SAU Community

Wound Back Clocks In Imports

savage GTR

LMAO @ 48000k's for a 1994 car

like I said in an earlier post, I know that my k's were wound back.... I mean 48000k's (which is also what was on my clock when i got it (97 GTS-T)) is so unrealistic.....

103000 is more like it, but even that isn't much for a car that is 13 years old........

so that makes you wonder.....

try and find (if you can actually find one that is still running) a commen door or falcon that is 13 years old with only those amount of k's on the clock..... :wub:

i know of a warehouse that supplies quite a few importers and they dash swap/mods all day long, never trust a import dash 90% are "clocked" if it dont have a service history consider it "clocked"

electronic dash's included... nearly all soarers i saw whislt over there were getting clocked by as much as 100k.

Edited by URAS

as for clocking most auction houses are honest, BUT lot's of car dealers and private sellers taking their cars to auction will do the old wind back BEFORE it goes for it's auction grading, as kms affect the grade and of course they want a higher one to give more chance of a sale. you can't blame the auction yards for that.

then some cars of course are bought by car exporters in japan who will wind them back before export. if you don't have the japanese rego papers, or log books, then just forget the kms. go on the car condition.

^^6 so true best instant way it to check (among others) gear boot and hand brake boot.

see below

post-34927-1173248400.jpg

Edited by URAS

I wasn't to concerned about my clock.

My clock may have been wound back, it had 77,000Km. And the counter did get stuck for a couple of days. But it's all good now :P

Before I bought it I took it for a test drive and looked all over it. It was and still is a very clean car with no probs. I thought about the wound back clocks issue and just figured most imports would be wound back.

So in the end I introduced myself to the import world and bought her.

my car has 150000kms bought it a year ago with 120000kms

off my brother he imported it 5 years ago with 70000kms

and my turbo has been running 14psi for the last 70000kms

it sounds f**ked :ninja:

umm... from what i can tell, didn't they only make V-Spec II's in 1994??

Mines a 94 , 32GTR and was in the last 200 built off the production line.

Its not to hard to find out , all you need is the vin number.

The worst thing about all of this is that 99% of the imports landing on our shores were written of in japan.

If you want to know if your car was , pm me your vin and a mate can find out in a couple of seconds. Warning though, you might not want to hear the answer though.

My GTR had a class of 4 in the japan auctions and I saw the report before it was auctioned so I felt safer about the km's , but my car was still written off over there . You coundnt pick a scratch on it though, and it was owned by one of the guy's working for the car dealer at the auctions . By the way, a white 32GTR was brought over first but got nailed by another car on the boat journey and I still have a copy of the pictures taken of the car in japan.

To put people into a realistic view though,

1, just sit back and think how much you love driving your car and dont be stupid to think that the japanese would be any different.

2, look for residue of 100,000 timing belt service sticker on the rocker cover.

3, look at the condition of the interior, my interior was in twice as good condition as another red 32GTR that I saw at a yard on the corner of north east rd (turismo imports). MY car had 97,000 and this car had 48,000 on its clock, cough cough cough. The guy there said that it was low kays because it was stored in a show room most of the time . cough cough cough. The drivers chair looked like a shag carpet. lol

Instinct told me to stay away from this car. (plus I heard it had gearbox issues.) ( thrashed on a race track more likely)

4, performance shocks means lots of kms done.(I still have orig GTR shockers(complete with gtr stickers on them )) and they are still great.

5, look at the plenum for paint peel. (more boost means more heat which means more paint peel)

6, look for original brake discs . (seen a red 32GTR with non GTR discs in it at a car yard 2 )

Good luck to anyone thinking of buying an import though and hope this helps you with what to watch out for.

I hadent seen any "plain ol" :ninja: 94 gtr's around, and all the information thats easily avalible on the net doesnt say much about production runs... i did find one good page the weekend that i bought my car, listing almost all the runs of VINs and what car/year they corresponded to. but i also got some kind people here on the fourms to FAST my car already =) fast? =P

If it was looking for a car, i'd be insisting on seeing the japanese auction sheets before buying it. Luckily when i decided to buy my car i knew great, trustworthy people in Japan, who found me an awsome car at a fantastic price =)... just have to wait for a ship =(

back to the real point: the japanese auction system is legit as, and seeing the auction sheet for your veichle is still the best way to tell what has happened to it. It just dodgey dealers (both here and in japan) that exploit and perverte the system bringing it into disrepute. there are ways to avoid this, you just have to know what they are and be willing to take the risk and wait for your car to be shipped over

to cut long rants short

1, just sit back and think how much you love driving your car

In my eyes ANY noticable wear on a gearknob, leather, pedals or seats before 150,000km's means the clock has been wound back.

~ 5years ago I test drove a Soarer from an importer. It had 228,000km's on the clock and had only just been received as it was completely filthy. I got back and said, it feels quite tight for 228,000km's. Its in good nick. The bloke replied stupidly... Oh no thats not the real km's on the clock, its only done 60,000km's as the speedo causes the odometer to read high. It was in good nick for 228,000km but it was not a 60,000km car.

A complete Joke.

A 60,000km car regardless of age is and feels near bran spankin new.

My clock could've have been wound back but the condition of the car would say otherwise. Bought it with just over 50K on the clock, which is unlikely for a car of its age, but as Cubes said above... feels and drives like a brand new car. The interior, boot, under bonnet is immaculate and there are no 'real' modifications. It has been in an accident in it's life but not a major one.

A lot of the cars I checked out had around 70-100K on the clock, but the interior & under bonnet looked more than 150K-200K. Basically you'd see the body was good, but the GTS25t sticker is gone (ie respray), the interior is shagged, and under the bonnet is covered in grime. As my Dad would say, you can't make strawberry jam out of pig shit.

Funny Cubes... many years ago I checked out this VL in a yard, rang them and they said 200K, got there and it had 350K on it! Then they said the same story, even with the tag team mate that comes over and says, "yeah VL's had dodgy speedo and go round twice as fast" :P

Edited by Richie33

this isnt new with car dealerships doing the dodgy

a few years back today tonight ( with that hypocrit mcluskey ) did a special on a western suburbs dealership who were buying euro/prestige wrecks from interstate as write offs, doing dodgy crash repairs and then selling the cars

they were done over big time but they are still operating and still selling euro/prstige cars, makes you wonder doesnt it