SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

Thanks in advance for the help p.s. why are coilover illigal?

Coil overs are illegal usually (unless you get hem signed off by an engineer), because typically you can change the characteristics of your car and how it brakes/handles etc. Most people that fit coil overs usually aren't suspension engineers, and therefore may decrease the cars performance. (this doesn't factor in people who actually know what they are doing though, does it.....)

I have seen instances where cars fitted with 'coil overs' have had issues with braking in an emergency stop situation.

I've got coil overs fitted to my 1600, and they are currently 100% legal because I got an automotive engineer to sign off (we did a brake test to check the brakes too)

Not sure if anyone else on here has had issues, but I have never been questioned about coilovers when getting RWC. And I'm talking about a proper RWC and not some guy who just writes one out for you (especially now with all of the photos etc).

That's just my experience though.

how are we gents, i have a r33 gtr and i need to transfer it into my girlfriends mums name because im a p plater, im going to need a rwc, my only mods are hks coilovers and twin poddys and id like to avoid the drama of changing the coilovers to stock struts the poddys im not to stressed about. my question is will there be anyone who can/will pass a gtr with atleast coilovers if anyone can please give me the name of a shop or a number of and rwc testers who might pass coilovers it would help me out alot. im not really fussed about who does it i just need it passed with little drama. thanks in advance for the help p.s. why are coilover illigal?

You know its still illegal to drive yes? Doesn't matter who's name its in.

Also... Your GFs mum? That is just asking for trouble mate. What if you break up? She could keep the car and there is very little you could do about it.

I would highly recommend you reconsider what you are about to do... Especially when there is no valid reason

Indeed it does not, however case & point argument makes it difficult... Drives it, parked at her house, puts fuel into it - all it takes is a good lawyer, and over a car that is worth at least 20k, people do weird things.

It depends on circumstances, of which we don't know any of them (and this thread really isn't the place for domestic advice haha)

Well I knew it had to happen, not long ago I got breath tested at a booze bus and had two other cops standing behind the car checking it out, two week later as a result I recieved an EPA notice in the mail for having a loud exhaust. so I added a muffler.

This Friday I went through a booze bus and was told to park the car so they could take a look over it, I was asked what mods have I done to the car (which has been many, dumb I know but as a new owner I really didn't know at the time that the mods where illegal and the workshop didn't inform me as such) instead I went through a long list of what I've done in resent times to demodifiy the car, I have now owned it for 6 years, I only got pinged for that frigging muffler that I added for it being to low, he also got me for the tinted windows, I was told that if I got the two side windows "only" retinted to a legal shade that I should be ok but I'm not to sure about that one.

Now with a yellow canary in hand and a visit to the RTA pending, can I expect a more thorough inspection of the car other than what was written on his report, exhaust and windows?

hey guys i need a r32 rb20 play card/player card whatever you call it that has the stock tyre sizes on it...cop picked it up and its on the defect notice so need it..

i tried searching google and sau but nothing close. any info would be great thanks. just wanna print it off asap.

and alex you will have your wheels back end of this week lol

Well I knew it had to happen, not long ago I got breath tested at a booze bus and had two other cops standing behind the car checking it out, two week later as a result I recieved an EPA notice in the mail for having a loud exhaust. so I added a muffler.

This Friday I went through a booze bus and was told to park the car so they could take a look over it, I was asked what mods have I done to the car (which has been many, dumb I know but as a new owner I really didn't know at the time that the mods where illegal and the workshop didn't inform me as such) instead I went through a long list of what I've done in resent times to demodifiy the car, I have now owned it for 6 years, I only got pinged for that frigging muffler that I added for it being to low, he also got me for the tinted windows, I was told that if I got the two side windows "only" retinted to a legal shade that I should be ok but I'm not to sure about that one.

Now with a yellow canary in hand and a visit to the RTA pending, can I expect a more thorough inspection of the car other than what was written on his report, exhaust and windows?

They only check what is on the form.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever received demerit points in conjunction with a defect? I'm on an option notice and, not speeding is easy enough...dodging defects is another thing altogether :/

Yes aware of these (Vicroads love to send you a little pamphlet each time you get some) but, as we know, the constabulary have been known to issue fines at their discretion along with the NOU or defect...so curious if people have ever received accompanying demerit points, e.g. could be written down as careless driving if the vehicle is too low etc.

if you were driving carelessley and thats the primary offence you'd maybe get a defect on top of it but not the other way round. Police are 'generally' decent unless your a c0ck to them

Does anyone know; what are your rights when a police officer asks you to follow them to some warehouse/carpark where they test your car? (operation killerwatt)

Do you have to follow them or can you refuse?

I was told that you don't have to go with them but I'm not sure if I would be game enough to say "sorry officer but I'm not following you" lol.

Technically, you haven't done anything wrong. They have an assumption about your car etc. I'm sure someone on here can advise.