SAU Community

R32 Gtr No Oil Pressure?

jwah

I just took my car for a bit of a thrash and when i got home i noticed the oil pressure light was on, but the oil level was fine and the engine didnt have any bad noises or anything. I was thinking that the gauge might be stuffed because it was the factory one, or maybe the oil pump is stuffed and i turned the car off in time but yeah i dunno. I dont really trust the factory guage but yeah has anyone had this problem?

Cheers

I just took my car for a bit of a thrash and when i got home i noticed the oil pressure light was on, but the oil level was fine and the engine didnt have any bad noises or anything. I was thinking that the gauge might be stuffed because it was the factory one, or maybe the oil pump is stuffed and i turned the car off in time but yeah i dunno. I dont really trust the factory guage but yeah has anyone had this problem?

Cheers

Hope it wasnt the oil pump. How long was the light on? Im in the middle of rebuild after my oil pump failed

The pressure light is a more reliable indicator than the stock gauge (pressure reading). In your case I'd recommend not driving the car and keep engine running to a minimum until you can connect up a reliable (known working) mechanical pressure gauge to check the actual oil pressure (or none........).

Thanks for the replies. Im not sure how long the light was on, i dont think it was on for long at all otherwise i would have noticed it. Im just wondering is the main reason for no oil pressure be the oil pump failing? Because i can just buy another one and put that in? Or is there some other reasons i should also look at. Because the engine sounded fine no death rattles or anything. Im going to wait til its cold then start it and see if there is pressure. Thanks

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. Im not sure how long the light was on, i dont think it was on for long at all otherwise i would have noticed it. Im just wondering is the main reason for no oil pressure be the oil pump failing? Because i can just buy another one and put that in? Or is there some other reasons i should also look at. Because the engine sounded fine no death rattles or anything. Im going to wait til its cold then start it and see if there is pressure. Thanks

Cheers

for your sake i hope its just sender problem but it is common thing for the oil pump to fail on that model. Mine was probably only on for 15 seconds before i noticed and found it did alot of damage after i pulled it down. But i was up it when it hapened.

for your sake i hope its just sender problem but it is common thing for the oil pump to fail on that model. Mine was probably only on for 15 seconds before i noticed and found it did alot of damage after i pulled it down. But i was up it when it hapened.

Yeah i was sitting in the garage and noticed it. But i was lookin at the dial not long before that and didnt notice anything. The engine sounded fine, but i shut it off straight away. I am hoping it is a sender problem, but yeah. Kinda a bummer i guess.

• 1 month later...
Arent the pressure light and sender switch different?

In which case, the light being on is bad, very bad.

My gauge reads 0, but my oil pressure light isnt on. When you are talking about the oil pressure light, is it the little light just below the oil pressure gauge?

I got a similar problem as well. When I am driving the car, the oil pressure does up and down quite a bit. When I am driving the car hard, the oil pressure closes to the max sometimes. But when I stopped the car in front of traffic light for 30seconds or less, the oil pressure dropped from the middle to nearly zero and it happened quite a few times. However the oil pressure night never comes on.

Any idea?

The factory gauges are a known early fail item (i guess some 32 GT-Rs are almost 20 now though :) )

Like others have said, test it with a good mech gauge somewhere. If the oil pump is stuffed, your engine most definately would sound like it too by now.

• 1 month later...
0 oil pressure on the gauge without the oil pressure light turning on means its the sender.

oil pressure light on is bad news.

hey,

My stock oil press gauge is at zero and the light is on, but on my greddy oil press gauge the pressure is showing a healty 46psi...should i be worried?

what the person who installed your gauges may have done is remove your standard oil pressure switch and replace it with the aftermarket one (i.e. they didnt use a sandwich plate). therefore the reading of no oil pressure.

have a closer look to see if thats what they have done.

if not, i'd be getting it checked with a mechanical gauge (mechanic screws a mechanical gauge into where the standard oil pressure switch goes).

Can anyone tell me exactly where the oil pressure is taken from, or the oil sender or what it looks like etc?

My new car the gauge is all over the place but like mentioned above if its sitting idle for a minute or so the gauge will drop to zero but the light is not on.

if the lights on but gauge is still reading nominal pressure, give the sender a tap with something solid, should cause the sender to recalibrate itself. This happened to my engine after rebuild...i was like...fu€k... they've forgot to do something, gave the sender a few slight knocks and it came good and hasn't played up since, over 12 months ago now