SAU Community

Removing Front And Rear Struts

MRO

I have just picked up a set of coil overs and need to hand over my standard struts (i think thats what you call them) in exchange. Are these hard to remove? I assume you undo the top 3 bolts in the engine bay and then there is a large bolt at the bottom.

I have never looked under the stag before so it will be a first for me tonight. I have changed springs in several other cars so doent think it should be a problem Has anyone else done this and how hard and how long did it take?

I have just picked up a set of coil overs and need to hand over my standard struts (i think thats what you call them) in exchange. Are these hard to remove? I assume you undo the top 3 bolts in the engine bay and then there is a large bolt at the bottom.

I have never looked under the stag before so it will be a first for me tonight. I have changed springs in several other cars so doent think it should be a problem Has anyone else done this and how hard and how long did it take?

Hey mate its easy as ive done mine a few times now.

for the front end....

undo wheels and remove strut brace in engine bay by undoing the 3 bolts on strut tops as u said, then undo a single nut on the bottom of the coilover and slide the strut out :) dont forget to take the brake line off the strut before removal

rear end..

take wheels off and then take tops off strut tops in the cargo area and remove the 2 nuts on each side and then a single nut on bottom of strut and brake lines and it will come out :D

pretty basic, probably a 1/2 hour job to get all 4 out for your first go...

hope it helps mate

You will also most likely need a breaker bar to crack the nuts the first time they are removed.

A person will also be most likely required when installing the new struts to force the hub down for the coilover to fit in the allowed space.

You are right about the breaker bar! i cant move the bottom nuts on any of the struts.

I am meant to take the struts in tomorrow so i am desperately trying to loosen them. Any suggestions? How has everyone else done this in the shed at home?

You are right about the breaker bar! i cant move the bottom nuts on any of the struts.

I am meant to take the struts in tomorrow so i am desperately trying to loosen them. Any suggestions? How has everyone else done this in the shed at home?

WD40 and muscle torque. At the end of the day in those cases there's no special thing it's just concentrated force so make sure you're going the right way and heave into it!

get a longer breaker bar[put a extension pipe on it]

I have just changed the rear struts, it took longer to jack the car and remove the wheels than it did to replace the struts. I did have to use a hammer on the spanner to crack the lower bolts. All up it took about 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour to replace them.

R33 rear struts do not fit on the Stagea. The top mounts and springs are a bigger diameter than the Stagea.

After much searching, I ended up getting some 2nd hand after market Stagea rear struts, which seem to be an improvment over the originals.