SAU Community

Hi All! New Car Few Quick Qs

jake33

hey all, after several attempts and security verifications..ect, i finally figured out how to become a member and post! just brought a 95 R33 GTS-T and still cant get the smile off my face :) (that was last thursday). anyhoo, spec are front dump pipe with full 3inch hks exhaust (ithink), bleed valve set to 10 psi,exceedy H/D clutch, KnN panel filter.. just wondering if its safe to up the boost (a little.. maybe 12?) or being summer (hot) should i look at getting a FMIC first to help with the airflow. sorry bit of a noob question as i only know the basics about this wonderful world of forced induction..(previously had a v6 commo) >_<

thanks

jake

thought id throw up a few pics of the new car. taken at a palce in bundoora (VIC) supose to be the highest peak in the metro area. aslo shown mates 32.

post-35246-1170852781.jpg

post-35246-1170852812.jpg

Edited by jake33

Hey Jake. Welcome to the wonderful world of skylines! I had a VN v6 before I bought my 32. Big step up I thought!

Definately FMIC and 12 psi should be good to start off with.

Guys in the know will tell you all about it, or you can do a search on the forums of different setups.

yeah definetly a big step up for me. someone should have slapped me across the face years ago. As far as i know the cars got around 168rwkw according to previous owner (protek dyno), yeah as far as the next mod the fmic would def be the next step. also some 18s, theres sooo much room in those guards!! >_<

i wouldnt be adding any more boost till you get the front mount. You really dont want to be pushing hot air around.

once you have a front mount, and you said you already have full exhaus + air filter, 12psi is reasonably safe as long as you arent thrashing it constantly.

Do you plan on changing turbos etc?

Whats the end target, and at what time? (6-12-18-24months?)

If not, then an R34 SMIC is what you want >_<

Especially living in Vic, a FMIC attacts attention, and might not be exactly what you need.

Or even if you dont plan on doing a turbo for 18months or something, the SMIC would be the way to go :)

i thought you cant have a pod and fmic in victoria? im definetly sticking with the standard box KnN filter.

R31Nismoid - not going to change turbos for now just want around a healthy 180rwkw approx, thinking an aftermarket intercooler would achieve this with the modifications i allready have.

with the r34 smic(side mount intercooler?? standard mount intercooler??) is it just bigger than the 33s? cheaper than a fmic? easier to install? price?

thanks

jake

Edited by jake33

i thought you cant have a pod and fmic in victoria? im definetly sticking with the standard box KnN filter.

R31Nismoid - not going to change turbos for now just want around a healthy 180rwkw approx, thinking an aftermarket intercooler would achieve this with the modifications i allready have.

with the r34 smic(side mount intercooler?? standard mount intercooler??) is it just bigger than the 33s? cheaper than a fmic? easier to install? price?

thanks

jake

You can have either pod or smic but not both in vic...sounds strange I know, as suggested the r34 smic would be best for your goal of 180kw and should be good to take the car up to 200kw anything over you'll need to go front mount.

Price- $200 app and it bolts straight up to the factory piping ect so no cutting ect required...yeah it's just a bigger brother to the r33 smic but as said all the brackets and pipes fit so it's a very easy job to do and gives you some stealthy power gains without all the attention that a front mount attracts.

goodluck and have fun :)

hmm.. any thought or recommendations of the 34 smic??

Congratulations on the r33 buy, you must be cheering!

the r34 smic (side mount intercooler) is different to the r33 smic, its a bit bigger, thicker in diameter. hence i figure is better for cooling and flow as compared to the r33 smic.

r34smic you could prolly get for about $200 bucks and whereas fmic + piping ($345+ delivery...those justjap coolers).

i could be wrong but ive heard the r34smic are good upto 200rwkw....anyone wanna shed some light on this?

IMO if you have the money, go for the fmic because sooner or later you will be hit by the "power bug" and will want more and more power.

...just my 2cents

cheers!

Edited by R33LIN

You can have either pod or smic but not both in vic...sounds strange I know, as suggested the r34 smic would be best for your goal of 180kw and should be good to take the car up to 200kw anything over you'll need to go front mount.

Price- $200 app and it bolts straight up to the factory piping ect so no cutting ect required...yeah it's just a bigger brother to the r33 smic but as said all the brackets and pipes fit so it's a very easy job to do and gives you some stealthy power gains without all the attention that a front mount attracts.

goodluck and have fun :)

:):)

damn! your post just beat my post by two minutes!

but yeah i agreee with ya mate

:)

i know a lot of peeps like the r34 intercooler option

i went the other way and got a r32 gtr cooler and fixed all the piping under the hoodee

i like the gtr cooler, coz its balck and pretty much invisible unless you go looking for it

plus i prefer the piping nice and straight and to the point

sweet. cheers for the feedback guys. where abouts do i find these 34 coolers in melb?? i live in the eastern subs but dont mind driving (thats why i brought the car) around.? also how much of a power gain would i expect to get over the stock 33 cooler i got now? (with the mods ive already got.)

thanks. and sorry about the 20q's, its a whole new world

jake

sweet. cheers for the feedback guys. where abouts do i find these 34 coolers in melb?? i live in the eastern subs but dont mind driving (thats why i brought the car) around.? also how much of a power gain would i expect to get over the stock 33 cooler i got now? (with the mods ive already got.)

thanks. and sorry about the 20q's, its a whole new world

jake

e-bay and the for sale section of these forums would be your best bet or you could try wrecking yards but I found them to be 2 $$$.

As for the Kw gain for a front mount or r34smic the answer is none...what it will allow you to do is run higher boost levels and a more agressive tune which = more Kw with reduced risk of detonation or mechanical failure... in other words it helps keep the induction side of things cool nothing more.

But of course if you are currently getting detonation/pinging it will help these probs and will feel like it's given a performance gain.

Edited by madbung

Hey bud welcome been reading about your plight...i have a r34 smic you can have make me an offer. I put fmic on my r34 and being in w.a i get the luxury of both pod and fmic. freight would be your only concern, i can get it over to you if you like but don't know the cost yet. can find out they are not too big or heavy mnaybe an airbag??? let me know if you are interested. :)