SAU Community

The Xenon Unit

hey everyone, just wondering what the actual xenon unit looks like? i have no idea and have done a search but cant find any pictures.. apparently its larger than "normal"

cheers :D

Edited by Brycey

it sa ballast, wiring and a bulb

thats it

my kit is plug and play (not in yet though still shipping)

you plug your stock harness into the HID harness, then it goes from there.

Is yours a Series 2 stagea ? i recently retro fitted mine back to xenon after they were removed during compliance, bought bulbs (factory bulbs are D2R HIDs) and D2R harness, from ebay in USA, then wired them into the ballast which is attached to the back of the headlights. now back to factory stock.

http://www.redhummer.com/myhummer/HID/D2R-HID-35W_bulb.jpg

Edited by chook

For a bit of technical guff - xenon is an inert gas. When you pass a very high voltage through the gas at low pressure, it produces an intense, brilliant flash of light. The colour of the glow is the same as the gas's spectral lines when viewed through a spectroscope. In Xenon's case - blue. Which is why they look blue when coming at you from a distance, as opposed to the bulbs you buy at supercheap which are just a white light shining through blue glass.

Neon is also an inert gas that glows red when you pass electricity through it.

Many camera flashes have xenon gas in a small tube - which is why you need levelling adjusters on the Stagea, because to 'flash' a driver coming in the opposite direction is like setting a camera flash off in their face - not good for visibility. I believe ADR's make them illegal to import as the levelling adjusters aren't automatic.

So all this is to simply explain why it has a ballast like fluro bulbs - to create a high enough voltage charge.

Edited by 3intheBack

Whilst on the topic of Xenon lights, my car will be getting complied in a few days. As they will be replaced, what is the best way to save them? Ie: I want to put them back on after the vehicle is complied so how should i tell the compliance guy to cut the wiring or whatever they do to replace the light? I want to be able to easily just put it back on.

I hope im kind of making sense here?

Whilst on the topic of Xenon lights, my car will be getting complied in a few days. As they will be replaced, what is the best way to save them? Ie: I want to put them back on after the vehicle is complied so how should i tell the compliance guy to cut the wiring or whatever they do to replace the light? I want to be able to easily just put it back on.

I hope im kind of making sense here?

just tell them that you want to ise the xenons after the compliance. ask them to cut the wire properly so that you can rewire it back easily. i think a few guys here have done it before.

• 2 months later...

"because to 'flash' a driver coming in the opposite direction is like setting a camera flash off in their face - not good for visibility."

-Just to correct you on this point, the high beams are in the grill and normal hb3 12v 60w globes, the xenons dont go off like a camera flash they stay at the same luminosity.

-I dont believe they are illegal either, looking at an an 'old' book with a roadwothy section says 'when the lights are dipped, the top of the higher intensity portion of the light at a distance of 7.6m must not be higher that the centre of the lamp.' other than that is says they should have an effective range of 25m and dip toward the left.

Check the vic/qld/nsw...roads website or go into the office, they should have up to date info, go find out the legal stuff from the correct source not by what you are simply told.

So i guess if the manual adjustment of these is not set outside of those stipulations and shining in the face of an oncoming driver, they should be fine.

I've seen them on a few r34's, stagea's including my own which have been complianced fairly recently in vic.

May I suggest people have been mislead, and a few mechanics got a free xenon setup.

fwiw factory hid's are 4300k, which is close to the colour of daylight and is the brightest. they look blue generally by the refraction of the light as being cut off by the sheild as it goes through the projector, kinda of like how u make rainbows with glass blocks and lights in highschool science...

as far as i'm aware for it to be legal in australia it has to have auto leveling and headlights washers to clean off any bugs that fly itno them and might cause someone to b blinded, well thats the only reason i can think of. i think police should crack down on hid kits as the bulbs dont sit correctly in the housing and blind the hell out of oncomming traffic, plus if u look at the light they are putting out it would actully make it harder for htem to see anything, as it makes the bright spots brighter and thats about it.

i have some e46 unit's retrofitted into the 7" lights on my car and haven't had any issues with them from cops going through boose busses etc, but i have them aimed down pretty low so they dont blind people. a hell of an upgrade from sealed beams...now to upgrade the engine :thumbsup:

fwiw factory hid's are 4300k, which is close to the colour of daylight and is the brightest. they look blue generally by the refraction of the light as being cut off by the sheild as it goes through the projector, kinda of like how u make rainbows with glass blocks and lights in highschool science...

as far as i'm aware for it to be legal in australia it has to have auto leveling and headlights washers to clean off any bugs that fly itno them and might cause someone to b blinded, well thats the only reason i can think of. i think police should crack down on hid kits as the bulbs dont sit correctly in the housing and blind the hell out of oncomming traffic, plus if u look at the light they are putting out it would actully make it harder for htem to see anything, as it makes the bright spots brighter and thats about it.

i have some e46 unit's retrofitted into the 7" lights on my car and haven't had any issues with them from cops going through boose busses etc, but i have them aimed down pretty low so they dont blind people. a hell of an upgrade from sealed beams...now to upgrade the engine :thumbsup:

ive never had an issue with the zennons and oncoming traffic and the high beam lights are seperate on the s2 and are halogen to flashing another car isnt a problem

Xenons are illegal .. You need projectors and auto leveling to use them..

Technically all that happens when the remove them is the ballast is removed and the original wires soldered together to get a direct 12v charge and a halogen hole put in..

I just bought new ones yesterday (including new headlights - $400 installed, cheap as!) for the R34 .. Needs to be adjusted but look impressive so far...

great stuff :thumbsup: so yes illegal but everyone has them .. the car comes standard with it so technically its not a mod

Sorry matie no can do .. but imported them from japan nissan

however you can easily do a reconversion .. just need a ballast and xenon light holder and globe .. and a soldering iron .. if u remove the light you will see the soldered wires de-solder these solder the ballast to them open the light remove the halogen lamp and light and replace with xenon.. Id say using a after market item would work fine .. but check out the kit first to work it out

I mean can see why not * I know this is all you have to do as ive compared old to new lights i got :P

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Sorry to dig up an old topic :w00t: My S2 will be on a ship soon ( :turned: ) and I want to save my xenons... this topic showed up most promising in my searching. The compliance guy has basically said that they get butchered, and that it's not possible to install the halogen kit without ruining the xenon setup, basically suggested I should do it myself... so I was just wondering if anyone had any photos (I think someone asked earlier in the thread) of the 'ballast' unit (sounds more like a DC-DC converter?) and globe mounting arrangement, especially of a S2 with the halogen kit installed? Anybody know what hardware I'll need, and where to get it?

Thanks for any pics!

DaveB

Hi all,

Sorry to dig up an old topic :w00t: My S2 will be on a ship soon ( :turned: ) and I want to save my xenons... this topic showed up most promising in my searching. The compliance guy has basically said that they get butchered, and that it's not possible to install the halogen kit without ruining the xenon setup, basically suggested I should do it myself... so I was just wondering if anyone had any photos (I think someone asked earlier in the thread) of the 'ballast' unit (sounds more like a DC-DC converter?) and globe mounting arrangement, especially of a S2 with the halogen kit installed? Anybody know what hardware I'll need, and where to get it?

Thanks for any pics!

DaveB

Why dont you beg to the compliance guy to leave them alone, or at least not to cut the ballast harness, ive known some compliance shops to leave them alone on request. Mine was also butchered, I had to take out the headlight assemblies, buy new bulbs D2R's i think, new bulb harnesses and wire them into the old ballasts. He is lying when he says that they have to be ruined, it is possible to halogenize them without interfering too much with the xenons. At least get him to save your bulbs...or take it to different compliance shop.

If the ballast harness is cut (by compliance), and then re-resoldered (by one of us) would it affect the workings of the unit at all? A few people on here have mentioned once its been cut, it then cannot work again. Can someone shed some light on this? :nyaanyaa:

Cheers

If the ballast harness is cut (by compliance), and then re-resoldered (by one of us) would it affect the workings of the unit at all? A few people on here have mentioned once its been cut, it then cannot work again. Can someone shed some light on this? :rolleyes:

Cheers

mine was cut very close to the ballast, so the 3 wires(+ve, -ve, safety) were unusable. I bought a D2R harness(make sure it has good length wires>10cm), which came with the high voltage wires. I took the ballast lid off and soldered the new wires onto the old, making sure to insulate the join well. The inside of the unit is encased with a silicon/rubber insulation, had to dig some of this out to get to the wires/solder joins, re seal it all with silicon, lid back on with sealant. There is also a safety wire, to prevent the unit operating without the bulbs in place in case you go sticking your finger in to the bulb seat. This needs to be overidden since we are not using the factory harness, i had to earth/or power(high voltage power) this wire ??, cant remember exactly, easy enough to test on the bench, try earthing it firstly then power on this 3rd wire, see which one lights up the bulb (high voltage ! use caution). You then jumper this 3rd wire onto the correct wire, depending on your test results. Of course dont forget to connect the 12v and earth input wires. Has worked brilliantly since. You would be amazed at the difference, just the way NISSAN intended, before i couldnt see S#$& at night.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D2S-D2R-Bul...sspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Philips-D2R...sspagenameZWDVW

Edited by chook
  • Like 1