SAU Community

Turbo Timer - Need Your Opinion

And

Hi guys,

Just got my Stagea on the roads this week... and it does not have turbo timer. Not a big deal but I'd rather have one...

Well, I think I have 3 options

- install proper turbo timer with options to adjust time, etc.

- install an add-on chip to security system which will run the engine for 1 min and will arm system after that.

- same add-on but will run engine for 3 min.

Cost of options 2 and 3 - around $80. Option 1 - no idea.

What would you recommend ? What are the pros and contras ?

I suggest you save you money and just drive easy for the last 2-5mins of your drive, it's not hard?

And do some reading of this, it might change your mind on timers, I know it did mine. And yes mine has one, but it is turned off and hidden deep under the dash :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=2309803

and

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=152297

just run it on teh security system for 1 minute

the problem with turbo timers, is getting them to integrate into the alarm

however, for 120 bucks, you can get a new turbo time, and a new harness to make it plug and play.

so its up to you

But diffs, and trannys, dont have bearings that get as hot as your turbo.

You use a turbo time to save the life of the bearing in yout turbo

Well, $80 (or even $60, if you bring car to them) is not a huge amount of money. if it worth it. As said, there is an add-on to the security system, it actually works with an alarm. I can double check with the guys there but from what I've been told, the thing just runs an engine for a minute (or three) and after that arms the system. You will need a remote comtrol to disarm it..

From this point of view, security is not a big problem.

The question is - does TT really help to extend life of car turbo ?

I would say it would only help the turbo if you go thrashing it around and then want to pull up and get out of the car.......... and I cant think of any times which I have been in that position in my Stagea, I have when I took my R33 out to the track, but even then I did a cooling lap, used no boost and let it stil there idling for 3mins.

If you drive sedatly then you are having cool air blown through the turbo, which has to be more efficient then sucking in potentally hot air from the engin bay, the garage or just sitting there.............. wouldnt it?

yes it does

people cant contemplate it all they want

But if you let a piece of metal cool down with no assistance, vs with assistance, it will last longer.

So you let it cool down whilst driving, in the last 3-5mins, why let it sit there and idle when all you need to do is control yourself and be gentle with the throttle just before you get to your destination?

The thing is, contrary to popular belief, the timer isn't there to "cool" the turbo down, but to allow it to slow or stop spinning. Even when your car is "off" boost, you still have a certain amount of exhaust pressure causing the turbine to spin. About the only time the engine is not producing enough pressure to do this is at idle.

I fully agree with Ska in regards to driving lightly for the last few minutes - its a great idea for even NA cars, but the problem is, even if your turbo is only pulling 5ooorpm when you pull into the drive (as opposed to 15000-20000 rpm when on boost) do you really want to cut off its oil supply immediately?

IMO, it is cheap insurance against swallowing the innards of a turbo which will destroy your engine, no questions asked.

When I owned my R33 I used to sit on the rpm limiter and ran 14psi through the stock turbo, WITHOUT a FMIC and turn it straight off, did it for 2.5yrs, flogged the crap out of it, never had a problem with the turbo........ gearbox suffered and so did the bottom end, but not the turbo..........

Anyway how long does it take for a turbo to stop spinning? As when I park I always let it sit idling whilst I am getting all my stuff ready to get out, and usually to max my time in the air-con as rocky heat is bad, so really I am my own turbo timer, although it is never more then about 20-30secs sitting on idle, surely if I have been gently driving it then that time that I spend sitting there is enough to let it slow down.

Also whenever I am parking it I usually take 3-5mins to find a park, and doing laps of carparks at less then 10kph or taking the 5mins it takes me to get up my driveway, (true ask captainsane I have the driveway from HELL), surely that all adds to the "cooling" and "slowing" time?

All up I think I do a more then average "cool" or "slow" time just by doing these couple of small, easy things, so why do I need to let it idle there for another 1-3mins?

Ska, that probably is enough insurance for the turbo to slow down enough. (like you, I drive nice 'n easy for the last 3-5 minutes of a drive and I only use my 30sec timer on short drives anyway) but did you ever do a shaft movement check on the 33? You probably would have had a bit of a fright if you did. :O

The thing is, this is the main reason that turbo charged engines used to have a reputation for having very short service lives up until fairly recently.

I have been involved in SOS (scheduled oil sampling) for diesels and I can tell you that the presence of bearing metal in the oil is the first sign that the engine is not being cared for properly, and this usually comes from the turbo cartridge before anywhere else.

The thing you have to remember about turbo's is they usually degrade so slowly that you don't realize how much they have crapped themselves until they go sub-nuclear and you replace them (and the motor) and think "wow! this thing has got HEAPS more power!"

Edited by newbie101

I agree with most of the other guys (that probably don't have one either) don't install one at all. I don't have one and wouldn't opt to install one. Anyway I was under the impression it was an illegal option anyway, to lock and leave your car while it is still running? But I may be wrong!

Yeah it is here in QLD, also it is illeagal to leave your car unlocked or with your windows down unattended, but never seen a ticket written out for it but.

true ask captainsane I have the driveway from HELL

It's true

If i remember corectly it was a 5 point manouvre to get it up the driveway + whatever else for 'launch errors' getting into the garage

though it doesn't help only having 17mm of ground clearance...LOL :)

OK, here is a fairly useful link for preventative maintenance from an aftermarket turbo manufacturer.

http://www.innovativeturbo.com/pages/turbo...eam&sl=tech

Have a read if you like because it covers all sorts of stuff, but the quote applicable to this thread reads as

2. Take steps to reduce temperatures and speeds from their maximums before shutting the engine down. turbochargers operate at speeds and continuous temperatures that are higher than most other machines. When an engine is run at maximum power/torque output, turbocharger speeds and temperatures are also at maximum. Problems can be caused for the engine and more so for the turbocharger when the engine is shut off at this point. This may require operation at medium idle or at "light load" conditions while still maintaining full engine oil pressure and airflow over the cooling system. Following these guidelines will prevent prolonged turbocharger rotation without lubrication and the formation of carbon deposits that can form as residual oil is decomposed in the bearings and center housing (heat soak-back).

*ends rant, backs out of thread slowly* :)