SAU Community

Thermo Fan

cruzin33

Nice, looks like I'll be getting one of these babies too then, will probably fit it when I go to install my FMIC. Andrew, did you get the 14' or the 16'? I'm thinking of getting the 16' should give a little better air flow

Ah awesome, all I wanted to hear, looks like I'll be getting one of these babies then. Take it you haven't installed it yet? Just wanted to get a rough idea of how loud they are, couldn't imagine them being much worse than the stock ones however

nah I haven't yet mate .... hoping to in the next few weeks (is part of a larger upgrade, so I need a free and clear weekend to do it all). But given the curved blade design I take it it is quieter than the stock fan. Also, I bought a Pivot oil and water temp controller, so I can manually adjust what temperature range the fan comes on. So unlike the stock fan which runs all the time, my fans will stay off until the water tamp is around 90 degrees, which helps everything warm up quicker (and results in less noise overall)

The Pivot cost me around $200 delivered, but apparently retail for $300. I bought it on special from performance-wise - he was good to deal with (I bought an HDi EBC and HKS wastegate actuator off him too). It is a cool little gadget, and since the Pivot displays water and oil temp digitally, it allows me to convert my existing AutoMeter oil temp gauge into a trans temp gauge, and I am replacing my AutoMeter water temp gauge with a smoked face AFR gauge.

I will post a post up tonight about my new carbon face gauge install, but here is a sneak peak with the Pivot on the top left hand side. I will get some better pics in the daylight too.

lightson.jpg

closerflash.jpg

Nice buddy, looks the goods, definitely might have to get one of those Pivot controllers. Where does the unit take the readings from? Existing thermal diodes or do you have to install these yourself?

The unit includes an oil temp sensor/probe, and is intended to wire into the ecu to get water temp (but has provision for you to add a water sensor probe like I already have). I am not confident at all the in the ECU water temp sensor, since all Nissans tend to sit on warm on the oem gauge and then hit boiling hot within 1 seconds and nothing inbetween, meanwhile you fry your engine. Not sure if it would accurate or not, but I prefer the hardware method anyhow - and since I already have an in-line water temp orble in the radiator hose I will keep it.

Awesome, that's what I was worried about too, I've noticed the same problem as you have so that's definitely an added bonus. Will have to track on down! Will be interested to see your dash install pics when you post them up!

• 4 months later...

could you guys give an update as to how happy you've been with these thermo's having had them installed a little while? A few questions;

What gauge wiring did you use?

Did you have any issues with the alternator?

Did you upgrade the wiring to the alternator?

I purchased a pivot fan controller and 2 spal high flow 12" fans rated at 1630cfm each. with one turned on, it runs at 90 degrees water temp and the alternator handles it no probs.

With 2 turned on it runs at 79 degrees, but the load on the alternator goes from being constant 14 degrees, and dipping down to low 12's at bumper to bumper traffic on my Power FC readout. This is 10 gauge wiring going through a 30 amp relay each fan. I have purchased some 4 gauge wiring to try as a fix, but am wondering if it's just a case of the 80 amp alternator not being good enough?

Edited by silman

I was very happy with my 14inch thermo but since my motor is getting forged and aiming for some big power iv since got another 14inch fan but to fit 2 fans in i hade to make some custom s/s brackets with around 20mm over hang eash side.

• 4 months later...

"Unsure about the 33's but twins won't fit the 32's due to the a/c receiver dryer."

i know some one who has twin thermo's and they work a treat in a R32 keep the thing cool as ice!

is it possible to take out the auxilory fan off the rb25det and just run thermo's?

pro's? con's?

hame