SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

I want to do the DE+T conversion, personal choice that's all. The idea of a turbo top end, but still keeping the N/A responsiveness and power appeals to me, and this particular car has a sort of sentimental value to me. Why does the majority jump to the conclusion of "engine out" or "new car" whenever there's a whisper of a DE+T? Do they post on holden forums about how everyone should fit a GEN III or buy an SS when they want to supercharge a 6? No...

R31 Nismoid, illegal as in because it's not an identical set-up to the DET? Thanks for the reply btw. :D

many reasons the simple fact is because its the smart thing to do, its easier, cheaper and you get a significantly better car as nismoid said are you going to upgrade everything else as well or just wack a turbo on and hope for the best?

nobody is having a go at you we are giving you the best advice and trying to save you a lot of money and wasted time.

And if you do a de+t are you going to upgrade everything else to turbo? Brakes, diff? Can add up. Not to mention you can't run much boost through em or you will blow em up. So easiest way is to sell it and buy a turbo

If you get an engineers cert, and your exhaust is legal - then you can still be "reported" for a "check".

Its not a case of being proven guilty. You are guilty by default in this state.

thanks nismoid and i think its most countries government has the same rule bout being guilty...

Guilty till proven innocent!

ok so times comin up for me to be of my p plates so thinkin sellin my na n buying a gtst

got a few questions

1. intercoolers, where are the factory holes located so i can tell if they have cut a hole that wasnt standard becuse the extra holes make car unroadworthy correct? and yes i know only legal with factory airbox.

2. been lookin at a gtst on carsales its pretty much all stock but got a Garret turbo in it, now this turbo is not standard can u get pined for this?

3. some on sale have boost controlers/Turbo Timers, i know this is an illegal mod, how easy would it be to remove it etc, or would i be better of asking the seller to remove it before i buy?

thanks for the help in advance Jason

OK I am one of those guys who couldn't believe that you could fail an EPA test with a stock exhaust.

BIGGG mistake.

Anyways found a place around the corner from the Morrabbin EPA tester.

I have an R32 GTR and these guys helped me pass.

TRUFIT Exhausts

435 Warrigal Road

Moorabbin

Speak to Gary. Nice guy. No I do not work for him.

ok so times comin up for me to be of my p plates so thinkin sellin my na n buying a gtst

got a few questions

1. intercoolers, where are the factory holes located so i can tell if they have cut a hole that wasnt standard becuse the extra holes make car unroadworthy correct? and yes i know only legal with factory airbox.

2. been lookin at a gtst on carsales its pretty much all stock but got a Garret turbo in it, now this turbo is not standard can u get pined for this?

3. some on sale have boost controlers/Turbo Timers, i know this is an illegal mod, how easy would it be to remove it etc, or would i be better of asking the seller to remove it before i buy?

thanks for the help in advance Jason

1. look for a hole in thebody under the washer bottle if it has that try and avoid it the hole require engineers cert which is a pain in the azz u can get it welded up etc and swap to turn flow hopefully cops then wont notice it since they dont need to look there.

2. if its in standard position and not some big fk off top mount its highly unlikely you'l get done for it

3. easy as to remove but if u can get the car to come with a rwc make ur life a lot easier.

lemme know if you got more q's bro :D

thanks alex

yer i want to avoid the hassel etc so wanna make sure everythings ligit b4 i swap cars etc

yer deffs get buyer to sell with roadworthy for my peace of mind

and also remember i live in knox area lol hence the reason im taking the extra caution with what i buy and what mods it has to start with.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

sorry if this been covered before but didnt feel like reading 43 pages to find out lol

anyways Question is

am going to hiflow my stock RB25 turbo, would epa pick on that?

Has anyone had any experience about VASS engineering certificates? Doing some research.

Have heard heresay about them only lasting 30 days, but the only info I can find is that Vicroads will only accept them if they are less than 30 days old! No mention of them expiring once Vicroads has received the VASS cert. he more direct info the better, no BS hearsay about the rules.

Thank you <3

the problem with the certificate is the car is approved as per that cert at the time its issued, the police will be likely to say yes but that was issued on X date you MAY have made changes to the car since then hence defect.

is that what your asking about? or you mean engineers for holes in chassis?

the problem with the certificate is the car is approved as per that cert at the time its issued, the police will be likely to say yes but that was issued on X date you MAY have made changes to the car since then hence defect.

is that what your asking about? or you mean engineers for holes in chassis?

nah talking about engineering the car for the modifications it has on it. Does the certificate state what exactly has been approved and tested? Or is it just a generic cert saying car is certified. If someone was going down the path of engineering, they would have put all the mods on first and then spent the money, so i think its a bit uncommon to upgrade after all the time/effort has been spent to get the cert?

Wondering if anyone has engineered modifications for their car in victoria.

^ Depends what you pay for.

If you want it all listed and so on, it all needs to be checked/tested.

My VASS was around $600 that was just for a motor swap & brake test (bare minimum). This was also because the car was VASS'd 7 years earlier.

Things are listed down, you'll just need them looked at which id imagine would add a little to the cost.

They are only valid for 28-30 days or whatever in which time you need to submit to VicRoads.

There after it would also them mean it's free game in the eyes of the Law.

No such "rule" they expire, given they go on your file. However as Alex said, nothing to stop officers claming you changed something.

You'd have to go through the court B/S to prove em wrong and so on.

If you have the time, then great, but not everyone does.

My Pulsar has a VASS certificate. I required it to change the engine number after an SR20DET conversion as the engine was never an option for the car. They check engine mounts, intake system, emissions, noise, height, brakes (including a drive test with brake test) to ensure everything is safe and complies with the relevent ADR's for the year the car was manufactured.

It cannot stop you getting defected for other modifications that aren't checked, legal and listed on your certificate. You have 30 Days to submit the form to Vicroads if you have been asked to do so - in my case so I could legally register my car with the engine it had in it. I hadn't been defected, it was just a precautionary measure because there was far more on the car I didn't want an officer to look at should he realise my engine number didn't match my registration. Just a bit of piece of mind. The certificate doesn't expire as such. I'm sure if an officer was being picky your engineer can re-issue the certificate provided no changes have been made.

My certificate was $750

Thanks all for the tips. Im mainly interested in getting larger injectors. However this would involve an ecu map to handle the larger injectors, and under the EPA guidelines is acceptable as long as it cant be re-programed and meets ADR. (Replace eprom chip in ecu)

So regarding the above, im assuming the engineering process would involve a full emission testing which would be the same process for a large turbo and exhaust? So that would mean all mods could be emission tested at same time?

Any information regarding full emission certification would be greatly appreciated.

Also what are the engineering laws about increased power vs braking? Usually with an engine conversion you upgrade to the brakes off the car the engine came from? So how would it work with just increase in power? Is there some ratio which needs to be met etc?

Thanks