SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

nice seeing a hwy patrol police car parked in autobarn doncaster handing out tickets / epa etc to people with their cars turned off.

smart policeman right there!

Skyline was EPA'd last night. I question how it was tested (near a wall) but I'm trying to consider my options. The letter is coming in the mail so I'll have a little while to sort it out. It measured 91dB at 4800rpm on acceleration, 96dB on deceleration. It surprises me as even the tester agreed it didn't sound loud. So it's only

just over until I back off (not that I ever really do the RPM it was tested at :yes: )

I'm figuring if I do the swap for stock exhaust trick I'll get done again seeing as I drive the car every day and I'll now be on the EPA's target list. What options for a slim second muffler do I have? My issue is clearance, which is why I had it removed when I bought the car.

The EPA guy knew quite a bit. Even noticed my boost control solenoid was bypassed, which is something I had never noticed. I knew it ran higher than stock boost but never knew exactly why. I suppose I should be thankful that car is otherwise stock aside from the exhaust and all they were testing was noise.

did you get a fine to go with it?

i wouldnt worry swap it over, clear it and go back to what you have they dont have a "target" list so thats the best advice.

think how many times you've been done in all the time you've had modified car

You're right, I've owned modified cars for a while and I've never had an issue.

No fine, he said he wasn't going to fine me, only warn me. Probably because I was being honest and cooperative. Kept asking me if it was my car, that was annoying.

I just think swapping the exhaust over mightn't be the best idea as I drive the car every day and I'm bound to get done again. I'll speak to the exhaust shop about adding a hotdog and see if that would get it legal?

doubt it will make it legal the shop will just be happyto take ya money best thing is to have a spare stock exhaust and play the game its wierd how they keep asking is it your car i hate that what if u say no? they leave u alone i doubt it haha

It should have not been done against the wall. They just wanted to f**k you over. It would have picked up reverb and everything. They test it at 4800rpm for an rb25det. Main EPA centre parks it in the middle of a carpark and measure it there.

It was sideways to a wall, the wall was about 3m away (the microphone was closer to it.) Look, to be honest, it was possibly a few dB higher than the limit on back-off, but I think the wall may have echoed the sound a bit. I'll get it tested before I go and modify anything in the exhaust/get a stock exhaust.