SAU Community

89 R32 Gtst Running Probs.... Plz Help Desperate!

BOOSTA

To SAU'ers, I NEED HELP DESPERATELY???? :)

*My car when i try to start my car it wont start, turn ignition but no turning over try again and it might start or otherwise turn turbo timer off and it might start?,when it does start it sounds like its on 3cyls.... barely turning over for like 6secs, then it will fire up and idle at 1000rpm like normal.

(Battery tested 100% ok and is only 4mnths old, and Alternator charges perfect too).

*When idling it sounds like it hunts / stutters/ misses? idle alil erratic (drops maybe from 700 to 650 then back to 700)

*It uses alot of fuel, i dont know how much per kilometre but to drive from mtgravatt to the city and back uses nearly half a tank.

*When accelerating the car doesnt blow any black smoke out the back of the exhaust like alot of skylines i've seen, but when u take ur foot off the accelerator to slow down or change gear. The car backfires / pops alot and blipping the throttle can make it backfire / pop aswell.

*The hicas light started flicking on and off like 2times a day and it killed the power to my headunit aswell when it happens. This has caused the car to stall twice aswell but thought maybe it was to do with my amp/sub install so i disconnected the wiring etc and waiting to see if it happens again.

My Car Specs

1989 R32 GTST Coupe

6 x New NGK Iridiums (for standard boost)

HKS Turbo Timer (came with car from japan)

HKS Pod Filter

Autometre BOOST gauge (Mechanical)

Standard BOOST (spikes to 10/11psi)

Standard BOV

Standard Sidemount intercooler

BEE-R Catback Exhaust

Hiflow Cat

Standard Dump etc

ANY HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED

QLD SAUER

[ BOOSTA ] aka PETE :)

Edited by BOOSTA

Sounds like the ECU is in limp home mode. What have you been doing recently under the bonnet recently? Knocked the AFM plug perhaps?

Anyone around your area got a consult reader? That will enable you to check the sensors and identify the problem.

:P cheers :kiss:

Sydneykid, thankyou for the fast reply....

Whats the limp home mode? and whats a consult reader?

I havent really touched under the bonnet in awhile only to change the plugs and clean the AFM with a electrical contact cleaner? but it was all pluged back in. The only thing i have noticed was the plugs that plug into the coil packs ( the yellow plastic holders inside that hold the 3 wires have started to crumble )

Could this possibly cause any of the problems?

I just dont understand the reason when u accelerate it seems fine and quick but yet no rich puff of black smoke ever.... i've never had any of that even when i bought the car 9mnths ago?

Thanks BOOSTA (pete)

Thanks Waz, I'll go and recheck the afm plug now.....

Are standard 32 bovs quite loud? a police officer pulled my partner over and said my standard bov sounded too loud like aftermarket and told her it had to be removed :S

cheers Pete (BOOSTA)

Thanks Waz, I'll go and recheck the afm plug now.....

Are standard 32 bovs quite loud? a police officer pulled my partner over and said my standard bov sounded too loud like aftermarket and told her it had to be removed :S

cheers Pete (BOOSTA)

Your standard plumb back bov needs to be removed? Thats the most ridiculas thing ive ever heard.

yeah i know.... i was looking at her like what the hell, how do you remove a standard item and replace it with what? a bag of potato chips?

Just wish i could get this car sorted... the car pops and backfires every gear change ! its damn annoying and embarassing!

mine does that too....

havnt fixed it yet....

getting it retuned shortly tho...

ive replaced

coils, plugs, cleaned AFM.

yet to change 02 sensor...thats comming soon...

but mine runs rough all the time, changing gears, down shifting etc.....

ever since i had a major service done, perhaps the timing is out...

dont know.

yeah it sucks huh,

The thing that confuses me is the car doesnt stutter or miss when u put power down, only when it idles does it miss/ irregular idle? it pops and backfires when u change gears or come off the accelerator? I'm confused as all buggery. I dont know what to do,

when I get some more money then i'll prob take it somewhere but things are pretty tight for me at the moment. So any help to try and eliminate stuff is great for me.

cheers Pete

ps.. good luck with trying to sort out ur car JVP

Just came back from checking AFM, unplugging it and cleaning and replugging back in and still no difference. The plug clicks in place and still no difference, the car still idles like crap nearly stalling.

I checked the fuel pump and the lines, there pulsing away with fuel, check the ecu and 55 code came up ( no malfunctions ).

Im kinda empty for ideas.

I have 2 sensors in my exhaust, 1 near the dump pipe and then another near the cat? is that all normal?

LOL Plz help us!!!

Cheers Pete (BOOSTA)

To SAU'ers, I NEED HELP DESPERATELY???? :D

*The hicas light started flicking on and off like 2times a day and it killed the power to my headunit aswell when it happens. This has caused the car to stall twice aswell but thought maybe it was to do with my amp/sub install so i disconnected the wiring etc and waiting to see if it happens again.

Hey mate, its an outside chance but do you have an aftermarket steering wheel fitted???? mine came over from japan with a nardi wheel on it which i was most pleased about, but after a while my hicas light started coming on at random times mostly when my speed was over about 80km. It turned out to be the hicas sensors in the steering colum had moved around... i imagine when the aftermarket wheel was installed. Basically what this was doing was telling the computer the wrong signals for the hicas to work and it seemed the faster you went the computer figured that the readings it was getting must have been bullsh%$t and put on the hicas light. If its not this it could well be that the fluid in the hicas resovour (damn i need spell check) is low.

just my 2cents ... hope it helps :D

Hey Guys

Jvp and Sanger thankyou for trying to help me out, I have a standard steering wheel and i dont think its ever had a aftermarket wheel??

But i've had to take off the interior plastics around the steering wheel and dash as my odometer has stuffed itself and then where the plastic connects to the speedo cable its all cracked there too.

But when i took the plastics off, i noticed alot of unplugged wires and connectors, theres alot of wires going to fuses and connectors etc????

I have a HKS turbo timer and theres wires to that and other stuff aswell.

Im really starting to hate this car.... actually thinking of just getting rid of it. I cant afford time at a mechanics as the money I had saved up I gave to my parents to help them out with stuff. If I had the money I'd take it a workshop but when u pay $260 a week rent and you earn $480 p/w it just doesnt leave much for toys.

Thanks anyways guys

I'll just have to either try and sort it out somehow or sell it as is!

Cheers BOOSTA (pete)

No worries mate... i know how you feel my car has a few problems at the moment and you just feel like selling it when its not working.... But when they are running well it makes you remember why you bought one in the first place!!!!! hope you can sort it out!!!

thanks sanger.... yeah i know how much i'd miss the car when its gone but I just am stuck in a hole atm.... I mean when you go for a drive these cars just make you forget about all your worries and just think about the drive.

I dont mind most problems its just come at the worst possible time!

Cheers BOOSTA (Pete)

hey colbs,

Unfortunately Im just not that well known in the SAU qld (Brisbane) circle as i came from the old skool group of which many have left... I dont think many people would wanna give a stranger there ecu to borrow :laugh:

Cheers BOOSTA (Pete)