SAU Community

Will 17"r33 Rims Fit Stagea? (off Set)

bluesky4me

I am pretty sure that the R33 GTR wheels (forged BBS) have the right offsets +35 for the stagea, and are a straight swap. Not sure about other standard type rims though, although I would assume that they have a similar offset too.

I run 17x8" +35 rims on my S2. the fronts are inside the guards by about half an inch,the rears by about a 1/4". the car is lowered with coilovers,and has castor rods up front,and camber arms in the rear,set to 1.25deg neg.

I test fitted some R33 GTR wheels (17x9" +30) back when I still had std suspension and they were outside the rear guards by about half an inch. maybe with excessive rear camber on the rear and some flaring they'd fit under,but not with std gear.

as long as you don't go crazy,and get equal widths front and rear,I doubt you'll have any dramas.

Justin...

Yep, the R33 GTR wheels fit, SydneyKid has a set on his Stagea and it looks HOT!!!

33 and 34 GTR factory wheels are 9 inch wide with a +30 offset

The rear fits but they are right on the body line and actually look too far out

Don't run wider than a 245 tyre on the rims and you will need to roll the rear guards to clear if you lower the car too far

I have 34 GTR wheels and I can say I am not totally happy with the fit.

If you find a set of aftermarket GTR wheels, most have a smaller offset like +20 to +10. These will sit out even further

Best stick with a 9 inch +35 (may need to check strut clearance of front) or go to a smaller width of 8 or 8.5.

The attached calculator is your best friend

http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html

use a 215 40 tire on a 9 inch wide wheel.

if your going low

because that's safe working practice... :)

235's are stretched on a 9" rim,and you want to run even narrower? recommended width for a 9" rim is 255. 215 is a bit narrow. not everything the japanese do is a good idea.

Justin...

so your saying a 215 40 on a 17x9 is a bad idea?

then im screwed

385278339_b9792891c3.jpg

thats a 17x9 with a 215/40 on it

its common pratice

Ive drifted on teh same setup multiple times on the 180

Please dont say somsething isnt safe when you really dont know if it is or not and just listen to other people

Fat tires on small rims looks retarded IMO.

and its not functional, it will handle like slop, youw ill have tons of sidewall flex while you turn, greatly diminishing the feeing of your car, and delayed inputs.

stretching not only looks good, but serves a performance advantage

a 255 looks like a ballon.

Not to mention the fact that if you are unlucky enough to clip a kerb, the tyre side wall hitting is a lot less damaging than the rim lip, and a lot less likely to dent the rim which can lead to a bead popping off unexpectedly. Not safe in any language.

I don't know huh? ok,keep thinking that if you like. who works on cars and also fits tyres for a living out of the two of us? I know I DO,and have the licenses to prove it. do you?

try finding ANY tyre fitter or manufacturer who will endorse what you've said. you'll be looking for a LONG time.

the japanese have a VERY loose grip on the concept of safety. the state of their circuits and the way they run events is enough evidence of that,even without looking at the cars themselves. just because it's common practice there,doesn't mean it's a good idea. they'll wake up eventually. that,or natural selection will do it for them.

I've run 235's on 9" wide rims before,and that's as far as I'd be willing to stretch a tyre. going down another 20mm is ludicrous,when the recommended width is 255.

and while we're at it,a 215/40/R17 is smaller than the original rolling diameter by a good half an inch,so your speedo is out as well.

and if your stagea is 4wd,you're slowly burning out you transfer case with the different front and rear rolling diameters of your staggered size setup.

way to go dude,you're a pioneer. keep a wrecker's number handy,you'll be neding one soon.

Justin...

Edited by fergo308

Not to mention the fact that if you are unlucky enough to clip a kerb, the tyre side wall hitting is a lot less damaging than the rim lip, and a lot less likely to dent the rim which can lead to a bead popping off unexpectedly. Not safe in any language.

so learn how do drive and dont hit a curb?!?

ive never curbed a wheel since 16 and im 22

I don't know huh? ok,keep thinking that if you like. who works on cars and also fits tyres for a living out of the two of us? I know I DO,and have the licenses to prove it. do you?

try finding ANY tyre fitter or manufacturer who will endorse what you've said. you'll be looking for a LONG time.

the japanese have a VERY loose grip on the concept of safety. the state of their circuits and the way they run events is enough evidence of that,even without looking at the cars themselves. just because it's common practice there,doesn't mean it's a good idea. they'll wake up eventually. that,or natural selection will do it for them.

I've run 235's on 9" wide rims before,and that's as far as I'd be willing to stretch a tyre. going down another 20mm is ludicrous,when the recommended width is 255.

and while we're at it,a 215/40/R17 is smaller than the original rolling diameter by a good half an inch,so your speedo is out as well.

and if your stagea is 4wd,you're slowly burning out you transfer case with the different front and rear rolling diameters of your staggered size setup.

way to go dude,you're a pioneer. keep a wrecker's number handy,you'll be neding one soon.

Justin...

well, a transfer case MIGHT burn out ya know, if i had a front driveshaft. but thats besides the point.

the fact is, its been proven a 215 on a 9 is no problem by many people

hell ive put a 215/45 on an 18x10.

no problems

we shall see , in the next three years i own my stagea (ill sell it in 2010) if i have a tire unseat a bead, then ill give someone my GTR brakes.

and a license only means that, a piece of paper.

I have done a lot of stuff, and because i don't do it as a profession (but instead i work on jet engines) i haven't needed to get the licenses.

And a manufacturer says stuff isnt safe becuase of idiots that do stupid things.

a 215 on a 9" wheels is hardly bad at all.

ive seen worse

like a 195 on a 9

thats crazy.