SAU Community

Coolant Temp Sensor Drama

040jqm

Hey guys, for early r32 rb20det

Ive replaced coolant temp sensor 2 times, and replaced plug once, i can not find any problem with loom yet ECU still is reading Error 13 (Coolant Temp Sensor) - i know this is ECU pin 28 - what should this read at operating temp, and is there a way to bypass it or trick it into think all is well, as car is running rich as a mofo permanently and is basically undriveable

Edited by 040jqm

cant work out where to find that wire in the loom, as it is all taped and covered in conduit....

it says 1v at 80deg, 3v at 20deg, so can i technically just bridge a wire from pin 27 which is AFM related and should only read from 1-1.5v

something simple you may allready know but there is two temp sensors on the engine one for the cluster and one for the ecu the one with the single spade/wire on it is for the cluster and the two pin one is for the ecu.

is the sensor you replaced the two pin one or the single pin one?

cant work out where to find that wire in the loom, as it is all taped and covered in conduit....

it says 1v at 80deg, 3v at 20deg, so can i technically just bridge a wire from pin 27 which is AFM related and should only read from 1-1.5v

just try between the temp sensor and the ecu connector, no need to dig through the loom.

ok checked the voltage at the coolant temp sensor and ecu and they were both the same!!!
They should be
i have reset the ecu, and the code disappears, but comes back a few starts later!!!
According to the good book, error 13 is "Break or short circuit in engine temperature sensor signal system"

I'm guessing you have a break somewhere in the wire, but it only breaks the circuit under some strange orientation condition. I would guess it will be close to the plug onto the sensor. Try wiggling the wire while measuring ohms between the plug and the ECU end.