SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

what car u got? he shouldnt care about your exhaust hieght as said above epa and rwc are two very different things.

best bet is to borrow someones stock exhaust get it put on tested take it off and return it to the owner. i suggest returning it cos you know an exhaust isnt worth busted knee caps..

or better yet, just go to a wrecker depending on ur car and buy a stock cat back exhaust.i bought stock exahusts for my r32 gtr r32 gtst and r33 gtst all cost around 80 bucks from wreckers, thast what i paid anyway, and it's quite easy to pull on and off yourself... and as for epas, my record was 16 epa's in 6 months and that was for noise and also for full epa emissions tests... it's fun looking at the folder with the photos of your car and description...apart from that theyre good blokes and just doing there job...but yeah no limit on how many times they epa you...

what car u got? he shouldnt care about your exhaust hieght as said above epa and rwc are two very different things.

best bet is to borrow someones stock exhaust get it put on tested take it off and return it to the owner. i suggest returning it cos you know an exhaust isnt worth busted knee caps..

r34gtt :D

i am looking for aftermarket alternatives if possible. but still a pain ;) if its too costly to put an aftermarket one that meet noise emission, then i might just go back to stockies :P

or better yet, just go to a wrecker depending on ur car and buy a stock cat back exhaust.i bought stock exahusts for my r32 gtr r32 gtst and r33 gtst all cost around 80 bucks from wreckers, thast what i paid anyway, and it's quite easy to pull on and off yourself... and as for epas, my record was 16 epa's in 6 months and that was for noise and also for full epa emissions tests... it's fun looking at the folder with the photos of your car and description...apart from that theyre good blokes and just doing there job...but yeah no limit on how many times they epa you...

I just might go grab a stockie :) However, I am not very technical on the aspect to put it on and off myself :)

16 epa's in 6mths is madness.. its like costing more than 500bucks!

hmm if i really do get 16epa's i reckon i wld be pretty good at popin' those exhaust in and out LOL

Edited by Dostalgia

Yes there is. If you get reported too often you simply have your rego cancelled by the EPA as you continually do not conform.

So there is most certainly big issues with constantly getting EPA's

And hence, even across 3 cars - (5 EPA's each)... I'm surprised that no rego's were cancelled on any of them.

Do you happen to have them all you could scan/post with dates?

haha glad u called it ash cos i was about too.. 16 in 6 months epic bs. given you get 28 days from memory to fix whats wrong after the test its time frame impossible.

dostalgia u wont have an issue finding an aftermarket exhaust that can meet emmissions but noise will be the problem but keep a stock exhaust and do the ol switcheroo.. just dont for straight pipes and you'll be pretty right hah

thx for the advise alr33x :O

anyway just got tested today... 91DB from a 5inch canon.. not bad imo... but yeah it got to go :(

now am the lookout for an aftermarket one that will fit legal noise levels :)

5" tip... i bet the muffler itself is not 5"

correct, 5" tip, i have a resonator. it is the backing off from the accelerator which creates echo off the 5" tip that causes the DB to shoot up :wub:

correct, 5" tip, i have a resonator. it is the backing off from the accelerator which creates echo off the 5" tip that causes the DB to shoot up :D

Changed from a KAKIMOTO to a TANABE, sounds much quieter by the good ol' trusty ear.. quick test with the device, shows 85db and backing off hitting 86db...

exact test this friday. wish me luck!

Changed from a KAKIMOTO to a TANABE, sounds much quieter by the good ol' trusty ear.. quick test with the device, shows 85db and backing off hitting 86db...

exact test this friday. wish me luck!

cleared my EPA with a DB of 86/88 where 88 comes from the echo from backing off the accelerator.

I have a question about a "canary" which i got this afternoon, they got me for bald tyres, EBC, cooler/pod, handbrake needed adjusting and my window washer nozel needed adjusting..

Now i'm not complaining as much as it sucks balls, but they said that i need to make an appointment with vic roads and take my car and my roadworthy cert there aswell.. i've spoken to a few friends who have received unroadworthy's in the past years and they said that they dont check your car...

Now is this true? Will vic roads want to see my vehicle prior to removing the sticker and clearing the defect?

Thanks for your help guys...

George

well i ve been vicroads for plenty of times and they do check on your car, but i dont think they know what exactly they should check even if they got lists on hands. cuz i have to say some of them are real d**b... i just got my canary cleared last week and the girl didnt even kno how to clear my defect notice. but man u were so lucky as cops didnt send u to engineers.

Ok so after using the search and skimming through all the pages of this thread looking for de-cat, I could only see a small bit on it on page 6 or something.

So, I was thinking about de-cating the car for dyno/drag/track days. As I have no tow car or trailer would probably drive my car to these events. What would the repercussions be exactly if I was unlucky enough to have a cop spot a fireball come out of the the exhaust? or be pulled into an epa bus?

Earlier in the thread somone got an on the spot $1500 and then a full epa, others say there is a max of 10k but then is that like an epa for noise? where you can just ... *cough* Swap exhausts *cough* and then go get it tested for $80 or what ever it costs and if it passes you're in the clear?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

10k is a joke noone has ever been fined that, cops/epa will look for a cat so make sure you have a cat or a look a like one (gutted cat). or better and safer go highflow cat.

Lol, i just got the EPA in the mail.

Now that i've seen this bullshit with my own eyes, well, it really is bullshit. I can't even hear my exhaust in the cabin.

I'll be getting it tested anyhow, prolly tomorrow, there goes 40 dollars. Where's the petition!?

And so i passed. At 86/88, most of the whole system was stock. Tsk.

What a waste of my time, i'm going to write them a letter just to appease myself, both EPA and Vic Police, even if they ignore my letter, at least i tried, does anybody want to add any points? PM me =D

r34gtt :P

i am looking for aftermarket alternatives if possible. but still a pain :) if its too costly to put an aftermarket one that meet noise emission, then i might just go back to stockies :D

I just might go grab a stockie :) However, I am not very technical on the aspect to put it on and off myself :D

16 epa's in 6mths is madness.. its like costing more than 500bucks!

hmm if i really do get 16epa's i reckon i wld be pretty good at popin' those exhaust in and out LOL

i smashed the epa with a VE commodore exhaust! kek!