SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

Read the 3rd post.

It has a link to the documentation. Sorry but I'm not going to give you the answer when it's clearly provided like that.

I did. Have read that document a hundred times and it doesn't have the answers I'm looking for. I have two pre-76 cars I'm planning on modifying. That document only goes back to '76. It'd be good to know what is legal before I go doing engine swaps and other, obvious to spot mods.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering whats the rules and regulations about having a surge tank, are they illegal full stop no matter where they are? I want to put mine where the spare tyre compartment is and probably replace that wood cover with a sheet metal cover which I will bolt there to cover it to try keep the smell down and also safety since the battery is in the boot. And also what are there restrictions for track scruitenering is it only not allowed to be in your boot if you have a hatch without a separete boot like on 180s?

Surge tanks are fine. For being street legal you have to obey the following:

As long as they are in a vented compartment, which can contain a fire if a fitting comes loose and drops/sprays fuel everywhere.

If you put your surge inside your boot, you must have a box surrounding it, ideally made of metal, with venting to the outside world.

Race application is different, and I wont comment as I have always had a 'street legal' car so never worried about scrutineers.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleared my Noise EPA on friday. Sunday did my gear box, Monday i get a FULL EPA letter. whistling.gifkill me.

Anyway, read almost all of the 43 pages, same questions popped up 20 times so im a bit nervous about asking this one... but i think ill fire away anyway...

My question is:

Clearly PFC and Injectors are not allowed, but i had a guy tell me that they didnt check and he got away, with everything else being stock. Has anyone else had similar experience where the guys didnt check ecu or do they usually check?

Ive pulled out my boost controller, pod, exhaust etc just wondering do i have ANY chance of should i not even try.

Full EPA? Don't risk it.

I've seen them open the ECU cover, unplug AFM's, use the consult port etc. All of which will give you away mate.

They also know the colour of stock injectors.

It's your call either way as it is totally luck of the draw.

Full EPA? Don't risk it.

I've seen them open the ECU cover, unplug AFM's, use the consult port etc. All of which will give you away mate.

They also know the colour of stock injectors.

It's your call either way as it is totally luck of the draw.

Ohh not the answer i was hoping for... o well pull em out i guess.

Thx for superfast answer

Ive had full EPAs twice and they ripped out the kick panels checked ecu checked injectors and everything so its really a 30 dollar gamble so if you fail you have to pay 30 again to get it retested.

Might risk it just cos im lazy. Got plenty of time to go again and pass if, and when i fail. Lol

problem with being lazy is - it goes down on your file.

if you get pinned again, and again with the same mods... you better stock up on lube as they can cancel your rego and make the car unregisterable as just one possible outcome.

always pays to go in standard without one iota of ammunition for them

problem with being lazy is - it goes down on your file.

if you get pinned again, and again with the same mods... you better stock up on lube as they can cancel your rego and make the car unregisterable as just one possible outcome.

always pays to go in standard without one iota of ammunition for them

didnt think of it like that, oh well.

What is the best way to pass "CO" test..."idle" and "high idle"?. max is 4.5% i had 4.6 on idle and 5.8 on high idle.spank.gif

Got a letter in the mail about exhaust been too loud :( and need to take it for EPA!!!!!!!

question is, i have a pipe through the cat and what do i have to do to bring it back to normal?

Any help please??????

Got a letter in the mail about exhaust been too loud :( and need to take it for EPA!!!!!!!

question is, i have a pipe through the cat and what do i have to do to bring it back to normal?

Any help please??????

A stock GTR exhaust rarely passes - a clear example of how stupid the EPA laws are. I mean a 100% factory GTR, is over the limit. Full of shit this state.

So you'll need

1x factory cat

1x factory exhaust

1x baffle plate (just a metal plate with a dozen small holes drilled into it

Then you'll pass no problem

A stock GTR exhaust rarely passes - a clear example of how stupid the EPA laws are. I mean a 100% factory GTR, is over the limit. Full of shit this state.

So you'll need

1x factory cat

1x factory exhaust

1x baffle plate (just a metal plate with a dozen small holes drilled into it

Then you'll pass no problem

Thanks R31Nismoid

I wonder where i can get these now :(

bloody stupid law...when the compliance is done, do they do the exhaust sound test?

SSV did my car compliance when i first bought from them...

• 3 weeks later...

Got EPA a while back. might as well write up the story.

Got a letter in the mail, some EPA car bitched. I found it amusing considering i had just put on a new muffler that was quieter then my practically straight pipe i was running beforehand.

So, found a stock s14 exhaust and stock cat. The owner said the stock s14 had the original resonator replaced with something better. Awesome, every bit helps.

Replaced the exhausted, realized I had leaks coming from the front of the car. Fixed a large front pipe leak but I could now hear leaks coming from the engine bay.

Thought my manifold had cracked, only choice was to remove the entire turbo, check the manifold and all the gaskets.

Asked for an extensionand got a 1 week extension.

Removed everything and found that my last exhaust manifold stud had broken off in the head. Paid for something to drill out the stud.

Bought a standard manifold and started to put everything back on the car only to find I managed to damage the thread of the turbo oil line on the block cuz of the banjo bolt.

Asked the EPA for an extension and got a 2 week extension after writing a letter.

Tapped the damaged thread and bought a braided oil line. Fixed all the leaks between the exhaust sections.

830am on a saturday got a test.

Passed on 85db.

The tester draws a diagram of the exhaust and writes down what he thinks he standard or not. He had a question marked over my cat.

Tips to pass, stock system. 90db is quiet as. No leaks. Tester didn't check emission control systems.