SAU Community

Advice

Guest MRE

I am about the only QLDler who's drifts, apart from meggala, although I have never seen him attend local drift events. Plenty talk the talk but none walk the walk.

I am a member of the SR20 club who meet once a month for some action at Queensland Raceway.

http://www.autoshop.net.au/ms_gallery.html

Mines the car in the first 2 in the link

I have just finished my 4th or 5th event.

ATM my car only has minor mods, 3" zorst, pod, cold air partion, boost up to 10psi, lowered 35mm Kingsprings and a few other bits and pieces.

My car is also an Auto :P and I am about the only one in the club who has one .

I managed to hold my own against the 180's etc and the shop built cars.

BUT

I really have to push my R33 hard to get it to drift.

I did not realize how hard until the last meet when I got to drive a 180 drift pig straight of the wharf's.

Whilst the engine was almost stock the suspension was fully set up. I was amazed how easy it was to jump in and rattle of a couple of flawless laps.

In mine I rely on getting mid corner drift then carrying it on through the track. The 180 was completely different as with clutch and set up I was able to enter the first corner sideways without much effort.

I am so impressed I would swap my R33 for a well set up 180 atm, I have even tried ;)

I have drifted every car I have ever owned long before I knew it was a sport.

Anyway enough of the dribble.

I now have a few choice's

1. Sell the R33 and get a 180 or Silvia with the right suspension.

2. Set the R33 up a little better, 5 speed, coil overs etc

3. I have been offered through the Club a R32 5speed almost stock for $7000, get that and do it up.

Spending money is a problem as I really don't have much atm, Manual conversion $2000 suspension ?????

My car only cost my $14500 to buy and I am not to worried about the money I have spent so far, around $3000-4000

Looking at the current market, car's similar to mine are fetching around $16000-18000.

Drifting is my passion and I am keen to see QLD's scene get bigger, and join the southern states in comp's.

So anyone have any suggestions, 1/4 mile's, freeway drags are a far second to my passion for drift and track work

• 3 weeks later...

don't foget some of the drift cars arn't driven on the streets that much. buying a purpose built drift car you might not get to drive it that often.

i am a member of the sr20 club and i drift it whenever i get a free sunday to go up with the club, i also attend sprint days.

stephen

Buy a second hand HR31 GTS-X for about 6k,they're out there, then go modding. Good value car, podiums in the last two JMS events....

cheers,

floody

Dave..... have you driven an R32 yet?? I think you would like the way it drives and handles a lot better than your R33.....especially for drifting. $7000 for an R32 sounds good to me. I would seriously consider selling the 33 and getting the 32

• 3 weeks later...

I would sell the r33 and get the r32 or 180. I think the r33 is a little too heavy to drift, like the GTRs. You really need a lighter car, and the silvia series are supposed to be the "classic" drifter. But the r32 I've heard is also good cos it's lighter. Most drift cars I suspect would use lots of negative camber and rock hard coil over suspension? I don't think that's really useable as a daily driver, so there would have to be a compromise.

• 3 weeks later...

Prestige motorsport has PLENTY of nice drift cars in stock.. very cheap too :P if you want to REALLY drift.. get a ae86 with a 4AGTE (1.6L turbo.. yes, 1.6l turbo :D) for about $8000 (non turbo fully worked, and turbo it for the other few grand that you have spare from the sale of the 33 :( Then you can REALLY dooooorriiiiffttt....

Or get a R31 GTS-X for under 10k, and mod that thing, they can run into the 12's pretty easily with the right mods..

Dave - lukes car (abu53) the gunmetal 32, with the bilstien coilovers and otherwise stock running gear, wheels included, it slides easily and smoothly. Get the ass end out, and flick it back the other way, theres no real body roll, just a smooth slide, ive never felt a 33 act like that, its fantastic.

Go an old 180 with SR20/R32 + drift suspension, fmic and basic power upgrades. Would suit your lunatic attitude more than a semi stock auto 33 :D

No LSD = no dry drift for me :D

You are right, lots of dreamers/talk, noone actually does it, hard to fill up a skidpan day.....

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by MRE

I am about the only QLDler who's drifts, apart from meggala, although I have never seen him attend local drift events. Plenty talk the talk but none walk the walk.

LOL it's a hell of a drive from Melbourne for him, he'd be drifting the whole way too and would need several sets of tyres. :uh-huh:

(nothing like reading the fine print eh? :bahaha: )