SAU Community

Making Your Stagea A Fuel Miser

groonsnout

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't think its got anything to do with which series you got... I get on average 390-450 per tank.

I also did Adelaide to Perth when I first bought the car and the best it did was 520 with an eighth of a tank lef and doing 120kms/ph... and I'm guessing that was on stock boost as some twit had disconnected the EBC.

I have

SAFCII

Greddy EBC

Metal Cat

3" cat back

always run on BP 98 Ultimate

toyo tyres

running on 10psi

And I have fun sometimes. its hard to stay off boost. :laugh:

my 1st choice of fuel was bp ultimate but of late i've been using vpower i think i'ts improved economy & possibly performance,regulary get 450 to 500 plus

my 1st choice of fuel was bp ultimate but of late i've been using vpower i think i'ts improved economy & possibly performance,regulary get 450 to 500 plus

I switched from bp ultimate to shell vpower a few months ago and noticed my car ran richer, and not as smooth. It was ok at first but eventually I figured my car just didn't run as well as with bp. So I've since switched back to bp ultimate and couldn't be happier. I basically just wanted the savings from the fuel dockets to get 4c a litre off with shell, but noticed that bp was often about 2c a litre cheaper anyway where I live. I'm not a fan of the whole fuel discounts thing - it just means they bump up their prices to accommodate it, and therefore rip off those that dont have dockets on hand...

In my experience bp gives better performance and just makes the car run smoother and generally better all-round.

Fuel economy was about the same on both, couldn't really pick any difference there.

I had my car tuned on bp ultimate - not sure if that would make a difference...it could have affected timing I guess, which at that stage was not advanced at all.

Edited by pixel8r

I switched from bp ultimate to shell vpower a few months ago and noticed my car ran richer, and not as smooth. It was ok at first but eventually I figured my car just didn't run as well as with bp. So I've since switched back to bp ultimate and couldn't be happier. I basically just wanted the savings from the fuel dockets to get 4c a litre off with shell, but noticed that bp was often about 2c a litre cheaper anyway where I live. I'm not a fan of the whole fuel discounts thing - it just means they bump up their prices to accommodate it, and therefore rip off those that dont have dockets on hand...

In my experience bp gives better performance and just makes the car run smoother and generally better all-round.

Fuel economy was about the same on both, couldn't really pick any difference there.

I had my car tuned on bp ultimate - not sure if that would make a difference...it could have affected timing I guess, which at that stage was not advanced at all.

Yea me too. When i first got the car i tried 3 different fuel. Bp, shell and Mobil. I found mobil to be the best of all. It gave most power amongst the 3. My car was tuned on mobil98 . Ben from Rcepace gave me the option of using wither mobil or Bp and i chosed Mobil.After the tune i ran with boost 98 and i cant pick the difference other than the price.

With boost 98 with a/c pn 80% of the time mixed in city driving and HWY (30%-70%) im getting about 430-450km/tank). The car after tune is pumping out 236kw@wheels. So its not bad for the fuel consumption.

• 6 months later...

i found with every car ive had that making sure ur engine is running as good as possible is the key to fuel economy. always check ur coils and spark plugs r in good order, ur tune is spot on and always use a quality filters (oil,air and fuel) always replacing them at required intervals (or a little sooner).

oh and dont carry around crap for no reason. always remember to keep weight as low as possible. depending on how bigger concern economy is u may want to stop using the drive thru window, u'll save fuel and wont get fat from junk food :)

Im using baldwon filters and i think repcos fuel filter. As for air filter im suing K&n drop in replacement filters which runs great with the car. Oil wise im using Castrol cos Ben from racpace wanted to use it. I personally like using Mobil synthetic. Im currently using Castrol 10w-70.

10W70 holy molasses batman !

yeah we are definately running thinner than that .. but I will check for sure.

now.. can someome educate me as to WHY the fuel filter could be causing poor consumption?

I am not saying that its not a valid possiblity but just want to know the reasoning behind it.

Im using baldwon filters and i think repcos fuel filter. As for air filter im suing K&n drop in replacement filters which runs great with the car. Oil wise im using Castrol cos Ben from racpace wanted to use it. I personally like using Mobil synthetic. Im currently using Castrol 10w-70.

yeah I too am debating the S2 myth that it gets better economy.

we have an s2 and can just get 400k till the fill light comes on

we ( stagea owners ) might need to get a bit more methodical about what fix made what fuel econ difference. ( ie start logging it all in this thread etc )

also doesnt really seem like anyone in here has confirmed the working operation of their o2 sensors.

I am close to finally getting off my ass and getting my consult to see if it can read the operation of the o2 sensor while moving etc.

S2 here as well and am only getting 400kms before the light goes up which is around 60L (15L/100km). I would be far happier with 450kms (13.5L/100km) before light if possible. Running hi flow panel filter with TT mbc @ 10psi as the only mods. That's with Boost98 too.

I replaced the O2 sensor with the NGK/NTK one and when the car was in the workshop the other day they tested the O2 levels (or was it CO2?) to check air fuel mixture by sticking a rod into the exhaust connected to a handheld electrical meter thingy while driving around and all the readings were fine. Does that mean the O2 sensor is alright?

Been quoted $500 and for a custom 3" mild steel catback exhaust, very tempting if it guarantees drop of 1-2L/100kms.

yeah I too am debating the S2 myth that it gets better economy.

we have an s2 and can just get 400k till the fill light comes on

we ( stagea owners ) might need to get a bit more methodical about what fix made what fuel econ difference. ( ie start logging it all in this thread etc )

also doesnt really seem like anyone in here has confirmed the working operation of their o2 sensors.

I am close to finally getting off my ass and getting my consult to see if it can read the operation of the o2 sensor while moving etc.

Edited by webng

Well.. i now know the car runs exactly 419.5kms on a full tank of Boost98... the missus couldn't start it this evening as it had run out of petrol. It equates to 15-16L/100kms which in my books is still disgracefull seeing she uses the car 90% of the time and it'd be lucky to see more then 2psi. That was with a bottle of Nulon Injector cleaner in it too.

yeah thats pretty damned poor hey?

One thing I cant seem to get out of anyone are a few things

how many people can categorically say they have a working o2 sensor ?

Ie .. its been checked by reading fluctiating values from the sensor etc.

Another thing I want to know is what is the supposed fuel economy of the stagea

when it came out of the factory? Maybe it was woeful from the very begining and

we are just chasing our tails?

Well.. i now know the car runs exactly 419.5kms on a full tank of Boost98... the missus couldn't start it this evening as it had run out of petrol. It equates to 15-16L/100kms which in my books is still disgracefull seeing she uses the car 90% of the time and it'd be lucky to see more then 2psi. That was with a bottle of Nulon Injector cleaner in it too.

Another thing I want to know is what is the supposed fuel economy of the stagea when it came out of the factory? Maybe it was woeful from the very begining and

we are just chasing our tails?

That's something that would be good to find out. Anyone here know the Stagea factory mileage?

ok....i have a page that i found i hope this helps a little

RS FOUR, PRODUCED FROM 1996 (SEPTEMBER)

-Fuel consumption l/100 = 12.9

RS FOUR, PRODUCED FROM 1997 (JANUARY)

-fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km = 12.9

25t RS FOUR, PRODUCED FROM 1997 (AUGUST)

-Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km = 12.9

25RS FOUR, PRODUCED FROM 1997 (NOVEMBER)

-fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km = 12.1

25t RS FOUR V, PRODUCED FROM 1998 (AUGUST)

- Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km= 11.3

25t RS FOUR S, produced from 1998 (august)

- Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km = 10.6

25t RS FOUR V Produced from 2000 (june)

- Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km =11.3

25t RS FOUR S, produced from 2000 (june)

- Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km =10.6

25RRS FOUR, produced from 2001 (april)

- Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km =11.1

ok....i have a page that i found i hope this helps a little

25t RS FOUR S, produced from 1998 (august)

- Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km = 10.6

Harrah!!!.... I own the most ecconomical stagea possible..... :no:

420-460 repeatedable around town/short freeway/hills

10.5L/100 has been done on the GOR/Otways/FWY

worse economey when i am just using it for general running around coz its all short trips with speed humps/roundabouts.

now.. can someome educate me as to WHY the fuel filter could be causing poor consumption?

I am not saying that its not a valid possiblity but just want to know the reasoning behind it.

i've never seen any proof that a fuel filter can effect fuel economy. but its cheap insurance against leaning ur engine out.