SAU Community

I Need Help With My Wireless Adsl Router Please!

insu

Ok here's the set-up:

I have cable internet. The cable internet modem is ethernet based.

I bought a D-link wireless router which is plugged in between the modem and the main computer.

The main computer continues to run fine.

I've run the disc that came with the wireless router and follow all the steps which setup the wireless network which is all sweet.

Now here's the tricky part.

My laptop has wireless built in, I can find the wireless network and I can connect to it. In my network connections it says: Connected, signal strength good etc, 54mps.

But I can't access the internet.

I've already tried troubleshooting,

I've tried:

Entering the MAC address into the config settings when connecting to the wireless network. Doesn't work.

Tried turning on the 128bit WEP key and entering that into the laptop conecting to the network. Doesn't work.

I had a dial-up account on the laptop which I thought might have been interfering with the browser conecting to the net, so it's deleted but it still doesn't work.

I've also tried pinging a few sites through msdos but that doesn't work.

I've also tried turning off my firewall, and that doesn't work.

Does anyone know what i'm missing here? I'm about ready to chuck the router out the window,

any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Insu

Edited by insu

Mate I worked for Bigpond doing wireless broadband tech support...

should be able to help u out....send me a pm of exactly what doesnt work and what uve tried

prefer ur config settings for network connections (TCP/IP) and try to get ur primary/secondary server addresses from ur service provider

Most likely u have to configure ur modem or could jus be ur firewall/antivirus

have u tried turnin the antivirus off and rebooting ur modem a few times...that sometimes resolves internet browsing issues

dont chuck the router as it is a config issue on ur laptop...centrino has been proved to be a hopeless wireless connector

cheers

Edited by AARR34

Thanks guys.

AARR34, I'm actually at my girlfriends atm. When I get home next I'll get all the details/settings etc and post them too you.

I appreciate all the help!

-Tom

The DLink routers have DHCP enabled by default. So you should have a LAN IP address.

Do IPCONFIG /ALL in dos and see what you get. You will most likely have 10.0.0.something. Post up the results of what this shows...

your gateway should be the ip address of the router as should your primary dns. Your secondary dns may be blank, or it might be your ISP's DNS server.

Anyway, on to testing.

from IP CONFIG, write down your DEFAULT GATEWAY.

then in dos, type PING <whatever your default gateway was> eg. PING 10.0.0.1

See if that brings up 4 replies.

If it does:

Type in PING WWW.GOOGLE.COM.AU

That will say "Pinging www.l.google.com [66.102.7.99]" or something similar. See if you get 4 replies from that.

If it doesn't:

Open the router config page, and check in the wireless security area for MAC ADDRESS FILTERING, or something to that effect. MAC filtering will let you connect to the wireless network, but if you do not have it configured properly, then it will not let you send any data. So disable it for now.

See how you go with that for now... Let me know if you dont understand something. Oh, and to get to dos: Click on your Start Button -> Choose RUN -> type in "cmd" (no quotes) and press enter.

First thing to do is disbale all anitvirus and all firewalls. Then check ipconfig /all through dos.

Agreed,

thats the first thing u should try then go about disabling MAC address filtering and so on.....

speaking from experience, its never an issue with the actual router. I beleive it may jus be the centrino or ur firewall. all this primary, secondary servers and DNS stuff has nothin to do with it really...As He said in his firs post the router is online and his PC can browse no probs...

personally I would just buy a Netgear wireless adapter rather than using the internal centrino...i know some people may disagree as u get that sometimes, but centrino is really not that special...they put it in for customers to believe they have "magical" wireless internet but really its just an internal wireless adapter...thart rarely works

Also how far is the laptop from the router...try moving closer to it and moving around a bit...fridges, microwaves, double brick layer walls, cordless phones, etc all interfere with the wireless connection so have a go with that...

let us know if it still doesnt work

cheers

CISCO = Corporate, and is rarely needed in domestic installations.

As for centrino wireless, the main problem/culprite is not the hardware, but infact the INtel Wireless Software bundled with it. Go into services by right clicking my computer and then clicking manage. Click on services and find the Intel Wireless service. Disbale it, and then simply let Windows manage your wireless device.

Like stated before, it is rarely a hardware issue, and 95% of the time in my experience it ends up being configuration, or lack of.

My 2 cents.

Actually 2 words....

"CISCO" & "$$MONEY$$" :O

lol @ aARR34 :happy:

I already worked it out before i finished reading his post...

I worked at bigpond with aarrr.. so u can rest assured my creds when u try this.

You have done ok and entered the WEP key, which you need to do. But in windows Wireless config. there is a section on the Advanced screen on the config page. You need to disable IEEE. Uncheck that checkbox and you will be online :laugh:

so thats. Network connections/ Rightclick on your wireless connection and hit properties/ in the bbox you will see your configured connection. click on it, then select properties. you will have a general tab, Wireless connection, and advanced. click on advanced and remove the IEEE check box tick. then click OK.

Now wait a minute, it will refresh the conneciton, then give it another go, also make sure you have entered the WEPKEY correctly, Or you will not recieve an IP address.

If this does not work PM ME.

Cheers,

- Dale.

Edited by silverbulletR33

OK if you have messed around with the Mac filtering it may not work, the Default wizards do not Enable Mac Filtering. So this is not advised Unless you knwo what you are doing. If you have done this and my previous remarks have not worked, you may need to reset your modem and start again, with the wizard, then do what i said to your Centrino laptop. This [uL]WILL[/uL] get you online :happy:

Ok here's the set-up:

I have cable internet. The cable internet modem is ethernet based.

I bought a D-link wireless router which is plugged in between the modem and the main computer.

The main computer continues to run fine.

I've run the disc that came with the wireless router and follow all the steps which setup the wireless network which is all sweet.

Now here's the tricky part.

My laptop has wireless built in, I can find the wireless network and I can connect to it. In my network connections it says: Connected, signal strength good etc, 54mps.

But I can't access the internet.

I've already tried troubleshooting,

I've tried:

Entering the MAC address into the config settings when connecting to the wireless network. Doesn't work.

Tried turning on the 128bit WEP key and entering that into the laptop conecting to the network. Doesn't work.

I had a dial-up account on the laptop which I thought might have been interfering with the browser conecting to the net, so it's deleted but it still doesn't work.

I've also tried pinging a few sites through msdos but that doesn't work.

I've also tried turning off my firewall, and that doesn't work.

Does anyone know what i'm missing here? I'm about ready to chuck the router out the window,

any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Insu

Very simple thing to do:

1) Check that your laptop is connected to the right wireless router

2) check that you have not set an IP address on the wireless card (this rogers the laptop chance in getting a dynamic IP from the wireless router).

Try these and see how you go. With the suggestion of turning off firewall/antivirus... Firewall maybe (should be able to look into the firewall logs to see if any traffic is being blocked on the wireless network's subnet range) but not antivirus. Other things you can check too on your DLINK router is to make sure you laptop is visible within the router's config.