SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

You'd need progammable management, that would then mean you need to go through full testing to statisfy the EPA

Larger injectors are not ''acceptable' as a mod simply because they need the ECU adjustments to control them.

Full ADR testing is worth almost half your car mate, it's not done by an engineer either.

You'd need progammable management, that would then mean you need to go through full testing to statisfy the EPA

Larger injectors are not ''acceptable' as a mod simply because they need the ECU adjustments to control them.

Full ADR testing is worth almost half your car mate, it's not done by an engineer either.

yeah i know it aint done by engineer. Looking for more info regarding who does it and how much they charge etc. Doesnt hurt to do some research as the same info can be applied to any modified car.

In my case the emissions test was done by the engineer as they had data to support the acceptable emissions limits of the engine I was installing. And the engine was standard.

In your case you'd require a full emissions test from scratch. And when I checked into that it was well over $2000 for the test...and if you fail, over $2000 to go for the test again, etc.

It's not worth it.

In my case the emissions test was done by the engineer as they had data to support the acceptable emissions limits of the engine I was installing. And the engine was standard.

In your case you'd require a full emissions test from scratch. And when I checked into that it was well over $2000 for the test...and if you fail, over $2000 to go for the test again, etc.

It's not worth it.

Thanks for that, would you happen to have any contact information regarding the full emission testing? and who your engineer was?

Cheers

contacted a couple of engineers. Managed to kindly extract some information :bunny:

For anyone interested;

AD*R 79/00 test: $1300 + gst

AD*R 37/01 test: $1600 + gst

This cost also follows the additional fees for the engineer to organise such testing and eventually certifying/approving the car.

Ideally a test should be done to determine the current state of the car and then improve to ensure it meets standards. (ie. in the ballpark of at least 2 tests; before/after)

Estimating $5000~ worth of costs if the modifications can fall within ADR guidelines.

Will update with more info as it comes in.

Depends largely on the engineer too.

My car is fully engineered and I had EXTENSIVE modifications.

Adjustable Suspension/Exhaust/turbo Motor/ECU/FMIC/Modded Speedo/Bigger wheels+Tyres+brakes/Harnesses/Seats/etc. etc.

All up cost was $1250. which included brake tests and 3 inspections. This also included a $300 fee for a call out to detail the list of mods.

I'm happy as larry.

Adjustable Suspension/Exhaust/turbo Motor/ECU/FMIC/Modded Speedo/Bigger wheels+Tyres+brakes/Harnesses/Seats/etc. etc.

All up cost was $1250. which included brake tests and 3 inspections. This also included a $300 fee for a call out to detail the list of mods.

I'm happy as larry.

thats awesome! Could you please provide me with your engineer's details! This will greatly help me!

Thanks

thats awesome! Could you please provide me with your engineer's details! This will greatly help me!

Thanks

Talk Torque Automotive

Bill Malkoutzis

PM me if you want his ph etc.

I'm happy as larry.

re-reading your mod list.

The engine conversion would have already been epa compliant as a factory engine has been put in. The only epa changing modification I can see is the ecu. (unless you engineered a larger turbo and/or larger injectors?) Although I have read that ecu compliance would also fall under full emission testing etc... Needs more reading into!

Pat is talking the EPA/Emissions side of it Nik :D

The Engineers side - mechanically and for transplants with factory setups etc is not that difficult to get passed if you put a fair bit of thought into it.

Similar to my car, hardly a thing factory on it - motor/brakes/diff/gearbox/suspension etc.

(I used enkelmen same as a fair few SAU people)

It's the emissions approval/testing that is the killer :P

I passed the emission too (which is a requirement). But I kind of had it easy over you guys.

Minimum 96db

Can't remember the CO percentage, but it was higher than what you guys have to meet.

That was it.

The joys of owning a car pre 1974.

• 3 weeks later...

Need some Roadworthy help guys.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=12918C227C36

WTB this R33. Just spoke to the guy and when he took it to enquire about a roadworthy he claimed that they said everything was all good except the speedo and the fact that it was modded.

Does the car have to be returned to stock before being eligible for a roady? If not, what out of those mods would be causing the problem?

Is there anywhere I could take it in Melbourne where they may look the other way? Also will a State Roads inspection tell me anything else that is not roadworthy?

PM me. Cheers.

P.S. If I buy the car, can I get a cover note and drive it back to my area to get it roadworthied in the western suburbs? Then I can turn in the transfer papers with the roadworthy at a local Vic Roads at a later date?

Edited by juzz88

yes insurance give 14 day cover notes, only thing i would change would be pod to air box and remove bov for stock as long as the oil catch can is sealed (think thats the requirment) you'll be fine they dont care about exhausts etc, and it sounds like a turn flow cooler so all good to go.

as for dodgy mechanics they dont exists...........

yes insurance give 14 day cover notes, only thing i would change would be pod to air box and remove bov for stock as long as the oil catch can is sealed (think thats the requirment) you'll be fine they dont care about exhausts etc, and it sounds like a turn flow cooler so all good to go.

as for dodgy mechanics they dont exists...........

Cool thanks. What if he doesn't have the stock air box?

And how much am I looking at spending to get the the BOV and Pod removed, then put back in again?

And how much is it to get a speedo fixed?

Hopefully he changes his mind on doing the RWC, I haven't even been to look at the car yet and this is already annoying!

Cheers.

if he doesnt have one buy one or borrow one, best bet is to buy one as you'll have headaches from teh popo for having front mount & pod as your only allowed one intake mod. same applies for bov should be able to pick up both for under $100.

as for speedo no idea.