SAU Community

RB30 Oil pump Vs RB26DETT Oil pump

Originally posted by SteveL

RB30ET also uses upgraded rod bolts.

theres no difference between rods and rod bolts.

when we rebuild these bottoms its common to put say arp bolts in but stock nissan is extremely good.

but most ppl just get em resized then the whole shootin match balanced - rb30s are tough as guts

Originally posted by OVL-747

theres no difference between rods and rod bolts.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I build these engines too, and the VLT r/bolts are definately an upgrade from the NA type. They even have a different PN...but apart from that, I can say the material is superior, having actually tested them in comparison. But as you say rods are identical.

ARP don't make rod bolts for any RB engine. The closest thing they have is VG30DETT bolts. Of course, it's possible to ream out the bolt holes to accept something for another engine (eg we use chev bolts in 2L U series Nissan engines).

It seems to be a standard belief that high power motors need big oil pumps. I have never understood this logic.

The larger capacity oil pumps are only needed to maintain oil pressure at idle. Think about it.

If you have an RB30E, you only need a certain sized pump to stop the oil light coming on at idle. Now if you have an RB30ET the turbo oil flow bleeds off a lot of oil from the engine, so they fit a larger displacement pump.

Same thing with the RB25DE, extra camshaft = more oil needed. RB25DET, bigger again, extra cam plus turbo.

RB26DETT, has two turbos, extra cam, plus oil squirters, so you need a really big oil pump, but only really at slow idle.

Now oil pump flow is proportional to engine RPM, so at say 2,500 RPM even a small oil pump is going to easily provide enough flow and pressure for any situation. The problem really only exists at idle RPM.

So the theory that you need a massive high volume oil pump for that 9,000 RPM racing engine is simply not true, quite the reverse in fact.

But if you are building a street RB30DETT, a big pump would be a very good idea, no matter what the final power rating.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• So, as it turns out, a new wire was the answer I went for, but getting there was not straightforward... Firstly, I'd been told before by shops that had worked on the car that it had some weird factory wiring, and I can now confirm that is true in at least a couple of places. For example....that very purple/white wire that provides IGN power to ECU pin 31.....I traced it out of the ECU loom into a connector high on the nav's A pillar under the dash, where it headed up and out of site across the dash, then back down at driver's A pillar. After trying about 8 different relays I found it coming into the back of the fuse box, and confirmed it was the same wire with a multimeter* (more to follow on that.... So, which fuse is the ECU IGN power connected to in my car?  Very top right, labelled IGN (good), 10A (good), Auto Trans Control (WTF?). It's not impossible it has been f**ked with before, but if so someone removed the pins from the back of the fuse box and moved it somewhere else, noting an AT control fuse would be functionally useless as the car was auto converted to manual long ago. It is not simply a wire cut and joined to the wrong place, both ends of the wire are the same colour just one is in the wrong location (you can see there is an IGN Engine Control fuse in the bottom row 4th from the right. Note, that is the fuse box sticker from my actual car, so either I have the wrong coin holder sticker, someone f**ked with it post factory, or factory sticker does not match the wiring.....whichever option it is just plain weird. Undermining the likelihood of someone having gone to that trouble to move a power feed when everything else in the loom had already been butchered....the fuse next to it IGN 7.5a ABS doesn't even have a wire running to it....so no idea where that fuse is on this car. All strange. But not the problem with my ECU power.
    • New tank clean paint and install complete 🤙
    • I have heard the frenchys kit (with the smaller toyota compressor) performs fantastic. i havent actually gassed my system yet, so cant confirm myself..
    • https://www.efisolutions.com.au/injector-lower-manifold-collars-adapters-r33-a32-y?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjpXb2aLaiAMVYcA8Ah1zkg6JEAQYASABEgJzG_D_BwE
    • correct Ive moved to a r33 oem ball joint - they are actually thicker than alot of the after market and similar