SAU Community

Rough Running R3434

plaetime

Hey peps, i am new to the forum cause i am having a b*tch of a time getting some straight answers from workshops. Story goes i have an 4 door r34 skyline with the usual mods (boost controller, bov, fmic, 3" turbo back exhaust, aapexi safc2) running 8 psi of standard turbo (175rwkw before fmic and afc2). The problem i am having is that since i had my 100000 service the car runs rough like it has dropped a cylinder, engine light comes on the dash and so does the tcs & slip lights. Almost sounds like a wrx is the best way to describe the sound. the service included timing belt and new plugs (iridiums). i have had the afm, cas, checked out and they are spot on. can anyone help?????? this has been going on for three months, it only does it when it's hot outside and i start the car...doesn't happen under load. :(

actually on occasion my R34 engine does this too (in my R33) has done it twice when it has been over about 40 degree days and parked at work when i have gone to lunch. i thought it was something to do with the heat & my Power FC, a little rev for a min and it clears up fine, but yes also very unbalanced cylinder down sounding.

My engine has around 15,000 km's on it and when i brought it (from a 7000km wreck in japan 2001mdl) i replaced timing belt and everything (as i had it had been sitting since 2002).

Edited by webber

thanks dude was there anything you had done to fix it or did it just go away??? it's kinda starting to piss me off a bit. especially if you are trying to impress the cute office girl looking at you when you start it.

is it running rich? did it happen straight after the 100,000km service? if so is it possible that base timing might be a tad out? sounds much like coils to me, so perhaps if the base timing was a tad out this could have been the straw that broke the camels back so to speak

hey mate,

i had the same problem on my r34 and it was the coil packs. i had heaps of trouble to but until i found the mechanic that i trusted everyone stuffed me around. by speaking to heaps of mechanics i found out that the coil packs on r34s are smaller than r33s that is why this problem happens. many r34s get this problem. Your best bet is to get bigger coils and not the same ones because the problem can occur again.