :sleep:

Yea i just wasn't 100% sure. So i've gathered that the Evo will destroy power wise but is it really THAT much better in the bends.

All the Evo's past the VI run AYC. They'll smash a GTS4, which doesn't even have proper ATTESSA, around the bends. The Evo VIII and IX run ACD as well (can't remember if the VII does or not), which will see them even further in the distance.

Technically speaking, the AYD / ACD combo in the modern Evos are the most advanced AWD drivetrains in the world. Far superior, from a technical standpoint, to ATTESSA.

Stock for stock, an Evo is at least as quick as a GT-R of the same age. On the right road, its quicker. Ultimate power wise on an open road that will let you exploit that power the GT-R can nevar lose, but bang for buck on the road or the smaller Australian racetracks its hard to find any car that'll outrun an Evo.

As for value, if you can afford to do light tune mods to an Evo VI or a significantly modified GTS4 I'd take the Evo. If you can barely afford an Evo but you can comfortably afford to mod a GTS4, buy the GTS4. The latter might only be as quick as the stock Evo you're scraping to afford, but it'll probably be more fun for the speed. And you'll have cash in pocket in case you break something.