SAU Community

Alternator Replacement

HiOctane

hi all, i get the impression its a relatively easy job to replace the alternator on a gts-t, but it looks pretty hard to get it out from the top on a gtr (piping and radiator would have to be removed). workshop manual says that there are no additional components to remove, so does it mean that it should be taken out from the bottom??

has anyone done this? should i attepmt doing this myself? havent done much mech job before,,,

Done mine after it died. Basically remove top radiator hose and intercooler pipe, then undo bolts back off belt etc, and wiring.

Took me two hours start to finish and drive.

Looks like it would be harder doing it from the bottom but thats just me.

hey if anyone is interested i can put up a DIY when i finish this... one more question meanwhile, how do you loosen the a/c screw (i.e. the belt)??

and the radiator needs to be drained, right? or is it possible to unscrew the bolts somehow around the pipes?

• 2 weeks later...

k, got it out finally, took me like 3 hours, but i'm a total newb, didnt have to drain anything, all bolts are accessible from the top and took it out through the bottom (after removing the dust cover) not to damage fan blades. some wd-40 on one of the connectors was a help as well, now to the shop to get the bich reconditioned!

• 1 month later...

You should add as pro when they buy it they get to drive it back down the mountain obviously so its a win win situation. Awesome first drive of their new car! Haha, just a thought.

As for the Alternator:

It depends whats wrong with it but i was quoted $160 i think it was for new brushes, bearings, and regulator.

Edited by Godzilla32