SAU Community

Cracked My Front Bar

_MRR33

Hey there,

I recently cracked my front bar driving near roadworks a few days ago. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to repair cracks in frontbars as I need to get this repaired.

I know that I could go to a smash repairs place, however they'd charge more then a backyard job. I'm hoping to get out of it as cheap as I can with a decent repair job.

If anyone can help me out, post here or PM me and leave a quote too that'd be good. I'll attach a photo so you can see the damage.

By the way, I'm living in Logan on the Southside of Brisbane, willing to travel to get it repaired however.

Thanks.

post-29901-1174632404.jpg

hey buddy in all honsty it is not hard at all.

go down to your local bunnings and get a fiberglass kit. last time i checked was like 50-60.

sand down and around the crack itself. apply fiberglass to the front and rear to reinforce it. and use a roller to flatten it so there is no air bubbles when it dries. really dosnt matter if the area that your fiberglassing isnt level. as you will sand it level.

after it dries get some 800grit sandpaper and start sanding it down. (depending on how ruff it dries will determine which sand paper you will need to start with) after it has been resonably level get some 1500 (very fine) and give it a once over.

trust me, give it ago yourself and you will be amazed at how easy it actually is.

Edited by HKS99

Dude I wouldnt start with 800 you will be there for weeks. start with like 80 and go up to like 320 ready for primer. Primer wont stick to 1500grit

yeah true depending on how thick you reinforce it however. i usually never have had cracks that are very deep.

so 1 to 2 layers.

i have given it a final down in 1500 to remove any last deep/uneven fiberglass and prime filler sticks to it fine mate?

Edited by HKS99

Mate if youre not sure what you are doing for all the time and effort take it to a pro, its worth it in the long run.

Call showdown customs 3353 1260 he is pretty cheap and does a quick job.

Mate if youre not sure what you are doing for all the time and effort take it to a pro, its worth it in the long run.

Call showdown customs 3353 1260 he is pretty cheap and does a quick job.

Thanks, I'll give him a call on Monday. Where abouts are they located?

Thanks, I'll give him a call on Monday. Where abouts are they located?

They are located at Everton hills, probly worth the drive.

Ive had a few things done by him.

Good luck with it.

yeah true depending on how thick you reinforce it however. i usually never have had cracks that are very deep.

so 1 to 2 layers.

i have given it a final down in 1500 to remove any last deep/uneven fiberglass and prime filler sticks to it fine mate?

it will look like its sticks but the first hit it has and it will start flaking off but that will depend on how much you rubbed it with 800 first

Dude I wouldnt start with 800 you will be there for weeks. start with like 80 and go up to like 320 ready for primer. Primer wont stick to 1500grit

thats right i know i do it 4 a job and it wont stick 2 1500 and take 4 ever