SAU Community

Installed Hids On My R33!

sl33ek

Hi guys,

finally got around to installing HIDs on my car, its something I been wanting to do for ages. I got the kit off ebay. Took me three hours, most of it mucking around reading the manual, trialling and figuring out what wire plugs where. There was some drilling involved, I bolted one ballast on my washer bottle (don't laugh, I bolted it at the top so it wont leak) and I riveted the other on my pod heat shield.

Anyway I'm really happy with the results and recommend it to anyone. Installed it tonight and just got back from a drive. The light is pure white and it lights up road signs and reflective road markings amazingly well. I havn't adjusted it yet but it seems pretty level and is pointing at the ground. I might adjust it downwards more so I don't blind anyone

Its the 6000K one so I'm hoping it has hints of blue from far away, but up close its just white. What do you guys think?

imgp0890mb3.jpg

imgp0895gc6.jpg

imgp0896zq5.jpg

imgp0906hz5.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks great man...my bros s2k has them as well, and it just looks soo mad at night.....

me thinks that i should do something like what you did too....

Thanks guys. I just finished adjusting it, got it to point more to the ground as my mate said it was a little blinding when I was behind him but all good now.

I had to buy an 8mm socket and an extra small socket wrench because that nut is a bitch to get to on the washer bottle side

I love the s2k ones too when you look directly at it, it twinkles blue and violet and not dazzling to the eyes at all

Yeah the HIDs were H1s which meant it swapped directly with the stock H1s. I had to make a hole in the plastic lid that allows you to get the bulb out and route the HID's wires through

S2000 look good because they are projectors, and hence, will "twinkle"

these kits however, will not. All they'll do will blind on-coming traffic.

Could you take a pic of your car pointing at a garage door/wall etc?

S2000 look good because they are projectors, and hence, will "twinkle"

these kits however, will not. All they'll do will blind on-coming traffic.

Could you take a pic of your car pointing at a garage door/wall etc?

yup, can you take a pic facing the wall...

Looks pretty crap looking at the pictures of the light itself - heaps of glare.

Looking at the picture on the garage wall, there isn't a very clear cut off. There is a lot of glare coming up.

There are also major hotspots. lighting is supposed to be as uniform as possible in the area that the light shines. OEM hid is quite uniform in its distribution.

Although it doesn't look very bright above where the main part of the light is, I bet if you put your head there, and looked at it for 10 seconds, you'll be seeing white spots when you look around.

When you drive around, I bet all the streets signs have gone fluoro. This means it's glaring people.

Overall, I'm not a big fan at all.

I'd also like to add, that as the light has been hotspotted, as you have more light in that area than you did previously, you have less light in other places.

The net effect is more glare for oncoming traffic, less useable light for you. You end up pointing the light done, so you get less distance, and once again, crappier less useful light. You also have a good chance of getting defected. If you have an accident at night, the other driver is quite rightly entitled to blame you saying that your headlights caused them to be dazzled (even if that may not have happened). The police will be called, and there's a good chance your insurance will be voided.

No offense intended here but here goes...

You can see in the photos you have glaring and hot spots- these are bad and you don't want these, infact looking at the photos again they look really really bad.

The light might be brighter, but it's not going in the right spots. Look at your front bar, it's illuminated (it shouldn't be directly illuminated). This happens because the optics in the headlight isn't suitable for the lumens and the light dispersion/characteristics of the HID bulbs. Same as the glowing clouds of glare you can see in and around your headlight source and also the hot spots you can see at the bottom of your pot plants/door in the last photo.

In short you can take it or leave it (people do far worse things to/with their cars) but I wouldn't recommend an install of those HID kits into r33 headlights. You can just scrape through with r32/s13/a31 projectors with minimal glaring/hot spots but r33 headlights are NOT at all suitable for these kits.

If you are enterprising - for the ultimate HID lights I'd recommend hitting up http://hidplanet.com/forums for how people have done their proper retrofits!

Hey CC/manwhore,

yeah I've taken it on board. I had a quick squiz at that HID site, I didnt know people were so passionate with lights and so against kits. I was worried about blinding ppl when I bought it too. I've only driven my car on Friday and Saturday nights so far with the kit and I've had no one flash me.. yet. I'm going to trial it for a few weeks and see if I get flashed and if I do, as much as I like the lights I'll remove it.

I have gotten out of my car at night and looked at it from about 20 feet and honestly it doesnt look that bad, its not that much different than looking directly at any other factory HID. In the day time its even less noticable. I've got it adjusted to as low as it will go which shines directly on the ground about 15 feet in front of the car.

But yeah you're right if it annoys people and I get flashes from other drivers its coming off

I keep posting up how bad HID kits are when people ask about them first, but most people don't seem to listen to me. Others don't ask and then go ahead and get sucked in by the marketing bling bling on the hid kit pictures.

SAU really does need a lighting section, with a FAQ. So many other forums have these, with pictures of proper hid, and pictures of shit hid.

I have a sI and sII r33 headlight here on my test bench and have pictures of the crappy light cut off, hot spots etc. Also have a few other different lights too. It's ridiculous how people are able to sell that absolute crap. It's misrepresentation and misleading and deceptive conduct.

cc, that is a good thing for him to read. CC, I see I may have finally convinced you at last that those hid kits are not all that they're made out to be.

May I also suggest Gengis, that you google daniel stern lighting - he's got a very nice summary of the dos and don'ts for lighting.

So gengis, in effect, you have installed something that is more glary (trust me, it is, wait till you drive on coming to someone with a ricer kit installed too), and it in fact has less useable light, since it's pointed closer than what your halogens were. That's not very good is it!

PS: I don't mean anything bad, just providing information about light (one of my interests).

Edited by MANWHORE

hey there buddy.. I was hoping you mention what is a good HID kit (and hopefully mention some brand names) but u didn't..

If I am unable to get the OEM xenons back on.. which route should I take?

cheers mate =)

I keep posting up how bad HID kits are when people ask about them first, but most people don't seem to listen to me. Others don't ask and then go ahead and get sucked in by the marketing bling bling on the hid kit pictures.

SAU really does need a lighting section, with a FAQ. So many other forums have these, with pictures of proper hid, and pictures of shit hid.

I have a sI and sII r33 headlight here on my test bench and have pictures of the crappy light cut off, hot spots etc. Also have a few other different lights too. It's ridiculous how people are able to sell that absolute crap. It's misrepresentation and misleading and deceptive conduct.

There is no such thing as a good kit period. Halogen housings have different optics to xenon housings, so they cannot focus the light properly. End of story. The only option is a retrofit of oem hid into the housing.

I'm guessing that you hvae an r34 gtt? with the xenons that have been converted from compliance?

I forgot the blokes name, but there's someone with a black r34 on here who put a kit converted headlights. The light output was crap, because the kit puts the focal point of the bulb in the wrong spot.

Go oem. r34 headlights aren't that expensive. I've seen them go for $600 for the pair in perfect nic.

Hey CC/manwhore,

yeah I've taken it on board. I had a quick squiz at that HID site, I didnt know people were so passionate with lights and so against kits. I was worried about blinding ppl when I bought it too. I've only driven my car on Friday and Saturday nights so far with the kit and I've had no one flash me.. yet. I'm going to trial it for a few weeks and see if I get flashed and if I do, as much as I like the lights I'll remove it.

I have gotten out of my car at night and looked at it from about 20 feet and honestly it doesnt look that bad, its not that much different than looking directly at any other factory HID. In the day time its even less noticable. I've got it adjusted to as low as it will go which shines directly on the ground about 15 feet in front of the car.

But yeah you're right if it annoys people and I get flashes from other drivers its coming off

ive been using HID in my r33 for 2 years now and in c class for 7 months or so, and i NEVER get flashed. almost every night i drive my car to my gf's house or to my mate's house in the city(i live in chads area).

well each to their own i guess. if you dont like it then leave it. im sick hearing ppl say this crap that crap etc... no offense.

Edited by BiAsA