SAU Community

Making Your Stagea A Fuel Miser

groonsnout

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got my combined fuel usage to sit around 15L/100km, so I'm looking at an A:F controller. What are peoples experiences with the SAFC II or GReddy e-Manage? I'm not sure which one to go for yet, they both look to do the same thing.

I know SAFC II aren't made anymore, they've been replaced by the SAFC NEO, but I'd look for a 2nd hand one.

I used the jaycar one on my pulsar, back in the days when I Didnt know much. the underlying problem was really a stuffed AFM - but when I tried to "intercept" the signal and mess with it too much the ECU would add/subract timing - so I was never able to get it 100% perfect.

so those SAFC etc are good for minor corrections but tend to have limitations.

I've got my combined fuel usage to sit around 15L/100km, so I'm looking at an A:F controller. What are peoples experiences with the SAFC II or GReddy e-Manage? I'm not sure which one to go for yet, they both look to do the same thing.

I know SAFC II aren't made anymore, they've been replaced by the SAFC NEO, but I'd look for a 2nd hand one.

if you have the money go for the emanage ultimate. just make shure that you find someone who knows what there doing. i know you can get the ultimate of ebay for round 700 but the install can be pricey as there is no stag loom and you would have to identify each wire and cut and reattach. you got s1 or s2 as someone in wa has a s1 wired up with the emanage and it all worked well

It's only about $500 from nengun, then a bit more for the looms. They say they have an S1 Stagea compatible version, so I don't know why I'd need to hard wire it. I'm in Bathurst, so finding someone to install it is the hard part, I'll probably have to take the car to Sydney.

I'm not after a high powered solution, just something better than what I've got now (nothing) so I might end up getting the standard e-manage.

• 4 weeks later...

I put 56ltrs in her the other day and got 450kms out of her and thats city driving with the occasional boost. and without the fuel light on...

at the moment she is sitting on 395kms with just under a quarter to go.

I must say though, I do coast a lot and read the traffic several cars ahead...

I occasionally give it stick, due to my temper rising some times being stuck behind stinky diesel vans and incompetent drivers.. lol

so whats so special about my car?

SAFCII

Greddy EBC

Apexi Pod

FMIC

and always BP Ultimate!

Edited by StageaGirl

Last lot of Ultimate gave 14L/100, but that was with 60% freeway. The mountain really sucks the gas if you want to have a bit of fun and I usually run the 8psi on the hills. My DFA has finally been fixed. It had a dodgy component. Going to get it put in soon and follow SK instructions. Also a new O2 sensor.

Soon I hope.

what would you expect to gain out of this:

AFC neo

SITC

3" turbo back

bleed valve

im currently getting about 280 to most of a tank (never go under 1/4) most of my driving is done in peak hour, so it explains it, but fark me.

ive replaced the o2 sensor, fuel filter is getting done next week

ill probably do plugs as well...

obviously the tune would help, yes?

cheers

then whats the point of getting a turbo car?! LOL!!

the point is to have power when you need it but ONLY when you need it. When you're just cruising around, the turbo is irrelevant, and you're better off minimizing boost in these conditions.

We'd all love to thrash our cars to bits every day but its just not practical. And for the drive to work, I'd definitely prefer fuel economy to power. All other times, the turbo is awesome.

Hope this makes sense. Its not that we want our cars to drive like a prius...its just that we want the best fuel economy possible for a stagea without losing the ability to boost it up whenever :(

what would you expect to gain out of this:

AFC neo

SITC

3" turbo back

bleed valve

im currently getting about 280 to most of a tank (never go under 1/4) most of my driving is done in peak hour, so it explains it, but fark me.

ive replaced the o2 sensor, fuel filter is getting done next week

ill probably do plugs as well...

obviously the tune would help, yes?

cheers

clean your AFM when its cold with CO contact cleaner...

I got 10.5-14.6l/100 over 1100km

I have had several large cars over the last 30 years, HQ V8's, V8 commodores, Falcons and Mazda 929 and they all used to get around 11 - 13 lt/100Ks. I now get this same figure from my series 2 and none of them had the power I have now. 23 MPG is not that bad from a big car.

umm .. can you clarify something ..

what exactly does that mean ? is 10.5-14.6 a range ? or is that city/highway? or highway/city?

highspeed hills/fwy was the lower end, and combined was the higher. lower was mobil, higher was a mix of 100 and 98ron united ethanol blends. I think i get slightly worse economy on Boost98, but it is meant to be better for the environment, so i will keep using it.

i think i have seen over 15l/100 once or twice.

-Ryan

highspeed hills/fwy was the lower end, and combined was the higher. lower was mobil, higher was a mix of 100 and 98ron united ethanol blends. I think i get slightly worse economy on Boost98, but it is meant to be better for the environment, so i will keep using it.

i think i have seen over 15l/100 once or twice.

-Ryan

doesn't boost98 have ethanol? better for the environment yes but potentially worse for your car. 5% ethanol is probably ok but beware that too much ethanol will corrode your rubber fuel lines. You probably already know this however.

I figure that my car gets very good fuel economy for its size so therefore must be tuned very efficiently and puts out less harmful emissions than when it was stock :)

• 3 weeks later...
doesn't boost98 have ethanol? better for the environment yes but potentially worse for your car. 5% ethanol is probably ok but beware that too much ethanol will corrode your rubber fuel lines. You probably already know this however.

I figure that my car gets very good fuel economy for its size so therefore must be tuned very efficiently and puts out less harmful emissions than when it was stock :domokun:

fuel lines, injectors, fuel pump seals ETC, 5% occasionally normally with half a tank of mobil in the bottom seems okay... my mechanic and his peers use 10% 100ron as its near the shop, no issues yet... been a few years.