SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

media template:

[modification] is being blamed for increase crash risk

follow by an article with no statistics or facts of any kind to proved such claims.

come on, we all know statistics and facts arnt found in the herald sun!

Hey guys just some advisement... (nice way of asking for a answer) as im from the land with all them sheep you love to tease us about but have secret dirty thoughts about where modifying a car to become illegal means it is not road worth or is a jet plane cable tired to your roof

but im moving to Aus on monday actually and ive been getting aussie car mags so i can learn a few things about whats legal n so forth, and from reading this thread if come up with a few questions since im a dumb sheep slayer as you will be harrasing me about

1. A varex exhaust is illegal i understand that, so what if you have it quite enough to pass with the exhaust on open is it still illegal?? (see where im coming from) as the exhaust is illegal or just having it shut is illegal cause it can be opened (not welded shut)??

2. what the hell is ADR? ive seen in mags where the bonnet is ADR approved so does that make it legal? or does it mean it will pass a form of certification test where all your add ons BOV, Front mount,POD, Injectors blah blah Front facing plenum(for a RB25 as i saw that its illegal to modify you plenum in anyway) can become certified and legal? obviously for a cost, thats what im getting at but im not to sure??

3. where is this place that it gets certified as we have that sort of thing over here like if you change your seats or swap engines you need a cert to show its installed appropriatly and safe is that the same as in aus?

im sorry ive all this has been answered but i got about have way through the thread and skipped a few pages then carried on

1. You'll never get a varex equipped exhaust legal IMO. Muffler only works properly in recirc mode. Begs the question of "why both" when they cost so much :D

2. ADR - Australian Design Rules

3. There are many. Just plug into the VicRoads search - VASS

Any VASS engineer can give approval.

So nismoid does if i got a ADR cert or whatever you call it, and i got pulled up for a noisy exhaust and emissions or what ever i would pass with the extra mods correct? (considering my exhaust is still legal)

Hey guys, first time posting here...

jst wanna say thanks for this thread..awesome work keeping this thread alive for so long and hard work R31Nismoid...!

just got my epa letter today for noise and most of my questions got answered..=)

now to js fix my problem and pass the epa testing.. =(

anyone got a spare stock mufflers to loan?

cheers guys

King

Edited by arance

So nismoid does if i got a ADR cert or whatever you call it, and i got pulled up for a noisy exhaust and emissions or what ever i would pass with the extra mods correct? (considering my exhaust is still legal)

from what i know about engineers certificates wont help much, and your exhaust wont be legal because of the cert it will be legal because its below 90db if its not then you will still get done for it.

ur car isnt loud lmao

cos you'd know. take your n/a fail boat outta here brew :D

Hey guys, first time posting here...

jst wanna say thanks for this thread..awesome work keeping this thread alive for so long and hard work R31Nismoid...!

just got my epa letter today for noise and most of my questions got answered..=)

now to js fix my problem and pass the epa testing.. =(

anyone got a spare stock mufflers to loan?

cheers guys

King

where u located? i got a cat back 33 stock exhaust but i gotta pass epa with it first after that i can probably help you out

Hey alr33x, just called my workshop and they got stock ones that i can borrow..

thanks for your great offer tho :D

all the best for your epa..

King

If you get an engineers cert, and your exhaust is legal - then you can still be "reported" for a "check".

Its not a case of being proven guilty. You are guilty by default in this state.

Hey guys. In short, is a RB25DE+T legal? (If done correctly)

Ie, under section 4, pages 7&8 of:

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publica...6;FILE/1031.pdf

"the conversion is unconditionally endorsed in writing by the vehicle manufacturer as being ADR compliant"

I doubt Nissan would be interested in writing said letter?

"the type has ADR certification"

Ie. an ADR approved Greddy or whatever kit would fall into this category?

"the converted vehicle is in all respects identical to the production turbocharged/supercharged vehicle"

Which wouldn't be possible as the RB25DE and RB25DET run different internals/heads?

Or, is it the kind of thing that you could get engineered provided you did it properly?

I'm happy to get it engineered or carry a big book around. Lol.

Any help appreciated as I am looking to start getting parts for my conversion. ;)

If you get an engineers cert, and your exhaust is legal - then you can still be "reported" for a "check".

Its not a case of being proven guilty. You are guilty by default in this state.

amen brother.

Hey guys. In short, is a RB25DE+T legal? (If done correctly)

Ie, under section 4, pages 7&8 of:

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publica...6;FILE/1031.pdf

"the conversion is unconditionally endorsed in writing by the vehicle manufacturer as being ADR compliant"

I doubt Nissan would be interested in writing said letter?

"the type has ADR certification"

Ie. an ADR approved Greddy or whatever kit would fall into this category?

"the converted vehicle is in all respects identical to the production turbocharged/supercharged vehicle"

Which wouldn't be possible as the RB25DE and RB25DET run different internals/heads?

Or, is it the kind of thing that you could get engineered provided you did it properly?

I'm happy to get it engineered or carry a big book around. Lol.

Any help appreciated as I am looking to start getting parts for my conversion. ;)

why bother? either by an RB25DET and drop it in, or since n/a have crappy brakes an shit as far as i know upgrade toa GTS-T given they are cheaper then n/a's in some instances

DE+T is not legal

But then think about it, how would they know?

As long as you use ALL the RB25DET Emission controlls from ECU to AFM's etc, then you wont have a drama.

as above seems like a lot of effort when DET's are readily available to purchase

I want to do the DE+T conversion, personal choice that's all. The idea of a turbo top end, but still keeping the N/A responsiveness and power appeals to me, and this particular car has a sort of sentimental value to me. Why does the majority jump to the conclusion of "engine out" or "new car" whenever there's a whisper of a DE+T? Do they post on holden forums about how everyone should fit a GEN III or buy an SS when they want to supercharge a 6? No...

R31 Nismoid, illegal as in because it's not an identical set-up to the DET? Thanks for the reply btw. ;)

You have a non turbo body - it's just logical to sell and buy a turbo one.

brakes, gearbox and so on - depending on the engineer they might tell you they need to be upgraded... talk to them FIRST to find out.

You have a non turbo body - it's just logical to sell and buy a turbo one.

brakes, gearbox and so on - depending on the engineer they might tell you they need to be upgraded... talk to them FIRST to find out.

Cheers ;)