SAU Community

OK pps

I have an R32 GTR - with near new excedy h/d clutch kit installed. It's been installed for about 5-6000 klms or so and it's been fine.

BUT

In the last week or so - I've been getting in intermittent hissing noise from inside the car ??

At first I thought it was coming from the air con – but even when it's off – I can still get the hissing

I've done some investigation - and I think it's coming from the clutch (peddle)

stop that laughing – I don't do drugs (any more :))

Form time to time (maybe once per day) - I can feel the clutch peddle go slightly heavy and then when I press the peddle I get a hissing sound coming from the foot well.

I can not hear it from outside the car (not a bearing) - and it's sounds like a air / vacuum leak coming from somewhere under the dash.

When it's doing it, I can literally just touch the peddle on and off (not actually engaging the clutch) and I will hear the noise. It will also keep hissing all the way through the travel of the peddle (all the way in and out) - told you it was not a bearing :D

then it just stops – and the peddle feel returns to normal

talk to me - am I hearing things ?

I believe GTR's run a vac booster for the clutch. Much like all the new nissan 4wd's do.

I'd say its stuffed. :)

Yep, I got the same problem. Been like that for a few months now. Haven't gotten round to fixing it. Not sure what long term effects it may cause - i've been assured there are none.

The GTR has a vacuum booster on the clutch. To temporarily stop the hissing you could disconnect the vaccum line that goes into the clutch booster and plug it - however your clutch pedal will become 3 times harder to engage.

To fix you need to replace vaccum booster.

Might be worth checking out a navara or something as the booster may be similiar and bolt up without too much trouble.

Wonder what Nissan would want new for a gtr item.... :S

Second hand + a heavy duty clutch its just a matter of when it does it again. Being 10-15yr old and all. :(

Does any one have pics of the booster? Its been some time since I've seen one and able to run out and check the Navara. Funny enough a few things on the navara are the same as the R32. :) The door latch mounted on the door frame is one that comes to mind. :(

I believe GTR's run a vac booster for the clutch. Much like all the new nissan 4wd's do.

I'd say its stuffed. :)

OK

at serious response at last

where is this thing - and do I need to remove the engine to get at it :(

• 1 month later...

Awakening a dead thread...

Got this problem with my R33 clutch booster as well.

THe booster is located in the engine bay inbetween the firewall and clutch MC.

There is long term repercussions for not fixiing it. The nylon bushing in the clutch pedal will crush and wear out, then the pin will run directly on the pedal and wear the bushing hole and damage the pin.

I fixed my bushing issue by machining a brass one up, then found this thread which explains why its happened in the first place!

Cheers,

Ian

I have an R32 GTR and it had the exact same problem. It was making a hissing noise when you push in the clutch. I got it fixed sometime last year and it's not a big thing. I think the part cost $120 or so and was charged maybe $60 for labour? Once it was done the pedal was lighter to push down on and I guess if it's vacuum assisted you know when it's really stuffed when you have to push alot harder to get it working.

I would say most mechanics in brissy can replace it fairly easy for you I got it done at a local mechanic no problems.

GL