SAU Community

Accident In The Burnley Tunnel

West

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21432579-2,00.html

THREE people are reported dead and others are feared trapped in a tunnel fire which broke out after a collision between three cars and a truck on one of Melbourne's busiest commuter routes this morning.

Sky News has reported that three people have died, while a police spokeswoman said it was unclear how many other people have been injured in the incident, which has closed the Burnley and Domain tunnels.

Cars were seen reversing out of the Burnley Tunnel and hundreds of commuters were fleeing the scene on foot after the fire broke out in the tunnel shortly after 10am.

Smoke was pouring from the tunnel vents and the fire is believed to have spread to an electricity substation.

At least 10 fire trucks are at the scene.

A truck driver said he had stopped in traffic about 1km inside the tunnel when he heard two explosions.

"I'd been sitting there a couple of minutes, the next thing there was an explosion further down in the tunnel and the car shook and about 50 seconds later there was another one," the man, identified as John, said.

"The next thing we were told to evacuate and leave our keys in the car and I turned around and walked out."

A taxi driver, identified as Cliff, told the radio station he was among several hundred people evacuated from the King Street end of the tunnel.

He said overhead signs instructed drivers to stop and turn their engines off.

"Then came the announcement that we had to evacuate the tunnel, we just walked out, slowly walked out. And here we are now, a couple of hundred of us," he said.

The Burnley Tunnel is an east-bound tunnel joining the West Gate Freeway to the Monash Freeway.

It runs under the Yarra River and allows transprot to bypass Melbourne's CBD.

VicRoads advised motorists travelling on the West Gate and Monash freeways to expect delays as a result of the closure of the tunnels.

Traffic as being diverted at Warrigal Road on the Monash and Montague Street on the West Gate Freeway.

Just heard that there was an accident in the tunnel which was evacuated. Sounds pretty serious.

Taken from Nine MSN:

2303_tunnel1_reader.jpg

At least three people are reported to have been killed after three trucks and a car collided at speed inside Melbourne's Burnley Tunnel this morning.

Smoke was billowing from the tunnel after several of the vehicles exploded in flames.

advertisement

Police have confirmed one death, but National Nine News understands another two have been killed.

Several hundred people fled the tunnel, leaving their cars behind, a witness told radio.

A truck driver who spoke to Southern Cross Broadcasting said he had stopped in traffic about 1km inside the tunnel when he heard two explosions.

"I'd been sitting there a couple of minutes, the next thing there was an explosion further down in the tunnel and the car shook and about 50 seconds later there was another one," the man, identified as John, said.

"The next thing we were told to evacuate and leave our keys in the car and I turned around and walked out."

A taxi driver, identified as Cliff, told the radio station he was among several hundred people evacuated from the King Street end of the tunnel.

He said overhead signs instructed drivers to stop and turn their engines off.

"Then came the announcement that we had to evacuate the tunnel, we just walked out, slowly walked out. And here we are now, a couple of hundred of us," he told Southern Cross Broadcasting.

"It was fairly orderly, everyone was pretty cool actually.

More to come

I only just heard about this....according to reports a trucks tire burst and it pulled over. I'd imagine either people slowing down to rubber neck or the truck itself was hit and it snowballed from there.....

From what I heard earlier on ten news was that a car had broken down, two cars were behind it and a truck from behind went over all three cars and killed the people inside these cars.

Just been to South Melbourne for a meeting and traffic is flowing fine Westgate direction. Even on the Kings Way over pass it is fine so can presume that inbound is closed only. That said there is a traffic vehicle blocking vehicles from joining at the Kings Way on ramp.

RIP to the deceased :nyaanyaa:

Bloody Trucks in the Tunnel, it seems like they dont' give a rat about speed camera or something, they always speed and not to consider while driving next to them, all i see is 98% of them use re-cap tire in the back.

Also there is a major GAS LEAK somewhere, looks like i have to drive to the city and pick the missus up later because Malvern Train Station has stop operating due to the GAS LEAK.

Black friday.

RIP to those people who has lost their lives in the tunnel.

Would suck to be in the tunnel huh! At least emergency plans went well. Reminds me of a movie...

Where is this man when you need him

SylvesterStallone.jpg

and you could make a sequel to this movie

70857.jpg

my thoughts exactly!

that tunnel is only like 200 metres from my work, luckily wind blowing in a northly or my job site would be covered in it.

Hope we've heard the worst, the prnices hwy heading inbound is shocking.

And yep about gas leak alot of mavlern is shut down lol, drove past on the way home cops everywhere.. again melbourne is having a bad day.

Edited by B-rad33

Updated news release:

hree people have died and three were taken to hospital after a collision between four cars and three trucks inside Melbourne's busy cross-city Burnley Tunnel this morning, authorities say.

The accident occurred shortly after 10am (AEDT) and it sent black smoke pouring from stacks above the city centre tunnel and caused traffic gridlock.

It caused the closure and evacuation of both the Burnley and Domain tunnels.

The 3.4km Burnley tunnel - which passes under the Yarra River to bypass the CBD - joins the West Gate Freeway with the Monash Freeway.

advertisement

Police Assistant Commissioner Noel Ashby told a joint press conference of emergency authorities and Premier Steve Bracks that the death toll could still rise.

"We're still at this stage trying to scope if there is even greater loss of life," he said.

"It's catastrophic down the tunnel ... it's a major, major incident that has occurred so it will take us some time before we can actually talk about the specifics (of what happened) and ultimately we may have to leave the specifics to the coroner."

Truck driver Matt Galea said he saw flames reach the roof of the tunnel and felt shock waves from a series of explosions little more than 100 metres in front of him.

"Being in the cab I was a bit higher than other motorists and could see over the vehicles in front and just saw these huge flames hit the roof.

"The next thing I knew was the emergency system instructing all drivers to stop their cars, turn off their ignitions, and leave their cars.

"We were all evacuated straight back out of the tunnel from the same entrance."

Victoria's Premier Steve Bracks paid his condolences to the families of at least three people killed in the accident.

Mr Bracks said about 400 people were evacuated after the crash and about 200 cars were left in the tunnel.

He praised the response from emergency services, saying 84 firefighters were at the scene within minutes.

The CityLink crisis emergency plan was effectively activated, which included a fire deluge system, an evacuation plan, smoke ventilation and a radio broadcast system, he said.

"This is a difficult time, a time which requires the patience of motorists and I'm sure that will be forthcoming," he said.

People were being registered at the scene to ensure they were accounted for.

VicRoads advised motorists travelling on the West Gate and Monash freeways to expect delays as a result of the closure of the Domain and Burnley tunnels.

Traffic was being diverted at Warrigal Road on the Monash and Montague Street on the West Gate Freeway.

The tunnel remained closed following the smash, which left as many as 500 people standing at the western entrance.

Emergency services and CityLink officials registered evacuees and also supplied bottles of water and snacks to motorists, who faced a long wait on a hot day before returning to their vehicles.

Mr Bracks said the state coroner would undertake a full investigation into the incident.

He asked for commuters to be patient, with traffic congestion expected to last well into the Friday afternoon peak period.

"Our condolences go out to the families and friends of those who died in the accident today, there are three confirmed deaths," he told reporters at a news conference.

Police Assistant Commissioner Noel Ashby could not confirm the exact circumstances of the accident, but said it involved three semi-trailers and four cars.

CityLink spokeswoman Jean Ker Walsh confirmed a vehicle had broken down in the left-hand lane and the accident occurred very quickly, before a CityLink recovery vehicle could respond.

Mr Ashby said police hoped to obtain footage of the incident within 24 hours that would shed more light on what happened.

He said the tunnel was expected to remain closed for up to 12 hours while the major collision investigation unit examined the scene and the wreckage was cleared.