SAU Community

Gear Stick Gets Hot. Is It Normal?

SkyKC

HEy Guys,

Bit a odd question maybe, I got my mech to change Gear box oil and week ago, now when Im driving the gear stick gets a bit hot, some times I think its bit too hot(May be I didnt realize this before changing the oil), Bit concerned.............(The oil he used is Penzoil)

Is this normal? or some thing wrong with the gear box?

Cheers

Chinthana

HEy Guys,

Bit a odd question maybe, I got my mech to change Gear box oil and week ago, now when Im driving the gear stick gets a bit hot, some times I think its bit too hot(May be I didnt realize this before changing the oil), Bit concerned.............(The oil he used is Penzoil)

Is this normal? or some thing wrong with the gear box?

Cheers

Chinthana

erm does the whole gear stick gets hot or just the gear knob?

I had gear oil replaced in auto once. When gear oil is replaced your not ment to drive like bat out of hell for like 1000-2000kms.

Also when I replaced the gear oil, It was getting chewed and resulted in loss of gear oil.

Firstly we put in 4L then I had to add another 2L.

Anyways my point If your gear oil is getting chewed your gear box would heat up and anything connected to it.

If you can check the gear oil level.

my mums EA falcon shifter (auto) gets too hot on the actual steal part that comes up out of the box, and when i say too hot i mean you cant keep your hand on it (well maybe you can if your tough like me :P )

Edited by VB-

When gear oil is replaced your not ment to drive like bat out of hell for like 1000-2000kms.

Rubbish. Gear oil is at its best out of the bottle.

The stick getting hot is normal to a certain extent but common sense should come into play.

Might be worth checking if the gearstick rubber boot is secure. Had a similar problem in my car, lots of heat. Pulled off the shifter surround and none of the screws holding the rubber boot and gaskets were there.

Also depends on what type of gear stick you have?

If you have one off those nasty E-bay quick shifts then it is a solid piece of metal and will get much hotter than normal!. . . . .

No insulation like factory and genuine C's shifter.

Also depends on what type of gear stick you have?

If you have one off those nasty E-bay quick shifts then it is a solid piece of metal and will get much hotter than normal!. . . . .

No insulation like factory and genuine C's shifter.

Thanks Guys. I have a short shifter, not sure what brand though, Will check the oil level soon So looks like this is normal. Anyway its better to check the oil level again.

Let you know

Cheers

Chinthana