SAU Community

Show Us Your Gear, And Your First Project/weld

bLaQ.bOi

Post a pic of your first ever welds/projects/anything related! even equipment

so ive only started welding yesterday and heres my first ever weld!

ive started a project, in the final staged of completion!

(top secret)

ok so heres a pic of the first ever job/project i helped (in a little way to make)

Tis a gigantic thing that holds stuff (cyionide i think it was) some chemical place... was sposed to hold a gignatic amount of psi aswell... 35 thousand? if i remember correctly... ne ways it was f**king massive!

dsc00030oq6.jpg

And a pic of the first weld ive done... (i didnt use any wire just burning the steel plain)

dsc00041hj4.jpg

pics of my gear soon to come (noob shit... cept they gave me this l33t helmet that turns dark as soon as the arc "arcs up")

• 2 weeks later...

have to say my Alloy welding hasnt improved too much lol

Will, would you say that the Thick alloy of those truck bull bars is alot easier to work than a smaller 2mm sheet of alloy? are they done with multiple passes to increase the penetration of the welds?

Chris, Welding 2mm and such is ok its just you have to move/step faster thats what ive learnt lol :)

but welding thicker material is a bit easier

the channel of the bull bar is 12mm thick and the uprights/posts are 8mm thick

i just chew it in with a chopper(to V it out) and crank the heat

yep Single fillet because its all for appearance so it looks nice and neat

ive seen bull bars made from other places and they do a root run then they do a big weave ontop and it looks so dodgy though it has less chance to crack

Single fillet done properly can be just as effective and a poor 2/3 run

Pictures 2 and 3 where over head weld using 6mm to 6mm plate

work at good ole stoodleys hey? I work at retractable tarps at brendale. Incase you dont know we have supplied tarps to you guys and still do i believe. The welding on your bodies is good, very neat and tidy...however your bodies are annoying to fit tarps to.

I aint got no photos with me atm of what ive welded haha.

work at good ole stoodleys hey? I work at retractable tarps at brendale. Incase you dont know we have supplied tarps to you guys and still do i believe. The welding on your bodies is good, very neat and tidy...however your bodies are annoying to fit tarps to.

I aint got no photos with me atm of what ive welded haha.

Wow small world lol

ta about welding on bodies, but i dont get to do that stuff yet im a bull bar maker at the moment ;) in only 2nd year apprentice :rofl:

though one day ill have my chance to make a body :laugh:

yeah i agree thicker the material the easier it is to weld i work at webster twin fisher i build boats all day the toughest weld ive done is proberly 1mm aluminium and aint easy ill post some pics when get the camera ive done alot of mod 4 the 32 ill post them up in couple days c waht u think

Wow small world lol

ta about welding on bodies, but i dont get to do that stuff yet im a bull bar maker at the moment :) in only 2nd year apprentice :(

though one day ill have my chance to make a body :)

yes it is a small world i quit being a mechanic 4 a couple of yrs and went and worked at gibson tru bodies at brendale building all the tipper trays for the pine shire council ( as they had the contract to do them)

and it was fun doin this stuff from fixing cars

the only thing i hate doin was welding the galvnised rope rails up

for those who dont like welding thinner metal, a bloke my dad knows is a welder/teacher by trade, and some guy he worked with cut up and welded bits of a coke can to show off.... wish i saw it, sounds damn impressive

• 2 weeks later...