SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

Just wondering, if a car has a full epa on it can the car be sold even after the rego has been cancelled, i know it cant be whilst it still has rego not sure if it can with no rego.

Yes... I know 100% that if it does not recline, it is illegal unless the car is engineered and re-registered as a 2-seater (ie rear seats/seatbelts removed etc)

Reason: In an impact, occupants cannot escape with a seat that doesnt recline.

As for recline - not sure. They "should" be legal however there might be some ADR that states "how much" is required.

Most of the time you'll get away with that though as Officers wouldn't be aware of it long as it folds

I just got chased and pulled over for a defect after just cruising and trying to return some DVD's. Anyway don't worry about that.

The cop said he was just issuing me a warning for the car being too low and jus to go to Vic roads to clear it. So that's fine.

But i just noticed on he defect notice that it says it's a major defect and a rwc certificate required? Do I need one? Does the fact that it's a major defect mean anyhing?

Can I just go to vicroads and clear it like the officer said?

Thanks guys, I guess it's just the stigma attached with owning a skyline. But the manner in which as soon as they see you they weave through traffic and speed up to get you would make you think ur a criminal.

Anyway enough bitching from me i should just be thankful I didn't get done for anything else. Maybe I should run for PM and get the rules changed :/

This is because of the amount of people who have pod's + intercooler + atmo venting bov, the cops know that they have a greater than 50/50 chance of them being able to defect them, have a look through the forced induction section, lots of ppl post that there car is stalling, tell them its the atmo bov and there willing to live with it because there tards who's turbo education came from the fast and the furious, same with ppl having a pod and only 200rwkw, they don't want to use an air box coz the induction noise is cool!

• 3 weeks later...

hey peeps,

got pulled over last week and got done for a couple of things..

1. no rear seats

2. no padding on my half cage

3. wheels sticking out

4. tint too dark (2 rear quarters and rear wondow)

the probs is the rear window and quarters are factory and r coloured glass not filmed so will be going to vicroads and try get them to understand that the car was complied as is and also clarify the rule abt not blocking off any windows on the front half of the car and the rear didnt matter..

the other prob is that when i purchased my cage from brown davis the guy was telling me about this new act that came through in jan.. apparently we didnt have to register the car as a 2 seater and all that needed o be done was to remove the seats and seat belts and it would automatically be a legal two seater and vicroads didnt have to know. called vicroads and obviously that was bulshit and we still have to check up with them.. this question might sound a bit stupid and i think i already know the answer but i just want be 100% sure.. when theres a half cage no seats are allowed.. so im guessing i have to just put the seats back in and take the cage out yeh?!? or do i have to go register the car as a two seater and put the cage back in with padding because this is on the defect notice..?

also the cop was lookin for my tire placard and was blind as he opened the driver side door and it was right there and didnt see soo proceded to opening the opassenger door and then the glovebox.. and the handcontrolelr for my pfc was just siiting in there... they thought it was a turbo timer and i just said i wasnt too sure as my mechanic tells deals with all that for me and i just drive the car... they took photos.. so i should be expecting a letter from the epa in the mail soon im guessing.. does anyone know what sort of timeframe they give u to get the test done by any chance? and would i be getting fined for it because they know its there already or doesnt it matter? i read throught the whole thread and havent seen anyone getting photos taken of their pfc?

cheers guys

herbie

sorry to tag on before there is a reply herbie, but have a quick q...

minor defect, no rwc - excessive noise - only need vicroad clearance. Police advice was just to go down and try my luck, go when it's busy etc (as in, don't change anything, someone was obviously needing some stats that day...)

Any point going down without an exhaust test and just say everything has been sorted? :D

do they get you to turn the car on, give it a rev etc? or is it just a yes/no for exhaust test piece of paper?

Neva heard of defect for noise thats EPA issue I hope u don't get one of those for ur sake, if u got a stock exhaust I'd swap and go down to be safe as a minor they will check major they don't cos u have rwc.

Herbie easiest put seats ad shit back in, stockies and the windows not sure what u can do there though back windows didn't have a limit

sorry to tag on before there is a reply herbie, but have a quick q...

minor defect, no rwc - excessive noise - only need vicroad clearance. Police advice was just to go down and try my luck, go when it's busy etc (as in, don't change anything, someone was obviously needing some stats that day...)

Any point going down without an exhaust test and just say everything has been sorted? :D

do they get you to turn the car on, give it a rev etc? or is it just a yes/no for exhaust test piece of paper?

VicRoads have never checked exhaust noise, they dont have the equipment.

Expect EPA letter IMO.

hey peeps,

got pulled over last week and got done for a couple of things..

1. no rear seats

2. no padding on my half cage

3. wheels sticking out

4. tint too dark (2 rear quarters and rear wondow)

the probs is the rear window and quarters are factory and r coloured glass not filmed so will be going to vicroads and try get them to understand that the car was complied as is and also clarify the rule abt not blocking off any windows on the front half of the car and the rear didnt matter..

the other prob is that when i purchased my cage from brown davis the guy was telling me about this new act that came through in jan.. apparently we didnt have to register the car as a 2 seater and all that needed o be done was to remove the seats and seat belts and it would automatically be a legal two seater and vicroads didnt have to know. called vicroads and obviously that was bulshit and we still have to check up with them.. this question might sound a bit stupid and i think i already know the answer but i just want be 100% sure.. when theres a half cage no seats are allowed.. so im guessing i have to just put the seats back in and take the cage out yeh?!? or do i have to go register the car as a two seater and put the cage back in with padding because this is on the defect notice..?

also the cop was lookin for my tire placard and was blind as he opened the driver side door and it was right there and didnt see soo proceded to opening the opassenger door and then the glovebox.. and the handcontrolelr for my pfc was just siiting in there... they thought it was a turbo timer and i just said i wasnt too sure as my mechanic tells deals with all that for me and i just drive the car... they took photos.. so i should be expecting a letter from the epa in the mail soon im guessing.. does anyone know what sort of timeframe they give u to get the test done by any chance? and would i be getting fined for it because they know its there already or doesnt it matter? i read throught the whole thread and havent seen anyone getting photos taken of their pfc?

cheers guys

herbie

Caged doesnt need padding far as i am aware. And it always "used" to be you needed to VASS ENGINEER the car as a 2-seater, and rego if you are going half cage and taking seats out, belts, couplings etc. The same applied if you have a fixed back from seat (and no cage). As people cant get out in event of accident etc.

Wether the rule about the cage/re-rego has changed or not i do not know. Brown Davis are on top of the laws so it wouldnt surprise me, and that VicRoads stafff simply have no idea. Just go and ask Brown Davis for where the ruling is etc, they shouild be able to tell you where if they knew about it.

As for the pics - common place these days, expect a full EPA once they send the pics off.

You usually get a "date" to present it by when the letter comes. Usually a few weeks. You can always write and ask for extension due to work/personal reasons to get more time however you won't be able to drive it after the "date" they give you.

Got defected for boost controller - when I take my car in to VicRoads once I have it removed, will they be checking anything else? Or do they only care about what I was specifically defected for?

Thanks!