SAU Community

Problem Fitting New 18" Mags To R33

Hi Guys,

My first post here so any help would be much appreciated.

I recently bought a 2 door Series2 R33 GTS-T and thought of getting some new rims for it. So like many would do, I headed to EBay and bought a set of second hand 18" wheels that were on an R33 Skyline thinking that they'll definitly fit my car.

post-35674-1172730601.jpg

So when I took them home and fitted them to my car, I met a strange problem. The nuts won't screw in all the way. I mean they do go in all the way and hold the wheel in tight but half of the nut is sticking out from the stud. So it's like only half of the nut is screwed in to the stud. Like my studs are too short or something. Now as far as I know thats not only a defect, it is also very dangerous so I was left with no choice but to remove the wheels.

Now I don't really know what could be the cause for that problem. Is it the offset? Coz the offset on these wheels is 40mm (or so I've been told) and I think that should fit on an R33 fine. If it is the offset what's the offset range that would fit easliy on an R33?

If it's got nuthin to do with the offset, then what the hell is it :ninja: ?? Is it really that the studs are too short?? And if so what is the measurment on the wheel from which I can distiguish if my studs would be long enough for them or no??

As you can tell I'm really confused so please if any one has any idea of what is going on here please post up as I'm prettty desperate :)

Edited by Tony-R33

Assuming your wheel nuts are seating against the rim properly i'd say the rims just have a very thick centre section. How deep are your wheel nuts? And how much thread is being taken up by the nut? If it's less than about 10mm consider longer studs.

• 3 weeks later...

When I went to the tyre shop to change over to my old wheels, the guy told me that the problem is the nuts themselves. He said theyr not the right nuts for these wheels. Does that sound like a it makes sence? Coz if I get smaller nuts then thats not gonna change much of how much thread the stud is gonna have holding it is it?

your stud length is the same regardless of whatever wheel u put on...the guy at the tyre shop is right..u need longer thread nuts. If you bring it to the tyre shop they should be able to find u some nuts that fit.

Some wheels do require special/specific nuts, so i'd let the Tyre guy sort you out. Also ask the guy if you need "Hub Rings", as most wheels do.

Make sure that the wheels do not have spacers, behind them to clear the calipers, as these are illegal.